2017 Roster Discussion

I think alot of you are gettimg hung up on labels. If we sign Ofori, if signing him to a Young DP deal makes the most sense capwise, you go ahead and do it. If we want to sign a new DP in the summer, you always have the option of using TAM to buy down Ofori or get creative like what LA did with DeJong and backload the contract.

While I agree Villafana is a good player, we already have Matarrita at LB. Speaking of wasting resources, it would be silly to spend a bunch of money on bringing in a second leftback in the exact same mold as the one we already have.
You wouldn't flip Matarrita for Villafana and max allocation sale money? We would snap someone's hand off for that, I bet. I know I would.

Don't forget. Villafana actually defends a bit.

eta:
You mean like Honda? ;)
surrrrreeee...

You wouldn't flip Matarrita for Villafana and max allocation sale money? We would snap someone's hand off for that, I bet. I know I would.

Don't forget. Villafana actually defends a bit.

Meh, I think Mata is great. And transfer windows around the world are closing. I don't think we'll be sending anyone out until summer other than Mix.

I think alot of you are gettimg hung up on labels. If we sign Ofori, if signing him to a Young DP deal makes the most sense capwise, you go ahead and do it. If we want to sign a new DP in the summer, you always have the option of using TAM to buy down Ofori or get creative like what LA did with DeJong and backload the contract.

Actually, if we did that we should front load the contract. We're charged the same amount vs the cap when he's considered a DP in year 1 no matter what we pay him. Then in the last few years he plays for cheap after he already earned his money and again doesn't count much vs the cap or require T/GAM as a non-DP.

While I agree Villafana is a good player, we already have Matarrita at LB. Speaking of wasting resources, it would be silly to spend a bunch of money on bringing in a second leftback in the exact same mold as the one we already have.
We're probably just discussing over a glitch, but it wouldn't be the worst move. With the impending departure of Matarrita next offseason, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have villafana training with us and grooming him for a starting role next season. Also, quality depth and competition never hurts.

Meh, I think Mata is great. And transfer windows around the world are closing. I don't think we'll be sending anyone out until summer other than Mix.
Don't be a bad law student and fight the hypothetical. Come on, give me a call on whether or not you'd do it!

As mentioned, Mata might be leaving - and even if he doesn't leave now, he might in the summer or at the end of the year, while Villafana might just be a long term solution at the position. Sign him, play him at RB for a while if you have to.

Ofori as a Young DP makes SO MUCH sense.

Let's say we spend $500k acquiring him during this winter and pay him $400k a year. We bring all if that transfer fee and salary into this year and his cap charge is minimal.

Next year, he is no longer a DP and we go out t and acquire two DPs (one for Pirlo and one to replace Ofori's DP charge)

Seems brilliant to me on a rolling basis, as long as you can keep their salary numbers manageable after the first year

As mentioned, Mata might be leaving - and even if he doesn't leave now, he might in the summer or at the end of the year, while Villafana might just be a long term solution at the position. Sign him, play him at RB for a while if you have to.
Another valid point.

Also, before I knew this was happening, he approved me as a follower on his personal instagram the day he got his call-up for the Jan camp.

VILLAFANA CONFIRMED!

I really like the idea of having one of our 3 DPs be a young DP (i.e. 23 or younger). You get a guy who is obviously very talented and has the athleticism to cover a lot of ground. He is less likely to be injured. You also get a guy who should improve and be able to generate a lot of cash on a transfer. And then, there is the salary cap benefit, with such a player only counting $200K against the cap (or $150K if 20 or younger).

That said, it is very hard to find someone who can make the kind of impact that a veteran can. Someone like that may hesitate to come to MLS, seeing it as bad for his development. There is also the concern that a really talented 21-year-old may never pan out to be as good as expected, so by 24, you haven't gotten the performance you'd hoped for nor the ability to sell on for a good price.

DPs on NYCFC with our financial backing should be used to acquire players that will impact the team as much as Villa has. Not to dick around with the salary cap. If we spend the whole year with 2 real DPs, its a major fail by the FO, which has had a few of those.

DPs on NYCFC with our financial backing should be used to acquire players that will impact the team as much as Villa has. Not to dick around with the salary cap. If we spend the whole year with 2 real DPs, its a major fail by the FO, which has had a few of those.

What if Ofori makes the impact of a "normal" DP like a Piatti?

And then, every year, you have a team with 2 star DPs (Villa, Pirlo), 1 Young DP (Ofori type player) and a player coming off of a DP charge (Ofori)?

You are also the guy that was most vehemently anti-Lampard and now anti-Honda. What would make you happy?

Back