Ticket Resale - Opinions Needed

I would recommend asking a lawyer to look into what kind of liability you might have depending on each option. The internet is a very tricky area of the law, and it's law that's trying desperately to catch up to new technology and ways of interaction. If you're not willing or able to get a lawyer to look into and give you a firm sense of what the dangers are, I would avoid it entirely.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I would recommend asking a lawyer to look into what kind of liability you might have depending on each option. The internet is a very tricky area of the law, and it's law that's trying desperately to catch up to new technology and ways of interaction. If you're not willing or able to get a lawyer to look into and give you a firm sense of what the dangers are, I would avoid it entirely.

thats just adding to the headache... might as well not even do it at that point

Got that right!

6355917652830006091237996206_better-call-saul.jpg

thats just adding to the headache... might as well not even do it at that point
It's a much bigger headache if someone is found legally responsible for something they did wrong. Better safe than sorry.

Allow people to sell but state that it should be a reasonable price and then let members have at it. I think anyone here that does business with someone who is not a regular is taking their own risk. Obviously many of us already have a reputation so it shouldn't be a problem for most people/transactions.

I don't think any tickets should be listed above face. Take that crap to Stubhub!

Create a tickets available/wanted thread and restrict it by number of posts or tenure on the site.

I think folks on the thread are over-reading the laws. I have seen threads such as these on many, many fan forums.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I think a tickets wanted thread might work. You could see who was looking for tickets and know if they are someone you'd start a conversation with. Keep it to face value, if you want to make money on your tickets "take it to stubhub" props to Fred

Reactions: einwindir
I actually disagree with the take it to stubhub idea. I think a tickets wanted/available is just a community component. No need to say anything publicly other than you have or want tickets to a particular match in a particular section or that sort of info. Leave price to be handled in PMs / email. Leave a price publicly, your post is deleted. Do it multiple times, you get banned.

The reason I disagree with the "take it to stubhub" sentiment is that it hurts the honest folks here (people should avoid deals with randoms and stick with known members). Stubhub is going to mean you pay 15% fees. If I want to cut someone a deal just to get my money back and have some company at a match, stubhub is a poor way to handle it. Let me say I have ticket and where and await private replies from interested folks. Just my opinion.

I'm not going to quit the forum over it. So you folks hoping for that outcome are SOL.

Reactions: Tiger Jones
I actually disagree with the take it to stubhub idea. I think a tickets wanted/available is just a community component. No need to say anything publicly other than you have or want tickets to a particular match in a particular section or that sort of info. Leave price to be handled in PMs / email. Leave a price publicly, your post is deleted. Do it multiple times, you get banned.

The reason I disagree with the "take it to stubhub" sentiment is that it hurts the honest folks here (people should avoid deals with randoms and stick with known members). Stubhub is going to mean you pay 15% fees. If I want to cut someone a deal just to get my money back and have some company at a match, stubhub is a poor way to handle it. Let me say I have ticket and where and await private replies from interested folks. Just my opinion.

I'm not going to quit the forum over it. So you folks hoping for that outcome are SOL.
"take it to stubhub" was referring to people who want to sell their tickets at a profit. The point is that we're a community of like-minded fans and we shouldn't profit off each other.

Reactions: Jeff
"take it to stubhub" was referring to people who want to sell their tickets at a profit. The point is that we're a community of like-minded fans and we shouldn't profit off each other.
I think it's fine if we profit and save others a couple bucks. Why is profit a bad word?

I think it's fine if we profit and save others a couple bucks. Why is profit a bad word?

I think having a for profit marketplace changes the vibe of the site, increases the likelihood of bad feelings between members and makes it harder to argue it's not some sort of commercial ticket venture. I've been a part of a few forums that started out allowing for profit sales and eventually stopped.

I have nothing against profit and have a pair for opening day listed on Stubhub.

Maybe allow season ticket holders to sell at the gameday price, but that's as much as I would recommend.

Same reason I hate playing poker with friends.

I think having a for profit marketplace changes the vibe of the site, increases the likelihood of bad feelings between members and makes it harder to argue it's not some sort of commercial ticket venture. I've been a part of a few forums that started out allowing for profit sales and eventually stopped.

I have nothing against profit and have a pair for opening day listed on Stubhub.

Maybe allow season ticket holders to sell at the gameday price, but that's as much as I would recommend.

Same reason I hate playing poker with friends.
Can't you just have a separate forum? If people want to participate, they can. Caveat emptor and all.

I'm not saying make it big feature. Just a little section for people who want to deal with their internet buddies.

Require like 100 likes before you can list anything or something. I am not saying facilitate it. I just don't see the need to bar people from offering tickets. If you don't want to participate, you can avoid it.

My preference is for open play within boundaries. I don't care much for heavy handed moderation on the web or elsewhere. Folks can make their own choices and live with the consequences.

Eta: I've been a part of many forums where people exchanged or sold tickets, sometimes they made a profit. More often it was a loss. The nature of our stadium and team means no one is going to make a killing reselling our tix. On other forums I've been a part of, it hasn't been an issue. It actually seems to facilitate camaraderie on the board and in real life. But then again, my friends and I dont mind playing poker with each other either. Btw, it's so weird that you make that analogy. Who doesn't like poker with the fellas?

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
Btw, it's so weird that you make that analogy. Who doesn't like poker with the fellas?

That was a mis-type. I meant blackjack. When someone is the house, there are always problems.

I only hate playing poker with my friends that call "picture cards wild" when they deal....

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Can't you just have a separate forum? If people want to participate, they can. Caveat emptor and all.

I'm not saying make it big feature. Just a little section for people who want to deal with their internet buddies.

Require like 100 likes before you can list anything or something. I am not saying facilitate it. I just don't see the need to bar people from offering tickets. If you don't want to participate, you can avoid it.

My preference is for open play within boundaries. I don't care much for heavy handed moderation on the web or elsewhere. Folks can make their own choices and live with the consequences.

Eta: I've been a part of many forums where people exchanged or sold tickets, sometimes they made a profit. More often it was a loss. The nature of our stadium and team means no one is going to make a killing reselling our tix. On other forums I've been a part of, it hasn't been an issue. It actually seems to facilitate camaraderie on the board and in real life. But then again, my friends and I dont mind playing poker with each other either. Btw, it's so weird that you make that analogy. Who doesn't like poker with the fellas?

Your handle's namesake is really starting to come alive here.

I sorta disagree with the people saying "only sell at face value"... As the value of each game is different. red bull games are more expensive on stubhub for example,face price of my tickets are 20$, when they're going for let's say $80 on stubhub... Personally I wouldn't charge the same as stubhub but I wouldn't want to sell for 20$ either.

I'm for having a forum, thread per game. Only posts accepted are "looking to buy/sell for x amount" and the rest is done on personal terms

Reactions: mgarbowski
Count me as another who would like to see sales allowed, informally. Make known what you have or want in forum, take the remainder of the business private. No limit on markups. I understand TR is discouraging markups for tickets in their sections, and that's fine. But this is a forum not a club. Personally I'd cut a break to anyone who I recognized as a regular here but that should definitely be at seller discretion.

Another forum I frequent has a section dedicated to the sale and trade of all merchandise, including tickets. However, tickets are not allowed to be sold above face value. The fans police themselves, so of course some sales do go through above face value, however if someone offers their ticket for sale above face the thread is locked/deleted and the user faces perma-ban in the case of repeat offenses. I don't know how the legality of it works, but they do have a "rules" sticky that says the users are on their own, for the most part.