Thiago Martins [Defender]

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY

Anybody else see some Villa resemblance in Martins? It’s mostly just the beard and jaw line. When he’s standing still I don’t see it as much, but when he’s wearing the kit on the field I do a double take before I realize it’s the new guy.

Anybody else see some Villa resemblance in Martins? It’s mostly just the beard and jaw line. When he’s standing still I don’t see it as much, but when he’s wearing the kit on the field I do a double take before I realize it’s the new guy.
I’m not the only one! Sent this photo to my fiancée early today saying he looks so much like a young tatted Villa 2E856D58-EAE2-4325-B532-E9198067828A.jpeg

Yup, 100% agree. Was momentarily confused when I saw them tweet about him.

Reactions: mgarbowski
pirlo doppelganger signing imminent. And i guess a Lampard doppelganger too, but he will be loaned out for 80% of the season and be injured for another 15%

Reactions: gbservis
Not exactly how I thought a DP centerback signing would go...

Putting on my wildly speculative tinfoil hat. The move feels like a money/roster game by CFG. Yokohama paid $1.98M to get him from Palmeiras in Febuary 2020. We then paid $4M at the start of this season. How did his value double in 2 years of play in Japan? He's not super young at 27. I know nothing about the roster rules in Japan but this feels a lot like a move that helped some roster/financial situation at CFG/Yokohama as opposed to being a move that is the best use for one of our 3 DP spots. Hopefully, he clicks with Callens, and this post ages very poorly but so far I am not impressed.

Putting on my wildly speculative tinfoil hat. The move feels like a money/roster game by CFG. Yokohama paid $1.98M to get him from Palmeiras in Febuary 2020. We then paid $4M at the start of this season. How did his value double in 2 years of play in Japan? He's not super young at 27. I know nothing about the roster rules in Japan but this feels a lot like a move that helped some roster/financial situation at CFG/Yokohama as opposed to being a move that is the best use for one of our 3 DP spots. Hopefully, he clicks with Callens, and this post ages very poorly but so far I am not impressed.
We'll see how it plays out. If we buy him down to TAM player, then making him a DP was just a MLS roster move to save a half season of TAM. The fee does seem high. Maybe a bit of both.

He is also the 10th highest outgoing transfer in J1 League history. And if you exclude transfers to the Middle East and China (both notorious for having very inflated transfers) he is 3rd highest behind HULK, and a player to celtic who started most of their Europa league games.