Saunders Suspended

Initially thought it was harsh but he did catch Yartey in the knee with his studs. Pretty reckless so fair punishment. Shame considering his form though.

Reactions: Kjbert
Studs up into the shins/knees? At least he got his money's worth for the punishment. GK is one place where we have good backups. Not too concerned about this.

if this is what MLS does then i hope MLS is consistent with giving out suspensions after games are done. and also each and every single leg/ studs up to be automatic suspension.

EDIT: just annoyed this comes day before the actual game. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Errata24
thanks for the info. but how consistent has the committee been in past incidents?
Over on BigSoccer, they have an annual thread following all of the Disciplinary Committee (DisCo) decisions. Many of the decisions and non-decisions often baffle many of us, but they do often get it right.

thanks for the info. but how consistent has the committee been in past incidents?

Not arguing that they have been consistent, just sharing the rules that purportedly govern how/why they issue post-match suspensions. For Saunders, the referee saw it and didn't take any action. That's why in the disciplinary opinion notes that it was unanimous. Apparently they unanimously agreed that the video showed "a clear and unequivocal" red card.

I'm still fairly new to MLS, so someone with more expertise feel free to correct me, but of the games I have watched so far this season (including, but not limited to NYCFC matches) there have been some pretty heavy handed calls. Saunders is the first post-match disciplinary action I have seen this season, but perhaps there have been other incidents (I could only find an MLS page only shows current disciplinary matters, not one that shows cumulatively what has happened this season). Are MLS players really that much more egregious and reckless in nature that there are many more straight reds than other leagues? Or does it have to do with the refereeing? My hunch is the latter. But again, I could be wrong.

FWIW, after watching the Saunders video a second time, I hadn't noticed that his right foot/studs were up so high. Definitely didn't notice it from behind the goal when I was at the game

Edit: 4 413Blue can you link to the thread? I only found Week 1 info

Last edited:
I'm still fairly new to MLS, so someone with more expertise feel free to correct me, but of the games I have watched so far this season (including, but not limited to NYCFC matches) there have been some pretty heavy handed calls. Saunders is the first post-match disciplinary action I have seen this season, but perhaps there have been other incidents (I could only find an MLS page only shows current disciplinary matters, not one that shows cumulatively what has happened this season).

On the bottom of the article, it links to each weeks DisCo action from this season. There have been a couple of retroactive suspensions so far.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...s-new-york-city-fc-goalkeeper-josh-saunders-o

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/official-2015-mls-disco-discussion.2017472/

Reactions: danger
Not the first time this season that Saunders seems to momentarily forget he can use his hands. Anyone remember the home game where he randomly cleared a cross with his legs? Can't remember which one. Guy gives me a heart attack at least once a game.

That said, this retroactive suspension stuff is bullshit. I'm not even sure it's a foul myself.

Not arguing that they have been consistent, just sharing the rules that purportedly govern how/why they issue post-match suspensions. For Saunders, the referee saw it and didn't take any action. That's why in the disciplinary opinion notes that it was unanimous. Apparently they unanimously agreed that the video showed "a clear and unequivocal" red card.

I'm still fairly new to MLS, so someone with more expertise feel free to correct me, but of the games I have watched so far this season (including, but not limited to NYCFC matches) there have been some pretty heavy handed calls. Saunders is the first post-match disciplinary action I have seen this season, but perhaps there have been other incidents (I could only find an MLS page only shows current disciplinary matters, not one that shows cumulatively what has happened this season). Are MLS players really that much more egregious and reckless in nature that there are many more straight reds than other leagues? Or does it have to do with the refereeing? My hunch is the latter. But again, I could be wrong.

FWIW, after watching the Saunders video a second time, I hadn't noticed that his right foot/studs were up so high. Definitely didn't notice it from behind the goal when I was at the game

I'm new too that's why asked. But i do believe it felt like it was "arguable" not "clear cut" but we'll see how our back up will do.

Still this is another blow to an already depleted team.