The Civil Wars Officially Break Up

MikeDatTiger

Registered
Mar 21, 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
The musical duo the Civil Wars officially broke up today, with the now common terse statement by John Paul White and the "I really wish we were stilling doing this" statement by Joy Williams. This sucks, they actually made really good music and instead of adding some richness to popular music we get another Iggy Azalea track. Ugh. I've been hoping NYCFC signs someone like Messi to distract me from this news.

Reactions: einwindir
I've never heard these guys before. What was your favorite song, and what is a song that others may enjoy?

I was just going to reference you to a live album they had up free on Noisetrade, but apparently they took it down. Shoot, now I have to pick!

I'll pick "The One that Got Away" from their second album, although "Poison and Wine" is a pretty good one too. Really, they're one of the few bands that I can put on all their songs and not have to hit "skip."

Also, they have two songs on the "Hunger Games" soundtrack, on one of which they sing with Taylor Swift such that Swift is unrecognizable as her teenage girl pop self and has a haunting sound to her voice through the collaboration. It's incredible; I didn't realize it was Swift for the longest time.

I think I know which song you're referring to. It is a really good song, I didn't know they were involved with it. I'm not a fan of hers (Taylor Swift) by any stretch of the imagination but 'Back to December' and 'I Knew You Were Trouble' may or may not be guilty pleasures of mine.

edit:
safe and sound?

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeDatTiger
YouTube their Billie Jean cover. They were so flirty with each other but were in relationships to other people. I bet that had something to do with it...

YouTube their Billie Jean cover. They were so flirty with each other but were in relationships to other people. I bet that had something to do with it...

Yeah, the emphasis by John Paul on his family as the reason makes me think that Mrs. White put the foot down and said no more band or no more me. I just wish they would come out and say that instead of this vague "well tensions developed and eventually we broke off" non-explanation explanation.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Does John have a family or just a wife?

I kinda wish he'd go full on Johnny Cash and get with Joy.

They are both married. Joy has a kid, and John Paul has 4 kids. I don't think I can support the "dump the spouse and 5 total kids & hook up so I can have better music" thing lol.

Yeah, the emphasis by John Paul on his family as the reason makes me think that Mrs. White put the foot down and said no more band or no more me. I just wish they would come out and say that instead of this vague "well tensions developed and eventually we broke off" non-explanation explanation.

Surely if he'd come out publicly blaming his wife, it would've been "no more band AND no more me"?