Valentin Castellanos [Forward]

I don't watch a lot of La Liga -- did they play a first-choice team tonight?

not first choice team, but it's still real madrid. their b squad is still more quality and talent than girona's first team.

that being said, all the big boys were on the field except for benzema and curtois

Reactions: mgarbowski
not first choice team, but it's still real madrid. their b squad is still more quality and talent than girona's first team.

that being said, all the big boys were on the field except for benzema and curtois

I think you wildly undersold how close this is to Real's best lineup on the field. That's 3/4 of the backline (including both CBs) and 2/3 of the midfield that started this most recent champions league games. Aside from 2-3 players that is Reals top lineup.

Reactions: JayH
Small potatoes, but for no other reason than just to mention, Jack Harrison set up Leeds 1st goal with a picture perfect cross. Good day for the Alumni.

no. that wont matter in the stat books though. technically even backups of RM should not be letting 4 goals in.

Of course, of course. It's a breathtaking accomplishment, and one that probably puts him on the map and makes his summer a lot more interesting. He has 11 goals this season, which is T-8th in La Liga, and two away from being in the top 3 of the La Liga Golden Boot race. It's an incredible first season in that league, and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes for a high number to a good team in one of the big leagues.

Reactions: Revfugee
Seeing this from Taty reminds me of a back and forth I had on Twitter with one of these soccer snobs. He said that Sands’ return from Rangers showed that MLS was a third-rate league because our guys can’t cut it in Europe. I replied that I wasn’t sure Sands couldn’t cut it, but regardless - he’s just one guy and the overall performance of MLS alums in Europe is positive.

Wonder what he thought of today. Probably rationalizes it somehow.

Kind of disappointing that the club social media accounts are silent on this. Showing a little love and getting free publicity would be a great thing.

Especially ahead of a summer where they may be trying to entice a U-22 striker signing.

Seeing this from Taty reminds me of a back and forth I had on Twitter with one of these soccer snobs. He said that Sands’ return from Rangers showed that MLS was a third-rate league because our guys can’t cut it in Europe. I replied that I wasn’t sure Sands couldn’t cut it, but regardless - he’s just one guy and the overall performance of MLS alums in Europe is positive.

Wonder what he thought of today. Probably rationalizes it somehow.
The best parts about folks who make that argument is there are a ton of one-off examples that make the argument either way.

For example, Christian Ramirez couldn't quite cut it out in MLS and then tore it up in Scotland.

Reactions: Shwafta
What the x
Kind of disappointing that the club social media accounts are silent on this. Showing a little love and getting free publicity would be a great thing.

Especially ahead of a summer where they may be trying to entice a U-22 striker signing.
They are not very good at real time content. (It’s mostly a weakness but it does avoid some of the dopey tweets you get from some other club accounts that frequent tweet without proper vetting.)

do other teams do it for their alumni? i feel like if anything the league social media would do it.

MLS Spanish twitter noted it but not the English account. Seems like you'd want to feature it on both?

yes they should, if they want to promote the league.

on a side note-no lie, i feel like the spanish MLS twitter/instagram has more NYCFC coverage in previous years. i think they even go to games, at least i noticed more interviews with Maxi and efrain juarez when they were both here.

do other teams do it for their alumni? i feel like if anything the league social media would do it.
I'm honestly not sure but without checking, I feel fairly confident that the FC Dallas twitter handle does it for Pepi.

If NYCFC is on one end of the extreme as far as not pumping up alumni or current players for national team purposes, FC Dallas is at the other end of the extreme.

And again for this purpose, highlighting a young South American forward talent that came to NYCFC and is now dropping goals on Real Madrid would be a great thing to showcase when looking to bring in a young (likely South American) forward talent this summer.