The Divisions Are Unnecessary

Bobbymanc

Registered
Jun 2, 2014
I've been away for a while, but after some reading I've gathered that the divisions are still there.

That's unfortunate, and disappointing.

I've noticed that there has been talk of agendas, and I found it interesting to observe that not being negative or critical of MCFC is considered an agenda by some here.

From an MCFC fan's perspective, I think it's worth remembering that even if we didn't want anything to do with NYCFC, it's being pushed upon us by our club channels and news sources as a genuine agenda.

We can't escape it. The powers that be want us to support NYCFC, or at least be enthusiastic about you.

And how can we, when so frequently we read such negativity aimed at us and our club from your supporters?

We've debated this particular point before, but it's worth reiterating; We all want you to have your own identity, but is isn't necessary to be disparaging of MCFC to achieve that. Keep a respectful distance, but please don't show blatant disrespect or allow it from your fellow fans.

Your new goalkeeper Josh Saunders is training with us in Scotland, he's getting among the best coaching and fitness training there is right now.

This is just one example of the things MCFC are doing in order to aid NYCFC in becoming a success. You all know the others, and there's more to come.

The links are there, there's no avoiding them.

So while all MCFC fans understand, and agree with, NYCFC fans wishing to distance themselves from us in order to avoid comparisons to the Chivas debacle, and create your own culture and identity, please don't allow a culture of antiMCFC rhetoric to develop. There's no need.

But I'll also add that MCFC fans in the US who are behind NYCFC should be respectful of the above also, respect that a lot of people wish to develop an individual culture unique to NYCFC. You shouldn't aggressively push all things Manchester City on New York City.

There has to be greater unity between you, and the divisions have to cease.

The insults and disrespect from both sides is unnecessary. The links between the clubs are there; don't overplay them and undermine NYCFC's status as a club in its own right, and don't disparage MCFC given how much the club is doing to help NYCFC become a success.

The onus is on you guys now to break the divisions, come to an understanding, and respect each other. That's the only way NYCFC will become a success. And that's what you all want.

Anyway, I digress.

I wish you guys well, and a successful start to life in the MLS.

Cheers.

There are no divisions. Honestly I just shake my head when I read this or anything else referring to divisions and such.
Go to some of the nycfc events and third rail events or even talk to some people here and you'll see everyone comes from different backgrounds with different European clubs as favorites and still get along. I'm a MCFC fan as well. However this is an NYCFC fan forum. Discussions about MCFC (not directly relating to interactions with NYCFC) should be kept to the Football Discussion forum just like every other team. If you can't get past this and you can't get past the fact that fans of this club might support rivals of MCFC then you really don't belong here and shouldn't be supporting this club.

The divisions don't exist. Please link to a thread where the majority or even a handful of people shit on MCFC. We do our best to police these forums according to our TOS and that means deleting posts that say F- City just as fast as ones that say F United.

You see one thread or post out of 15,000 that are on here between two or three people and jump to conclusions and post this thread which blows everything out of proportion. Don't feed the trolls. Let us do our job and eventually they'll be banned.

There are no divisions. Honestly I just shake my head when I read this or anything else referring to divisions and such.
Go to some of the nycfc events and third rail events or even talk to some people here and you'll see everyone comes from different backgrounds with different European clubs as favorites and still get along. I'm a MCFC fan as well. However this is an NYCFC fan forum. Discussions about MCFC (not directly relating to interactions with NYCFC) should be kept to the Football Discussion forum just like every other team. If you can't get past this and you can't get past the fact that fans of this club might support rivals of MCFC then you really don't belong here and shouldn't be supporting this club.

The divisions don't exist. Please link to a thread where the majority or even a handful of people shit on MCFC. We do our best to police these forums according to our TOS and that means deleting posts that say F- City just as fast as ones that say F United.

You see one thread or post out of 15,000 that are on here between two or three people and jump to conclusions and post this thread which blows everything out of proportion. Don't feed the trolls. Let us do our job and eventually they'll be banned.

