Valentin Castellanos [Forward]

Taty missing a shot every now and then like this early on in 2021 is what had some fans pushing back on the notion that he was the best striker in MLS and for some, even thinking he should be benched.

Taty missing a shot every now and then like this early on in 2021 is what had some fans pushing back on the notion that he was the best striker in MLS and for some, even thinking he should be benched.
Yup. Every striker has a reel of these. Just a shame it came against Barca. And at 0-0 in the 59'.

Nobody is going to pay $15M for him

girona is pretty much guaranteed to buy him this summer. just don't know for how much. transfermarkt has his value at 10m right now. so maybe we can get 12M for him?

His xG production is way below what he did here. For non-PK xG at NYCFC he averaged 0.51 per 90, and 0.57 from 2020-22. He's at 0.29 at Girona. It's a better league, and relatively weaker team, but that's a big drop. He ranks third on the team in that category behind 2 guys with far fewer minutes. He does have the most total non-PK xG on the team, as well as most shots both total and per 90. Girona shoots less than NYCFC. His assists are down a lot too.

Without watching I can't really draw solid conclusions, but I'd be surprised if a team pays $15M for someone with these numbers.

Reactions: JayH and SoupInNYC
girona is pretty much guaranteed to buy him this summer. just don't know for how much. transfermarkt has his value at 10m right now. so maybe we can get 12M for him?

no way. if anything its gone down. 7-10M max.

no way. if anything its gone down. 7-10M max.

10m is his worth. girona clearly likes him. he's played/started nearly every game. i think we can at least get 10m, but maybe push for 12m depending on how badly they want to keep him.

his overall numbers aren't great, but if they were as good as his numbers here in NY, girona wouldn't be a mid-lower table squad.

we'll find out in the summer, i guess. if not.. i guess we have our #9 that we've been wanting. lol

10m is his worth. girona clearly likes him. he's played/started nearly every game. i think we can at least get 10m, but maybe push for 12m depending on how badly they want to keep him.

his overall numbers aren't great, but if they were as good as his numbers here in NY, girona wouldn't be a mid-lower table squad.

we'll find out in the summer, i guess. if not.. i guess we have our #9 that we've been wanting. lol
WRT Girona, they're currently 11th in a 20 team league, and just got promoted. My understanding is they were expected to struggle to avoid relegation, so I think they've done well so far.

I'll be surprised if Taty returns but it would be funny and consistent with this year. I remember that both he and Sands were eligible to go to Europe in 2022 under the point system because NYCFC won the league in 2021, and that those points expire. It's one reason we had to move them last year, even under less than ideal terms for the club. But having gone, and returned, are he and Sands automatically eligible to go back?

WRT Girona, they're currently 11th in a 20 team league, and just got promoted. My understanding is they were expected to struggle to avoid relegation, so I think they've done well so far.

I'll be surprised if Taty returns but it would be funny and consistent with this year. I remember that both he and Sands were eligible to go to Europe in 2022 under the point system because NYCFC won the league in 2021, and that those points expire. It's one reason we had to move them last year, even under less than ideal terms for the club. But having gone, and returned, are he and Sands automatically eligible to go back?

yea girona were expected to struggle so being mid-table is a success for the season and with yesterday's result, they are mathematically safe i think?

based on what i've seen of girona playing and what i've been able to glean from translated articles, girona seems to think taty has been an integral part of this season's success. despite not putting up the best numbers or anything like here in MLS, he consistently starts and plays most of the games.

I would be surprised if taty returns. I don't know how much we will get for him, but i think unless it's an extremely low ball offer (unlikely given they are also cfg), he's going to be permanently transferred.

i have no idea on the other stuff.. but yea, if taty were to return to the club it would pretty much sum up this year. would be even crazier if that happens and we suddenly start steamrolling everyone and win MLS cup. ah yes.. that would be nice. but i do hope for taty to stay in europe and continue advancing his career.

Reactions: mgarbowski

imo no. He is not killing it. When he came out of MLS sure. he was champion and was still scoring in good numbers. his Girona numbers and performance > his MLS time. its just reality of it. i dont know how his performances have been but his numbers are not supporting it. Also keep in mind he is a year older. that lowers the price tag.

him coming back may destroy that confidence so its also not a gurantee imo. hope there are offers and take what you can get.

Reactions: mgarbowski
imo no. He is not killing it. When he came out of MLS sure. he was champion and was still scoring in good numbers. his Girona numbers and performance > his MLS time. its just reality of it. i dont know how his performances have been but his numbers are not supporting it. Also keep in mind he is a year older. that lowers the price tag.

him coming back may destroy that confidence so its also not a gurantee imo. hope there are offers and take what you can get.

thing is, if the team/manager thought he was not performing well, he would be sitting on the bench and stuani or someone else would be leading the line.

i'm not saying he's going for top dollar... but i'm confident girona will put in a bid for a perm transfer in the summer. whether nycfc accepts it or not... that's up for debate.

thing is, if the team/manager thought he was not performing well, he would be sitting on the bench and stuani or someone else would be leading the line.

i'm not saying he's going for top dollar... but i'm confident girona will put in a bid for a perm transfer in the summer. whether nycfc accepts it or not... that's up for debate.

i think they will bid but i dont think they go 10M or near that. i dont know their purchasing history but recently promoted teams in spain are usually bidding like 5-8M for a player. Max.

as for performance it could be that there just isint another option (striker less like nycfc) and stuani is 36 or so, he is not a 90 min starter at that age and at that level.

we will see. Hope for a sale for some extra GAM

It’s not always about scoring goals in the top flight. For a team predicted to be in a relegation scrap are probably thrilled with his work rate and pressing abilities. That may not fetch the $$$ we want, but it’s a reason for a relatively small European club to love, start and keep Taty.

from what I’ve seen, Taty does work his tuchus off and worth something to Girona.
How sweet would it have been to put that goal away against Barcelona. Alas… it did bring back memories of some missed chances in a blue jersey. Hope next match he gets back on the score sheet.

I haven’t seen him do his hands over his face goal celebration in a while. Kinda enlightening to see the shushing and the talking celebration. Feels very pointed at what I assume are fans upset he’s starting over Stuani or just don’t think he’s good enough.

from what I’ve seen, Taty does work his tuchus off and worth something to Girona.
How sweet would it have been to put that goal away against Barcelona. Alas… it did bring back memories of some missed chances in a blue jersey. Hope next match he gets back on the score sheet.
I think they like him for this reason. The seem to get most of their goals from the wings and my impression is that he opens up space for them. He sure as heck doesn’t get a lot of good service. He got a bit lucky on the goal (keeper botched it) but he’s also been unlucky at times.

He certainly stacks up fine against other mid table 9s in the league like Camello and RDT at Rayo.