Ticket Resale - Opinions Needed

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
As a forum for supporters it's only right that we address this issue. If we didn't care about your safety the section would of been made a long time ago.
However, we do and that's why its not here yet.

There are a number of ways we can go about this.
1. Make it a Craigslist type of deal. You may list your tickets but NO discussion of purchasing. All that is done privately and at your discretion.

2. Verification - some form of verification would have to be done.
Wether that's sellers sending me a screenshot of ticketmaster account with their season ticket plan. Highlighting seats they own and NAME or us sending the seller a letter with code and they send us code upon receipt.
So if you screw someone they have your address. We'd hold all that confidential unless there is a report of a scam.
Also we could wait until season ticket packages come in. Seller send us a picture of them with their forum name and package in hand [STOP IT]

1. If tickets are found resold on stubhub or other means for a premium after you've purchased you will be banned from the section.

Reactions: einwindir
Dan, if I were you, I wouldn't get involved in protecting the transactions. Let everything be done off the site, you don't want either liability or bad feelings directed your way if something goes wrong.

Agree 100%. Do not get involved in ticket reselling Dan. If two forum members privately meet to buy/sell tickets that is their own prerogative.

Caveat emptor

Reactions: CP_Scouse and Gene
you might just want to have a section for people selling and leave it at that... otherwise its gonna get messy.

What we're leaning towards is letting people discuss it. If a sale is made then it's in private.

I'd suggest maybe an exchange section under matchday. Have a thread for each home game. Post what you want or have.

But if any transactions are made in public, or personal info is posted it will be removed. Keep that stuff private.

Reactions: franchise646
So basically just a section or thread. If people want to contact each other leave it at that?

Well, just a quick google search but found quite a few things that would effect you Dan.

NY State:

"Requires resellers, or anyone that facilitates reselling, to guarantee that it will refund the amount paid by a purchaser if the event is cancelled, the purchaser is denied admission through no fault of his own, or the ticket does not conform to its advertised description"

NJ :

"Anyone engaged in the business of ticket resale or facilitating reselling must register as a ticket broker"\
"Registered ticket brokers must maintain a permanent office in-state, pay an annual registration fee of up to $500, and disclose their refund policy"
"Limits the amount that someone who is not a registered ticket broker or season ticket holder may charge above face value for a ticket to the greater of $3 or 20% of face value"

Theres a bunch of other state specific laws as well. Even if you are not actively selling tickets you are definitely facilitating that reselling by acting as a guarantor of the transaction.

If a forum members posts, private messages, whatever on your forum that's out of your control (ie youtube comments not holding google liable).

Reactions: einwindir
I've been on 2 other forums, "sneaker head" forums and I can't count the amount of "I've got scammed threads" I've encountered over the years. Let people list them or request but don't get involved in the transaction.

Well, just a quick google search but found quite a few things that would effect you Dan.

NY State:

"Requires resellers, or anyone that facilitates reselling, to guarantee that it will refund the amount paid by a purchaser if the event is cancelled, the purchaser is denied admission through no fault of his own, or the ticket does not conform to its advertised description"

NJ :

"Anyone engaged in the business of ticket resale or facilitating reselling must register as a ticket broker"\
"Registered ticket brokers must maintain a permanent office in-state, pay an annual registration fee of up to $500, and disclose their refund policy"
"Limits the amount that someone who is not a registered ticket broker or season ticket holder may charge above face value for a ticket to the greater of $3 or 20% of face value"

Theres a bunch of other state specific laws as well. Even if you are not actively selling tickets you are definitely facilitating that reselling by acting as a guarantor of the transaction.

If a forum members posts, private messages, whatever on your forum that's out of your control (ie youtube comments not holding google liable).

So with this we basically couldn't make a section for it or a thread for it?

Maybe making a sticky thread saying we can't fasciliate the reselling of tickets on this forum.
Any postings made are done so at your own discretion. Please conduct any business off site.

I think if people want to resell their tickets a good place to look for other forum members who cannot make the match would be the gameday thread for each game. I can imagine people who were unable to make the game would share their thoughts there. Personally if I read that a fellow forum member couldn't make the game I would reach out to them directly to share my thoughts.

I wouldn't even allow threads. The regulars can contact each other directly if they want. You don't want 20 threads with guys who never post advertising tickets. Leave it to stub hub

Reactions: BxLio91 and Gene
I really wanted a safe way for people to sell their tickets. but if there are legal things getting in the way it's best we stay out of it for our sake and obviously our members sake.
Might just let people post their stub hub listings if they're at face value+ Fees and people post 'looking for' in the match day threads.

Just my 2 cents worthless Dan, but it sounds to me like you're just setting yourself up for an unnecessary headache.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Just my 2 cents worthless Dan, but it sounds to me like you're just setting yourself up for an unnecessary headache.
Nah not setting myself up for anything. That's why I came to you, the members, for advice. Obviously best we don't go that route from the responses so far.

man o man that sentence needs a comma. i think your awesome dan unlike this gene fellow.

fycHx.jpg