Salary Cap

Caleb

Registered
Nov 22, 2014
I feel as if the Salary cap and all of the other money restrictions in place are screwing the MLS over. They wanna keep young talent here, but when clubs across seas can offer more, they're gonna take it.
Do you think our structure is good how it is? Or should it be the same as all of the world.

I feel as if the Salary cap and all of the other money restrictions in place are screwing the MLS over. They wanna keep young talent here, but when clubs across seas can offer more, they're gonna take it.
Do you think our structure is good how it is? Or should it be the same as all of the world.
Its good because it stops the clubs from killing each other to sign players. Pro soccer has a history of "arms races" for players, this is what doomed the once popular NASL 1.0.
By agreeing to be a single-entity and limiting the salary cap, MLS makes all the clubs worry about the success of the other clubs. It also makes everyone play on the same field, leveling it for the big spenders to frugal ones.

Will it last forever or does anyone in MLS think this will sustain them in their goal to be a top world football league? No. And over time the cap has been growing and the ability to spend has been loosening. But MLS is right to keep financial controls in place and change them slower.

I know its rather slightly disjointed now the way it is, but I like that as opposed to seeing the league fail.

Last edited:
Exactly as Magnus said, it's needed. In the future, as we're seeing ATM, the reigns will be loosened over time. As a non-American sports fan, the whole structure was confusing at first; but after working it out, it actually makes for a really entertaining league.