The Average Mlb Team Is Now Worth $1.2 Billion Dollars

And keep in mind those valuations are simply from a traditional business valuation. As we have seen, rich people LOVE to own sports teams for various reasons and when a team comes up for sale, they will often go for MUCH more than the Forbes valuation. The LA Clippers just sold for like 4-5x the Forbes valuation, so that tells you what you can expect when the Yankees go up for sale. I honestly would not be surprised if they went for $10b if they went up for sale now. So many people would want a piece of the Yankees they would grossly overpay, which is probably the only way George's kids will sell.

I don't know anything about baseball but why are they so valuable? Am I wrong in thinking the attendances aren't great and have been dropping?

100 M for a New York club is going to look like such a bargain even within a decade.
Mike you seem like one of the better posters on this forum.
Why do you think 100m will be a bargain and why don't you think the whole thing could just flop ?

I don't know anything about baseball but why are they so valuable? Am I wrong in thinking the attendances aren't great and have been dropping?
3 letters: DVR

Too many people are DVRing or Netflixing things and not seeing the commercials in them.

What's the one thing people will still watch live and with commercials? Sports. So that's where all the advertisers want their commercials to be.

So now every major company wants a sports channel because that's where the advertising dollars are. You have 50 ESPN channels, a bunch of Fox Sports channels, NBCSN, CBS SN, BeIn Sports, Golf channel, NFL network, MLB Network, ect. Not to mention regional networks like YES, ROOT, ect.

Now what do all of these networks need? Content. Inventory. How many games do EACH MLB team play? 162. That's a ton of inventory to sell that still get good ratings every game. So MLB is making a fortune even if the popularity of the sport is waning.

Last edited:
3 letters: DVR

Too many people are DVRing or Netflixing things and not seeing the commercials in them.

What's the one thing people will still watch live and with commercials? Sports. So that's where all the advertisers want their commercials to be.

So now ever major company wants a sports channel because that's where the advertising dollars are. You have 50 ESPN channels, a bunch of Fox Sports channels, NBCSN, CBS SN, BeIn Sports, Golf channel, NFL network, MLB Network, ect. Not to mention regional networks like YES, ROOT, ect.

Now what do all of these networks need? Content. Inventory. How many games do EACH MLB team play? 162. That's a ton of inventory to sell that still get good ratings every game. So MLB is making a fortune even if the popularity of the sport is waning.
I know absolutely nothing about mlb so each team plays 162 times a season ? So roughly every other day then ?

MLB attendance hit its peak about 6-7 years ago (right when the recession kicked in) and since then it has trended slightly downward:
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/2/10/5390172/major-league-attendance-trends-1950-2013

It's still closer to its all-time highs than not, and with ticket prices increases, ticket revenue is probably very close to highs. TV ratings are weird. Local/regional ratings are outstanding while national ratings generally stink. Oddly however the trend is slightly opposite that of attendance, as the all time World Series low ratings were in 2008 and since then have gotten slightly higher, although not anywhere like a straight line. MLB also has done fantastic in increasing revenues from apparel and other licensing, not just in the US but worldwide, especially I believe in Asia. They pretty much set the standard for maximizing online streaming revenue. I suspect other sports have probably caught up and maybe surpassed them, but only by copying what MLB invented.

I know absolutely nothing about mlb so each team plays 162 times a season ? So roughly every other day then ?

The season is 6 months, and they play ever day, with a rest day on Monday or Thursday. They have a short break in July for the All Star game.

The season is 6 months, and they play ever day, with a rest day on Monday or Thursday. They have a short break in July for the All Star game.
Just wow I carnt get my head round that.
How the hell do you watch it live do you just go and live at the stadium for the week ? Do they play all their home games in a block and why an earth so many games ? Carnt they play each other team just home and away once like most football leagues.162 + games sounds insane

Usual pattern is Team A visits Team B for 3 games in 3 days, although 2 or 4 is possible). Teams usually string 3-4 such series in a row at home, then go on the road for road trips that also last 3-4 series.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Just wow I carnt get my head round that.
How the hell do you watch it live do you just go and live at the stadium for the week ? Do they play all their home games in a block and why an earth so many games ? Carnt they play each other team just home and away once like most football leagues.162 + games sounds insane
I'm pretty sure they've figured it out that 162 is simply as many games as a pro-baseball team can handle.

I think they'd be smart to reduce the games and add an FA style tournament with the nation's minor leagues and maybe some sort pf meaningful tournament with Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and/or South America.

Usual pattern is Team A visits Team B for 3 games in 3 days, although 2 or 4 is possible). Teams usually string 3-4 such series in a row at home, then go on the road for road trips that also last 3-4 series.
So as a fan would you pay to go and watch all 3 days against the same team? Or do you just get one ticket and go when you like in the 3 days?

So as a fan would you pay to go and watch all 3 days against the same team? Or do you just get one ticket and go when you like in the 3 days?
All of the above. Some folks actually buy 81-game season tickets. Others get packages, such as every Tuesday or Friday game. Also lots of tickets sold on a single game basis. Not likely to pick a single 3-game series unless there's some special reason like you're actually a fan of the visiting team, or it's late in the season between top divisional rival.

I'm pretty sure they've figured it out that 162 is simply as many games as a pro-baseball team can handle.

I think they'd be smart to reduce the games and add an FA style tournament with the nation's minor leagues and maybe some sort pf meaningful tournament with Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and/or South America.
That made me laugh 162 games is all they can handle lol.
Wouldn't the bowler be shot at after 3 days constant chucking?
Carnt get my head round the number of games.

All of the above. Some folks actually buy 81-game season tickets. Others get packages, such as every Tuesday or Friday game. Also lots of tickets sold on a single game basis. Not likely to pick a single 3-game series unless there's some special reason like you're actually a fan of the visiting team, or it's late in the season between top divisional rival.
Haha I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a bloke tells his Mrs he's bought a 81 match( days on the piss) ticket.

That made me laugh 162 games is all they can handle lol.
Wouldn't the bowler be shot at after 3 days constant chucking?
Carnt get my head round the number of games.
They have a huge stable of pitchers that rotate and rest.

Just imagine all the way up into the 90s, there were guys that would play both pro-football and pro-baseball. Sometimes for teams not even in the same city! The seasons overlap just slightly but its just insanity.

I don't think we'll see guys doing that anymore but there was a story out yesterday about a football player getting dropped from his team and going to play baseball.