Soccer Fans In The Us

Caleb

Registered
Nov 22, 2014
I read an article that Soccer fans in America are just a carbon copy of fans overseas.
It stated we need to find a way to make ourselves different from all of the other supporters across the world and not do the whole "Tifo" and scarfs deal, but to emulate the american football supporter style.
Thoughts?
I have found the article http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291

Last edited:
I do think we should do things our own way, and MLS continue to do league things in a unique way.

My take: Just do you. You like scarves, then wear a scarf. You like a hoody, then wear a hoody. Whatever it is, just do it and get over high school shit. Anyone with a problem with what you do can go to hell. I've encountered this "US soccer fan derivative" argument before. What a waste of time. In the end, it doesn't matter.

My thoughts would be "why do US soccer fans have to be different from every other type of soccer fan?" Does every country have to have a different fan culture, because that's a huge amount of different types of fan we'll have to invent to keep everyone separate? Or is there some perceived belief that if the US even remotely resembles anyone else then you're doing it wrong?

Reactions: Ike Podell and Paul
I read an article that Soccer fans in America are just a carbon copy of fans overseas.
It stated we need to find a way to make ourselves different from all of the other supporters across the world and not do the whole "Tifo" and scarfs deal, but to emulate the american football supporter style.
Thoughts?
What article was this? (And yes, i'm going to go out on a limb and assume it does not exist, but you though this would be a great way to troll us)

Reactions: Paul
Having read that article, it seems that the question is slightly different. It's not so much a case of "do US soccer fans need to find an identity" as it asks the question "why aren't US soccer fans acting like US fans of other sports?" The article seems to almost take offence to the idea that US soccer fans don't behave in the traditional style of US sports fans. Obviously I can't really comment here because I'm not American and you can decide how you want to act for yourselves I'm sure, but it does seem a little silly that someone gets upset simply because a group of people dare to take their cues from a foreign source. That said, I've seen enough examples of it before that I'm not terribly shocked by the idea.

Reactions: Pattyboybx and Paul
Thoughts?
I have found the article http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291
I know European football. Why should I purposely stop myself from supporting from
Having read that article, it seems that the question is slightly different. It's not so much a case of "do US soccer fans need to find an identity" as it asks the question "why aren't US soccer fans acting like US fans of other sports?" The article seems to almost take offence to the idea that US soccer fans don't behave in the traditional style of US sports fans. Obviously I can't really comment here because I'm not American and you can decide how you want to act for yourselves I'm sure, but it does seem a little silly that someone gets upset simply because a group of people dare to take their cues from a foreign source. That said, I've seen enough examples of it before that I'm not terribly shocked by the idea.
this is why I stopped watching certain sports. Baseball is a great game but to Sit through 9 innings of popcorn munching ,hotdog sucking ,peanut crunching , bud light sipping ,mascot cheering ,kids tweeting where the hell am I going with this. Anyway it sucks. Nothing like a soccer game. I think this is what really got people to follow the game ,here in US. ITS THE FANS. I personally don't like America football but the fans are much more active than baseball. Hockey is good too. I've taken plenty of friends that hated soccer to games. Today they follow the sport religiously. So in conclusion I'm not sure what my point was.

That's a really poorly written article. At one point he's putting Americans down for borrowing terms like kit, match and pitch, and at the next he's saying we use outside back and pk and don't use English style nicknames. Sounds like a bitter guy clutching at straws to explain for his hate of American soccer fans.

Ermmm I don't quite know what to say about that article... I think you guys should take it easy on the author though as he obviously has issues. Give him the chance to seek expert help for his condition it is amazing what results a lobotomy can get nowadays.

That's a really poorly written article. At one point he's putting Americans down for borrowing terms like kit, match and pitch, and at the next he's saying we use outside back and pk and don't use English style nicknames. Sounds like a bitter guy clutching at straws to explain for his hate of American soccer fans.
We've been attacked by virtually every country for calling the game soccer. Now he supports it?

We've been attacked by virtually every country for calling the game soccer. Now he supports it?
I've always called cleats boots. I used to play Gaelic football up in woodlawn and anywhere else. I learn a lot from the irish besides " fcukin Guinnie". I learned the intensity that fans bring to a game. Same in italy. It's great.

I do think we should do things our own way, and MLS continue to do league things in a unique way.
on that note NYCFC could almost have been NYCSC. Either way fine with me. I intend to wear my Man City scar to a NYCFC game until I get a NYC version.

on that note NYCFC could almost have been NYCSC. Either way fine with me. I intend to wear my Man City scar to a NYCFC game until I get a NYC version.
I'm going to most likely go with the away jersey and a NYCFC cap.