What? What make you think I don't know most supporters of NYCFC have another club, what makes you think I'm against it, let alone care?

I've never expressed sentiment of the sort.

Did you actually read my comment? I don't see how you could respond to me in the fashion you just have after reading the above post.

If there are no divisions and I'm mistaken, then that's great.

I just want to say that there is a shrinking minority that ignites the fire between NY and Man Supporters. They know who they are and they are bound to be drawn to this thread like moths to a flame.

There really is no division vice 3 or 4 people. Odd thing is, I like most of those guys despite them thinking I'm 'out to get them'.

What CFG has brought to the table for NY2 is amazing. We won the lottery as far as ownership goes. To deny the impact that the City Group has and will have is borderline dillusional.

This is a touchy topic with some people and will probably evoke many emotions. Do not take the fringe element as status quo.

I just want to say that there is a shrinking minority that ignites the fire between NY and Man Supporters. They know who they are and they are bound to be drawn to this thread like moths to a flame.

There really is no division vice 3 or 4 people. Odd thing is, I like most of those guys despite them thinking I'm 'out to get them'.

What CFG has brought to the table for NY2 is amazing. We won the lottery as far as ownership goes. To deny the impact that the City Group has and will have is borderline dillusional.

This is a touchy topic with some people and will probably evoke many emotions. Do not take the fringe element as status quo.

Good to hear mate.

How's things looking for NYCFC in the US anyway?

Are you a New Yorker? If so, what's the mood like in respect of the city having a new football club?

Exciting times?

Good to hear mate.

How's things looking for NYCFC in the US anyway?

Are you a New Yorker? If so, what's the mood like in respect of the city having a new football club?

Exciting times?
I live in Queens and work in the City. We are not a soccer country by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said, NYCFC is getting it right. Since they started selling Season tickets there has been a non-stop advertising blitz. Billboards, Spectaculars, Posters. During the World Cup they held events for every game. People are getting more familiar with the team and logo.

It's hard to gauge interest because we are surrounded by fans when we goto events. So I'm biased when I say there is a definite buzz heading into the opener. I think we are going to see an exodus of fans from RB to NYC at the end of the 2014 season as well.

As far as outside NYC. We are the villains. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Bobbymanc
I live in Queens and work in the City. We are not a soccer country by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said, NYCFC is getting it right. Since they started selling Season tickets there has been a non-stop advertising blitz. Billboards, Spectaculars, Posters. During the World Cup they held events for every game. People are getting more familiar with the team and logo.

It's hard to gauge interest because we are surrounded by fans when we goto events. So I'm biased when I say there is a definite buzz heading into the opener. I think we are going to see an exodus of fans from RB to NYC at the end of the 2014 season as well.

As far as outside NYC. We are the villains. Plain and simple.

Interesting to hear it from a first hand perspective, thanks for that mate.

Do you think football will continue to grow in the US, or will it still be misunderstood and not taken as seriously as the likes of Baseball, the NFL and NBA?

During the BBC's coverage of the World Cup, they made a point of showing how much interest it was drawing in the US, due to the US national team's success.

But from what I've heard since their exit, most Americans quickly lost interest in the World Cup after their elimination by Belgium. Is this correct?

Do you think that'll ever change, i.e. will football ever be as appreciated as other sports in the US?

It's interesting you state that you're considered villains by neutrals outside of New York. I take it that's because they see you as a threat to the success of other teams, their teams? To be expected, exactly what we experienced in Manchester after our takeover. We used to be everybody's favourite second club, no-one had a bad word to say about us. 'Lickle City', endearing and calamitous in equal measure.

That all changed when we were taken over by ADUG, and these same people realised due to our takeover we posed a threat to their success, and their monopoly at the top of the league. The landscape had changed overnight, and they feared for the future. We were no longer 'lickle City', we were a highly ambitious club with eyes on the future.

First they laughed at us. They feared us.

Then they attacked us. Smearing the club, attacking everything we stood for. Even journalists in the British press set the agenda, painting us as the bad guys - due largely to many of them supporting clubs which were part of the old monopoly.

