The Current And Future State Of Mls....

Golazo

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
I've been trying to get into MLS for sometime now, maybe this is a situation for many of you as well. Way back in 94' my uncle took me to two world cup games and I slowly got hooked ever since. Growing up in Queens I don't believe I ever had the opportunity to play, I do have some (well-off) cousins from Long Island that grew up playing. So, I find it interesting how basically around the world, it's the kids that can't even afford a ball that grow up with the sport in the blood, while most of America hates it with a passion (although I'm happy that I believe it's some what changing). So my question to you guys/girls is, do you think that in the future the MLS will be on or any where close to the same level that Premier, La Liga, Serie A..ect are at? Do you think the signing of names like Villa, Kaka is a step in the right direction for the league or are the critics correct that we are a league of $$ for former stars to retire in. Anyone completely happy with MLS and wouldn't change a thing? Share your thoughts and comments....

If you have been a fan of MLS for more than 5 years you can see the difference. This league is going places. In 2002 we had to get rid of 2 teams and the league just about went under. Now there is probably 100s of billions of ownership dollars behind the league, they are building 200 million dollar stadiums and selling franchises for 100s of millions. Players like Henry are making more per year than almost the whole league did in 2002. Yes, this league is going places. If you aren't on board yet, get on now!

I can't wait for when "Eurosnobs" in cities that have MLS teams try to join the party when it becomes the cool thing to do.

Reactions: Kjbert
If you have been a fan of MLS for more than 5 years you can see the difference. This league is going places. In 2002 we had to get rid of 2 teams and the league just about went under. Now there is probably 100s of billions of ownership dollars behind the league, they are building 200 million dollar stadiums and selling franchises for 100s of millions. Players like Henry are making more per year than almost the whole league did in 2002. Yes, this league is going places. If you aren't on board yet, get on now!
Yep, I admit, I started watching when Beckham came over in 07.

I didn't even know who the hell Beckham was but it seemed to be a pretty big deal. The league seems to be growing by leaps and bounds every year. There was Beckham in 2007, then Henry in 2010 and then last summer everyone was blown away by Dempsey signing. And then that was quickly dwarfed by Bradley and Defoe and then Kaka, Lampard, and Villa were brought in.

I mean as you can see, the signings are accelerating big time. I have to believe that the Winter Transfer winter will see MLS go gangbusters, too, because Donovan, Henry, Cahill, Defoe, Dempsey, DiVaio are rumored or confirmed to be all leaving and NYCFC also has that 3rd DP slot. So MLS clubs are going to have a ton of money to splash.

I agree I think the January transfer window we will see a lot of money spent for sure.

Also don't forget the new CBA fight will be going on and the new deal will come into effect next season. Obviously they will have an increase in the salary cap which will improve the depth of the rosters and make the game even more enjoyable to watch. It will be very interesting to see what happens and I hope that the players union wins big and doesn't fold like the nhl players union did. It will be a soap opera all in its own to watch that unfold. No one wants a work stoppage but you also don't want the players giving in too much.

I'd expect a 4th DP rule to be in play with the new CBA as well. This is likely why NYCFC has held off on signing their 3rd DP, as the decision making process is significantly different if your choosing 2 rather than 1

Although that maybe true, I think the pause in player acquisition has more to do with waiting for all the drafts that will fill the core of the squad. After that I expect Kreis will know what positions he needs a DP at.

I agree for the most part with what everyone has said. Over the last few years I've been just watching MLS from the corner of my eye. Not having a local team, I've been to a few red bulls games just to go watch a game more or less. Very excited for NYCFC and a local (inside NYC) stadium that I can support 100%.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Although that maybe true, I think the pause in player acquisition has more to do with waiting for all the drafts that will fill the core of the squad. After that I expect Kreis will know what positions he needs a DP at.
I agree with both points but just wanted to add that not signing a 3rd DP forces the other teams to protect their DP's in the expansion draft thus leaving more players unprotected. By not signing a 3rd DP the talent pool in the expansion should be much greater.

I agree with both points but just wanted to add that not signing a 3rd DP forces the other teams to protect their DP's in the expansion draft thus leaving more players unprotected. By not signing a 3rd DP the talent pool in the expansion should be much greater.
Great point.

Worth pointing out that they'd have to do that anyway because Orlando has 2 DP spots open.