2016 Yellow Card Accumulation (updated October 12)

Does the yellow card tally carry straight into the playoffs, or is a new system used? If the former, I could imagine some strategically taken cards towards the end of the season depending on the import of the games.

Does the yellow card tally carry straight into the playoffs, or is a new system used? If the former, I could imagine some strategically taken cards towards the end of the season depending on the import of the games.

That's a very good question. I doubt it, but I will try and figure it out.

There is a different process in place for the playoffs, and Yellow Cards reset at season's end. So, if you get your 5th Yellow Card in the last game, there is basically no effect.

In the playoffs, a player is suspended once he receives his second Yellow Card, with the exception that nobody is suspended in the MLS Cup Championship Game.

Revised for a couple of mistakes. DC is missing Jared Jeffrey for this game and NE loses both Koffie and Caldwell with another Yellow Card this weekend.

Also, the Yellow Card reduction doesn't just occur once a player has 4 (or 7) yellows, but at any time. I have gone back and revised the number of Yellow Cards assigned to each player based on this. Interestingly, Villa twice went 4 games without a yellow, but then got one, so he never had his total reduced and ended up suspended a few games back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
In the playoffs, a player is suspended once he receives his second Yellow Card, with the exception that nobody is suspended in the MLS Cup Championship Game.
Clarification: Red cards in the second leg of Conference Championship games do result in suspension for MLS Cup (IIRC).

Reactions: Kjbert
Updated for last two games.

R.J. Allen is now one Yellow Card away from a suspension unless he can keep clean the next 3 games. Note that the Yellow Cards do not carry into the playoffs, and if he gets a Yellow Card in the last regular season game, that does not suspend him for the first playoff game.

Updated for the Houston game. Only RJ Allen can be suspended for us at this point.

Anyone else notice RJ has been playing really dirty lately? He's been grabbing a lot of jerseys / questionable challenges, and then always has that shit-eating grin on his face when the ref calls him out. Not sure what's gotten into him lately.

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone else notice RJ has been playing really dirty lately? He's been grabbing a lot of jerseys / questionable challenges, and then always has that shit-eating grin on his face when the ref calls him out. Not sure what's gotten into him lately.

lol sounds like old RJ....i remember his first game ( or at least first game i remember seeing him, he was literally signed that week and played that sunday) against the sounders dude shoved and pushed every time a sounder player passed by him lol i remember since i was with a friend who got those lower 100 level seats and i told him this dude is so getting a red.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Kjbert
Yes, it's impossible to miss. RJ has looked tired and really labors to get back on D after bombing forward into the attack, and I've been wondering if he's grabbing more to compensate for the tired legs??? If he can't keep up, the Hernandez-style of defending kicks in and the arms go into action. And since he's situated on sideline mostly, I'm fine with it as long as he isn't ejected and/or a PK doesn't result... if he really starts to emulate Hernandez by grabbing in the box, we're in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: ktdNYCFC
We got 5 yellows last week. How does the accumulation work in the play-offs?

If Maxime keeps giving Jozy little birthday bumps today and gets another yellow will he sit out the next game? (Ditto Frank, Jacky, Mad Mikey, Fede)

We got 5 yellows last week. How does the accumulation work in the play-offs?

If Maxime keeps giving Jozy little birthday bumps today and gets another yellow will he sit out the next game? (Ditto Frank, Jacky, Mad Mikey, Fede)
Yes. 2 yellows = suspension. No carryover to MLS Cup. Only red in second leg of Conf Finals = suspension for MLS Cup.