Then, as the famous quote goes: we won.

And here we are, 'lickle City', Premier League champions and one of the strongest club sides in Europe.

You guys have an exciting future, ignore the flak you'll take from opposition fans, ADUG don't mess around, you'll have your day. Believe me.

Reactions: MrE

Sorry,Einwindir, call me stupid but I still do not understand.
I understand the MLS is restricted to keep it fair. To allow all teams to be close etc etc.
Apart from maybe facilities, how does the money help the team if the MLS maintain a level playing field so to speak in strength of squad / money allowed to be spent.

Sorry,Einwindir, call me stupid but I still do not understand.
I understand the MLS is restricted to keep it fair. To allow all teams to be close etc etc.
Apart from maybe facilities, how does the money help the team if the MLS maintain a level playing field so to speak in strength of squad / money allowed to be spent.
Experience. Scouting. Brand recognition. Networking. To name a few.

We didn't acquire one if the best coaches in MLS because he was tired of being a part of Real Salt Lake - a team he was with for most of his career.

There's more to success than money.

Source: All the MCFC and Blue Moon fans.

Reactions: lawson

However this is an NYCFC fan forum. Discussions about MCFC (not directly relating to interactions with NYCFC) should be kept to the Football Discussion forum just like every other team. If you can't get past this and you can't get past the fact that fans of this club might support rivals of MCFC then you really don't belong here and shouldn't be supporting this club.

This should be posted on the banner head of this site right next to
dwBdQZ7.png

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Interesting to hear it from a first hand perspective, thanks for that mate.

Do you think football will continue to grow in the US, or will it still be misunderstood and not taken as seriously as the likes of Baseball, the NFL and NBA?

During the BBC's coverage of the World Cup, they made a point of showing how much interest it was drawing in the US, due to the US national team's success.

But from what I've heard since their exit, most Americans quickly lost interest in the World Cup after their elimination by Belgium. Is this correct?

Do you think that'll ever change, i.e. will football ever be as appreciated as other sports in the US?

It's interesting you state that you're considered villains by neutrals outside of New York. I take it that's because they see you as a threat to the success of other teams, their teams? To be expected, exactly what we experienced in Manchester after our takeover. We used to be everybody's favourite second club, no-one had a bad word to say about us. 'Lickle City', endearing and calamitous in equal measure.

That all changed when we were taken over by ADUG, and these same people realised due to our takeover we posed a threat to their success, and their monopoly at the top of the league. The landscape had changed overnight, and they feared for the future. We were no longer 'lickle City', we were a highly ambitious club with eyes on the future.

First they laughed at us. They feared us.

Then they attacked us. Smearing the club, attacking everything we stood for. Even journalists in the British press set the agenda, painting us as the bad guys - due largely to many of them supporting clubs which were part of the old monopoly.

Then, as the famous quote goes: we won.

And here we are, 'lickle City', Premier League champions and one of the strongest club sides in Europe.

You guys have an exciting future, ignore the flak you'll take from opposition fans, ADUG don't mess around, you'll have your day. Believe me.

I am so far from qualified to answer these questions. It's like I'm walking into battle with a slingshot and a pocket full of marbles, but I'll do my best.

I don't have hard facts to back anything up, maybe just anecdotal evidence at best -- mostly hunches at worst.

NFL. No. I believe Baseball is slowly dying. It may take another generation or two but it is not the same game my father grew up watching. I think we can see MLS become competitive with NHL and NBA within our lifetime. Depends on whether or not MLS is willing to budge on their ridiculous salary cap allowing a higher grade of player to enter the league. The reason NBA and NHL are so popular here is because they ARE the world's best league for their respective sport. MLS needs to, at the very least be competitive with some of the Euro leagues.

Yes...but that's a "yes" with an explanation. There has been a rise in interest post WC. A lot of the increase were people on the hype train. But the videos you saw of gatherings in bars and outdoor areas...those ARE the American soccer fans. Those are the people that are going to games and supporting American soccer. Instead of filling a stadium on Saturday or Sunday evening, they gathered in droves at local bars and other events.

