What I Gathered From The Game Fan Wise

Young white people out for a good time - the nerve!

Wasn't meant as a criticism. It is a bar that I've been to several times before Yankees games and the crowd was obviously different yesterday. Was my first soccer game ever and what the demographics would be like was something I was curious about. The stadium goers as a whole seemed a lot more eclectic, but definitely on the younger side which makes for a great atmosphere.

You'll notice that usual suspects who have blasted NYCFC are silent today. The fans and atmosphere were great. the field held well. Other than it being in a baseball stadium (which Twellman bitched about for a solid 15 minutes to start the match...don't think he shut up about it until Villa scored), it was everything MLS could dream of. A great start for the club, and kudos to the fans for creating that atmosphere.

I was up in 328 cause I waited awhile with eye on the weather don't think I could have handled it if it were 1o to 20 degrees colder. I'm mid 30's and white I was sitting next to Hispanic couple late teens or early twenties and they were very pleasant seat mates. We're all NYCFC it's nice how a sporting event can bring people together.

You'll notice that usual suspects who have blasted NYCFC are silent today. The fans and atmosphere were great. the field held well. Other than it being in a baseball stadium (which Twellman bitched about for a solid 15 minutes to start the match...don't think he shut up about it until Villa scored), it was everything MLS could dream of. A great start for the club, and kudos to the fans for creating that atmosphere.
It's great over on /r/mls. SO many people eating crow this morning and giving credit to a great turnout. TONS of mad Red Bull fans too. It's glorious.

It's great over on /r/mls. SO many people eating crow this morning and giving credit to a great turnout. TONS of mad Red Bull fans too. It's glorious.
LOVE THAT THE MOST ESPECIALLY /U/MG_HEINZ'S COMMENT "IT SHOULDVE BEEN US lmao

Reactions: einwindir
LOVE THAT THE MOST ESPECIALLY /U/MG_HEINZ'S COMMENT "IT SHOULDVE BEEN US lmao
Yeah. Pretty rich. The RB fans posting about how their inaugural match had more people were pretty funny too. Anything to try and bring us down, I suppose.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
In Yankee Tavern before the game, saw a very young, mostly white crowd. A friend said they felt like they were back in college. Not necessarily a bad thing, a lot of enthusiasm, but kind of a fratty vibe.
Mission accomplished, although we had a Honduran, Colombian, Peruvian, and Dominican in our ranks as well.

Also, gotta say - don't think I'll be pre-gaming in Billy's much this season. Multi-level bro warehouses playing EDM remixes of Hotel California are not really my vibe.

Ha, that was surreal! I heard the EDM Hotel California too and started laughing once I recognized the lyrics.

I've been to Billy's plenty of times before Yankees games (to see the Rays play, screw the Yankees, lol), and that's pretty much what it's always like... except that it was particularly crowded Sunday vs. a normal gameday and the music seemed louder (usually the music is playing, but they also have the Yankees pre-game on the TVs and the accompanying audio is audible).

I don't know if I was expecting something different for the soccer gameday experience there, like chants and songs instead of the loud club music or maybe even just slightly different music or what, but it was what it was. It was Billy's... an entertaining, people watching, EDM, bro lounge to kill some time ahead of going into the stadium, lol. I imagine it will be less crowded for future games, but I don't expect Billy's to ever change... (even though it's not my normal scene at all, I don't know if I'd want it too...)

That being said, I did think to myself I wonder if a different bar will be chosen for the Third Rail to do songs and chants as they prepare to march to the stadium in the future. I think at one point I heard some people try to start a chant or song at Billy's, but they were drowned out by the techno and then I think they might have turned the techno up, lol

They really need to play New York, New York at the end of matches. We stayed at our seats waiting for it, and it never came.

It's such a part of Yankee Stadium for me, and it's perfect background music for the players to leave the pitch to.
Playing "New York New York" is a Yankee tradition. NYCFC needs to start it's own tradition.

Reactions: Mario and AndreT_NY
Playing "New York New York" is a Yankee tradition. NYCFC needs to start it's own tradition.
It's a stadium tradition. They've played it at the end of every game/match/concert I've been to there.

There's no harm in leaning on traditions, especially those that are well-received and appropriate. We're NYC, we play in Yankee Stadium, I'm cool with borrowing the song and incorporating it as part of our (to-be-built) traditions.

They really need to play New York, New York at the end of matches. We stayed at our seats waiting for it, and it never came.

It's such a part of Yankee Stadium for me, and it's perfect background music for the players to leave the pitch to.

My understanding is this is the song they played -
- Native New Yorker, an old disco song.

New York, New York is a Yankees thing, and I think they're trying to create new traditions for NYCFC. I don't know if this song was a one shot deal, or if they plan on playing it after every match... I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it becomes associated in our minds with NYCFC or what (if they choose to keep playing it).

They didn't appear to play it as loud as they do New York, New York after a Yankees game though. When they play Frank after a baseball game, you can clearly hear it in the stands and it sort of reminds me of when they play someone off at the Oscars. You hear it and you know they're about to start "politely" easing your ass out of the stadium, lol. I only really recall hearing this song after the match Sunday on the speakers in the bathroom... rather than loudly throughout the stadium like you do at the end of a Yankees game.

The atmosphere will only improve and improve, I just wonder how many people we will average this season my guess is 28K regardless hopefully with tons of passion as we saw yesterday hopefully it can carry on no reason it should not.

My understanding is this is the song they played -
- Native New Yorker, an old disco song.

New York, New York is a Yankees thing, and I think they're trying to create new traditions for NYCFC. I don't know if this song was a one shot deal, or if they plan on playing it after every match... I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it becomes associated in our minds with NYCFC or what (if they choose to keep playing it).

They didn't appear to play it as loud as they do New York, New York after a Yankees game though. When they play Frank after a baseball game, you can clearly hear it in the stands and it sort of reminds me of when they play someone off at the Oscars. You hear it and you know they're about to start "politely" easing your ass out of the stadium, lol. I only really recall hearing this song after the match Sunday on the speakers in the bathroom... rather than loudly throughout the stadium like you do at the end of a Yankees game.
It's a stadium tradition. They've played it at the end of every game/match/concert I've been to there.

There's no harm in leaning on traditions, especially those that are well-received and appropriate. We're NYC, we play in Yankee Stadium, I'm cool with borrowing the song and incorporating it as part of our (to-be-built) traditions.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
There was one really great aspect about last night that I didn't really realize until today. It's that the stadium had energy all the way around. We didn't need an SG to get the sound levels to rise and that's awesome. If you take the SGs out of 90% of MLS stadiums, you're going to be sitting in silence. Not the case for YS last night. I hope that trend continues.

Yeah but New York, New York is pretty much NY's unofficial anthem. You can play it for whatever.

Also, considering the club is partly born from the Yankees, I think we should take something of theirs for ourselves. A nod to the history of the team...