Red Bulls Vs New England

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
1-0, N.J. off a 17th minute goal by Alexander. Robles has made two great saves to keep the Revolution off the board.

Looks like the got themselves a pretty decent crowd up there in Foxboro.

Game is on MSG+ for those who have it on their cable system.

I also saw somewhere that this weekend MLS Live is free. Though it doesn't really matter at this point.

As usual Robles is looking great. Eric Alexander is such a consistantly good player too. He's the guy on your team that seems to hide under the radar but always seems to be in the right place doing the right thing.

All in all, RB are lookong good considering Henry, Cahill, Dax, Miller and Olave are out.

And holy shit I had no idea Fagundez is 19. I knew he was young but seeing his graduation video FROM HIGH SCHOOL was pretty nuts.

2-0 final.

The game was all Robles. He had 10 saves and I bet there were at least 5 that were higlight material.

Reactions: einwindir
Would this game have been at the typical standard for MLS or was is better/worse?

I watched it with some high expectation as NE are top of the league and it was a bit of a derby NY v Boston. It wasn't awful but there was little fluidity on either team and the only player who was noticeably good was the Red Bulls keeper.

If that is the standard then IMO MLS needs to open the gates more to get some better talent in across all the teams. Let them have 6 DPs or a higher over all wage limit. There are tonnes of players world wide who would be glad to be in the growing MLS and would improve the level of entertainment.

My impression was even though there was a decent crowd, they were not entertained by thrilling competition (high tempo physical battles) or individual skill or impressive teamwork. It was a poor spectacle.

I'd be interested to watch another 3 or 4 games - maybe this was just a bad example (although the 10 minute bit of the Toronto game that I watched the other night was boring too and the last Red Bull game was ok but full of errors).

I'm not putting down the MLS - Just trying to understand if more.

Would this game have been at the typical standard for MLS or was is better/worse?

I watched it with some high expectation as NE are top of the league and it was a bit of a derby NY v Boston. It wasn't awful but there was little fluidity on either team and the only player who was noticeably good was the Red Bulls keeper.

If that is the standard then IMO MLS needs to open the gates more to get some better talent in across all the teams. Let them have 6 DPs or a higher over all wage limit. There are tonnes of players world wide who would be glad to be in the growing MLS and would improve the level of entertainment.

My impression was even though there was a decent crowd, they were not entertained by thrilling competition (high tempo physical battles) or individual skill or impressive teamwork. It was a poor spectacle.

I'd be interested to watch another 3 or 4 games - maybe this was just a bad example (although the 10 minute bit of the Toronto game that I watched the other night was boring too and the last Red Bull game was ok but full of errors).

I'm not putting down the MLS - Just trying to understand if more.

I didn't watch this match, but I'll say a few things:

You're absolutely right that MLS needs to bring in more talent. I don't think more DPs are the answer but rather a higher wage limit. Stars aren't the problem, it's the everyday guys that MLS can afford to bring in and keep that are where the league suffers.

MLS matches can be very tough to watch depending on who you watch. Since Houston is close by, I try to watch Dynamo match and those can cause physical pain. However, if you know the right teams it can be fun. Seattle are a joy to watch. Real Salt Lake is very good, especially once they get their World Cup players back. Chivas matches are like watching someone playing a video game (against Chivas, mind you). New England is top of the league, but they've managed to take advantage of the fact that they didn't lose anyone to the World Cup and haven't had any double game weeks which can put more stress on the players and rotations.

Nothing about New England screams "This is what makes MLS so great!" They're team is boring. Their stadium is boring. Their fans are boring. Definitely watch other games. World Cup time is a waste though.