The biggest problem is ignorance. It's not that people are 'against' soccer so much as they don't know enough about it. It's an intimidation factor. Similar to the reason I can't get into American Football. Too much shit happening on the field that I just don't understand so I actively try to avoid it. I learned how to appreciate soccer by (damn near) being forced by a friend (@jerzy) to watch the game. He'd patiently answer all my questions. There's still a lot more for me to learn but I've got a strong enough grasp of the game that I can now sit with my father and brother and explain the game to them. If everyone does that appreciation for the sport will spread. see: http://www.thefreebeermovement.com/ which is a fairly popular movement to help promote soccer in America.

It's interesting you state that you're considered villains by neutrals outside of New York. I take it that's because they see you as a threat to the success of other teams, their teams?
Yes, for all the reasons you described. We started off on the right foot. People see in us what they wish they could see in themselves.

Reactions: Gene
I am so far from qualified to answer these questions. It's like I'm walking into battle with a slingshot and a pocket full of marbles, but I'll do my best.

I don't have hard facts to back anything up, maybe just anecdotal evidence at best -- mostly hunches at worst.

NFL. No. I believe Baseball is slowly dying. It may take another generation or two but it is not the same game my father grew up watching. I think we can see MLS become competitive with NHL and NBA within our lifetime. Depends on whether or not MLS is willing to budge on their ridiculous salary cap allowing a higher grade of player to enter the league. The reason NBA and NHL are so popular here is because they ARE the world's best league for their respective sport. MLS needs to, at the very least be competitive with some of the Euro leagues.

There was a day that soccer was so ingrained in America that you would swear it would be there forever. I'm not saying you are wrong though, I just think using the argument "It's popular so it will always be popular" is a little short sighted.

MLS average attendance exceeds that of the NBA and NHL.

As for baseball with all of it's current problems, I believe it will be fixed, Such as the crackdown on PED's, the concept of a pitchers clock to move the game along, etc. Also, baseball is so deeply ingrained in America, it will always be here.

There was a day that soccer was so ingrained in America that you would swear it would be there forever. I'm not saying you are wrong though, I just think using the argument "It's popular so it will always be popular" is a little short sighted.
It's beyond popular, baseball is one thing that makes America, America. Such as soccer is one thing that makes Brazil, Brazil.

In my opinion, even with all the success the NASL enjoyed in the 70's and 80's soccer was never ingrained in America. It was even then, the fifth sport.

I am not an expert on American Soccer History. I am pretty sure that in the first World Cup in 1930, the world was surprised we fielded a team. Our players were not from an organized team and were thrown together. Assuming I am correct, this makes our success in the tournament that much more surprising when we reached the semi-final.

Little known fact, outside of Europe and South America the only team (to this day) to reach a World Cup semi-final are the United States. Feel free to research it.

I am not an expert on American Soccer History. I am pretty sure that in the first World Cup in 1930, the world was surprised we fielded a team. Our players were not from an organized team and were thrown together. Assuming I am correct, this makes our success in the tournament that much more surprising when we reached the semi-final.

Little known fact, outside of Europe and South America the only team (to this day) to reach a World Cup semi-final are the United States. Feel free to research it.
Just did a google-search of "most popular sport in the 1800's". All I'm getting is BASEBALL...not matter how many different ways I try to skew the results to fit my statement the results still don't change. So I'll concede my argument. However, I still believe (with no proof or reason) that Baseball is no longer America's Favorite Pass Time.

Just did a google-search of "most popular sport in the 1800's". All I'm getting is BASEBALL...not matter how many different ways I try to skew the results to fit my statement the results still don't change. So I'll concede my argument. However, I still believe (with no proof or reason) that Baseball is no longer America's Favorite Pass Time.
I think Football is currently the most popular sport in America. I appreciate your effort and frankness.

Reactions: einwindir