Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
was I reading wrong ? The post article seemed to me to say we still needed council approval ? Are we 💯 confident we’ll pass all that ? Sounds like we’ve got the mayors approval but there are still hoops to jump through before celebrating ?

EDIT: I think I'm falling asleep on my keyboard or something, but this is the guy who will have the say on it in the Council: Zum Anzeigen anmelden oder registrieren

was I reading wrong ? The post article seemed to me to say we still needed council approval ? Are we 💯 confident we’ll pass all that ? Sounds like we’ve got the mayors approval but there are still hoops to jump through before celebrating ?
There's still the approval process to go through, but all the duckies seem to be in a row on this one. Not that someone won't kick up a stink about something along the way. But it won't matter. This from the Times article:

The stadium project and additional housing will have to go through the city’s onerous land review process, which is heavily reliant on the support of the local council member. In this case, that council member’s support is not in doubt.

“I’m a kid who grew up playing soccer in the fields right across from Willets Point,” said Francisco Moya, a councilman who has been pushing for a soccer stadium in Queens for years. “We hope to create the same kind of passion that we see throughout the world, where some kid right now who’s playing on Field 11 in Flushing Meadows Corona Park will one day be able to don the jersey of the team that plays right across the way from them.”

Reactions: Kjbert
͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌
NYCFC Header
Dear Founding Members,

Though it didn’t end exactly how we had hoped, the 2022 season was one that we should all look back on with immense pride. We played 47(!) matches this year, by far the most in our history, which is a testament to not just being in numerous competitions but making a deep run in each of them. We made it to the Concacaf Champions League Semifinal and the MLS Eastern Conference Final. We won the Campeones Cup , bringing even more silverware to New York City while overcoming plenty of adversity along the way. However, it’s not time to fully reflect on the year quite yet. First, I would like to provide a long-awaited and exciting update to you, our most loyal fans, about our search for a permanent home.

As you may have seen in The New York Times this evening, I’m delighted to share that we have formed a partnership alongside Mayor Eric Adams, Council Member Francisco Moya, labor unions and the Queens Development Group that will bring a new mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhood to Willets Point. This proposal will bring over $1 billion in investment to Queens, including New York City’s first-ever soccer-specific stadium – a new permanent HOME for NYCFC!

This project will be transformative, not just for the Club but also for the City of New York. Proposed plans include a 25,000-seat dedicated soccer stadium that will be privately funded as well as 2,500 units of 100% affordable housing that will bring much-needed housing for the hard-working people of Queens.

As Founding Members, you know well that we have been working for years to bring a project of this scale to a community within the five boroughs. You have also unwaveringly supported us since our inaugural season, and I cannot express my gratitude enough to every one of you. While it’s been a long wait for our stadium and, of course, your brick, we have finally found the perfect place for both – in easy-to-access Willets Point, Queens – and we are poised to make both a reality.

Our stadium project will be an important infrastructure project for our City’s economy. Just on its own, our new stadium, that will be privately financed, will create new jobs while generating new economic output for the community. And we are very proud that the stadium will be built with union labor along with M/WBE participation in its construction. The Club will also participate in the City’s HireNYC program to connect local Queens residents to the jobs we create through the stadium project.

It is important to note that these plans are not final or approved. Construction of the Willets Point project, including our stadium, will go through the City’s Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (known as ULURP). This is a vital process that highlights robust engagement with the local Queens community about this exciting project—which we hope will lead to opening our stadium in 2027. We will seek your input and support throughout the approval and design process. As a Founding Member, you are already included in our database to receive updates about the stadium process and how to get involved.

I want to underscore what a significant moment this is – and to sincerely thank Mayor Adams, Council Member Moya and many other key stakeholders for playing a large and critical part in helping to unlock this transformational and long overdue opportunity.

I also want to express my tremendous appreciation to you—our Founding Members – who have been incredibly patient throughout the ups and downs of our stadium search. I know you are all too familiar with the scheduling conflicts we have faced and how crucial a permanent home will be for the fans and the Club’s overall success. This news has been a long time coming and you have stuck by us, which is why we are ecstatic to share this exciting news with you today. We look forward to your input and involvement in turning this unique opportunity into reality. This will be YOUR stadium, and as Founding Members, you will receive first priority to select your seats.

We will share this announcement on our social media channels and via press release tomorrow morning. Additionally, tomorrow morning at 11:30am ET, Mayor Eric Adams and Council Member Francisco Moya are hosting a press conference at the Queens Museum to publicly announce the proposed plans. The event will be livestreamed on the New York City website, the Mayor’s Office YouTube channel and the Mayor’s Office Twitter.

We will keep you updated throughout this process and thank you again for your incredible support over the years.

Let’s Go!
Brad
MasterCard
linkedin
twitter
instagram
youtube
New York City Football Club
600 Third Ave
New York, NY 10016​
This email was sent by:
New York City Football Club,
600 Third Avenue,
New York, NY 10016 United States​
Forward | Manage Preferences or Unsubscribe | View in Browser
open.aspx
NYCFC - Logo

Seth Make it happen buddy! Bonus points if you can drop that rendering in there.
Obligatory RBA image over the area?

CAN WE CALL THE SUPPORTER SECTION "THE KOOPP" instead of "The Kopp"? So it's a coop but a Kopp coop. Omg. This is the best idea I've ever had .

Also I didn't ever think I'd be so happy to read 123 posts after schlepping so much furniture up 4 flights of stairs for two hours!

I LOVE YOU ALL ❤️

Obligatory RBA image over the area?

CAN WE CALL THE SUPPORTER SECTION "THE KOOPP" instead of "The Kopp"? So it's a coop but a Kopp coop. Omg. This is the best idea I've ever had .

Also I didn't ever think I'd be so happy to read 123 posts after schlepping so much furniture up 4 flights of stairs for two hours!

I LOVE YOU ALL ❤️

I've always imagined the supporters section being called the battery.

But I'm game with koopp..

Not surprised one bit. maybe this is the beginning of the end of yankee minority stake?
We can only hope. Also interesting MSG announced today they plan to have a stand alone app for Rangers & Knicks, no cable subscription required. Looks like local sports is moving away from cable and MLS is at the forefront. I’d honestly rather be part of Apple TV than on a standalone app that only shows a couple NY sports teams (Yanks/Nets)