Yankee Stadium 2021 Thread

The dominant practice in my neighborhood for months has been not to wear masks full time outdoors. Realistically, I can take a 45-60 minute walk and unless I go to the main commercial strip I will only cross paths with someone maybe 8-12 times, so that makes a fair bit of sense. I might need a mask for 3 minutes out of the total walk, and my practice has been to wear it pulled down. I know a lot of people mock the chin masks, but I would pull it up while still a good 20 feet away any time someone did approach. Now that I'm vaxxed, I've only been pulling it up if the person approaching is masked or at least has one on their chin. I will probably continue doing so as a courtesy even though the guidance changed, though that won't continue forever. Of course I pull it up when entering anywhere indoors.

Yep, I've been doing something similar on my walks. Put it on when around others, take it off when all alone with no one around me. Most people around me are similar -- most are courteous enough to put their mask on when walking past. Kind of seems like a common courtesy thing at this point.

new CDC mask guidance. doesn't look like things will change for attending live games just yet...

edit - didn't realize the image had transparency... PDF link here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/pdfs/324153_choosingSaferActivities11.pdf
I wouldn't say that attending the last game at Yankee Stadium was "a crowded outdoor event". Maybe when the attendance limits go up later next month.

That said, the CDC is still being very conservative. The good Mrs. Dr. G described them using a term synonymous with "cat".

• It took me 20-25 minutes longer than normal to get from Queens to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx because a lane was closed on the GWB between Manhattan and New Jersey. I hate NYC traffic.
  • Vaccine/test check was as smooth as the customers allowed it to be. Way too many people stand in line for 5-10 minutes, then start reaching into their pockets bags, etc only when they get to the head of the line, despite constant announcements to please be ready.
  • Saw 2 parties bail out after waiting on line because they had neither proof of vax nor tests, and also apparently neither read the signage nor listened to the announcements. Unlikely it was a language issue as they spoke with the staff easily enough. This was out of maybe 8-10 groups, which is a high failure rate, though a small sample.
  • A person on line behind me for the vax/test check said the on-site instant virus test service took 30 minutes from getting on line to being done, most of which was waiting on the line. If the vaccine/test proof requirement remains after capacity increases, that will just get worse, unless more people get the shots. But we're also still in the somewhat early days of the vax being fully open to anyone who wants it, especially accounting for the time for full effect, so maybe that does improve.
  • Have to laugh that they do a wrist temp check right after the vax/test check.
    • you literally just proved you've been vaxxed or tested
    • accuracy of wrist temp is sketchy
    • correlation between temp and being positive is certainly less reliable that being vaxxed or tested, which we just established
    • Covid theatre to be sure, but at least it doesn't take more than a few seconds.
  • If there were CLEAR lanes available, neither my friend nor I could find them at 2 different gates.
  • No hot dogs? Not sure if that was true all over or just the 3-4 locations I checked. If so, is that a sanitary/health/Covid issue or reduced capacity issue, because neither makes sense to me.
  • Gotham Gator Gotham Gator I was able to buy a Goose Island IPA, which might not be the best IPA, and was in a can (probably a Covid theatre choice), and not an independent, but it is an IPA.
  • It still looks far less full than 20% full in each section to me.
  • Do drums spread Covid? Why are there no drums in the supporters section? More Covid theatre? Or maybe the drummer people just weren't there. But that seems unlikely.
  • It was great to be back despite a draw that felt like a loss. Looking forward to the next game, in [checks calendar] late July.

Last edited:
  • Gotham Gator Gotham Gator I was able to buy a Goose Island IPA, which might not be the best IPA, and was in a can (probably a Covid theatre choice), and not an independent, but it is an IPA.
  • It still looks far less full than 20% full in each section to me.
  • Do drums spread Covid? Why are there no drums in the supporters section? More Covid theatre? Or maybe the drummer people just weren't there. But that seems unlikely.
  • It was great to be back despite a draw that felt like a loss. Looking forward to the next game, in [checks calendar] late July.
Thanks for the shout out. After I got my first half gin and tonic, a guy sat down next to me with a Goose Island. I found it nearby at halftime. Not all stations had it, but at least it was an option this time.

Drums has to have something to do with not wanting us to sing. Singing is orders of magnitude worse for spreading Covid than speaking. But then again, so is shouting, and we were all doing plenty of that.

Drums has to have something to do with not wanting us to sing. Singing is orders of magnitude worse for spreading Covid than speaking. But then again, so is shouting, and we were all doing plenty of that.
And the supporters were singing anyway, though I can nevertheless understand the drum prohibition on that basis.

Reactions: Schwallacus
It’s not just the drums, no tifo or flags either. I would have thought either Third Rail or Los Templados (the drummers) would have said more about it but the only public statement I have seen so far is this one
Anyone know how long drums and such are going to be banned?

I'm over in 234, and we couldn't hear the supporter's section at all on Saturday. In fact, I feel like 234 is now the new supporter's section. Lots more organized (and disorganized) cheering in that section. Plus, we have Choi.

Anyone know how long drums and such are going to be banned?

I'm over in 234, and we couldn't hear the supporter's section at all on Saturday. In fact, I feel like 234 is now the new supporter's section. Lots more organized (and disorganized) cheering in that section. Plus, we have Choi.

I assume they used it as a covid precaution as other's have said. With the new mask & distancing guidelines all changing this week and the fact our next actual home game isn't for another 2+ months I'm betting they'll be back for that game.

I personally want to thank Brian Cashman for putting together a Yankees team that is doing everything it can to make sure we'll have open use of Yankee Stadium this post-season.

Thanks, Bri!