2018 MLS Offseason Thread

Zimm gets Dallas $500k combined plus top allocation spot.

Who might Dallas target with that allocation spot?
Here's the list. Some interesting names.

Dallas might just want to hold onto it as trade bait in case someone else wants to sign one of these guys.

Anangono, Juan
Cameron, Geoff
Castillo, Fabian
Flores, Junior
Gonzalez, Giancarlo
Gonzalez, Omar
Green, Julian
Henry, Doneil
Johannsson, Aron
Johnson, Fabian
Martins, Obafemi
Miazga, Matt
Najar, Andy
Poku, Kwadwo
Pulisic, Christian
Ream, Tim
Rivero, Octavio
Rochat, Alain
Rosell, Oriol
Rubin, Rubio
Sanchez, Richard
Valencia, Jose
Villafana, Jorge
Yedlin, DeAndre

Here's the list. Some interesting names.

Dallas might just want to hold onto it as trade bait in case someone else wants to sign one of these guys.

Anangono, Juan
Cameron, Geoff
Castillo, Fabian
Flores, Junior
Gonzalez, Giancarlo
Gonzalez, Omar
Green, Julian
Henry, Doneil
Johannsson, Aron
Johnson, Fabian
Martins, Obafemi
Miazga, Matt
Najar, Andy
Poku, Kwadwo
Pulisic, Christian
Ream, Tim
Rivero, Octavio
Rochat, Alain
Rosell, Oriol
Rubin, Rubio
Sanchez, Richard
Valencia, Jose
Villafana, Jorge
Yedlin, DeAndre

I'd love Poku back in MLS.

Dallas must have someone in mind. The top allocation only lasts a year

Reactions: adam
Or they believe that some team will want to sign someone off that list, and they will have to pay Dallas to do it.
It's possible the allocation order was a throw in. Dallas did get $500k after all. And now if anyone in MLS wants to sign any player on the list in the next year Dallas has to get its taste.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Sacha Kljestan to LAFC for more than 400K GAM.

Red Bulls town hall gets better every year!

https://www.metro.us/sports/source-sacha-kljestan-likely-to-be-traded-to-los-angeles-football-club
LAFC is putting some pieces together.

ETA: Using their roster page along with other news here and there, they would have:
RB - Omar Gaber
RW - Carlos Vela
CB - Walker Zimmerman
CB - Laurent Ciman
GK - Tyler Miller
LW - Latif Blessing
FW - Marco Urena
CAM - Carlos Alvarez
CF - Bassey Etim
CF - Rodrigo Pacheco
CAM - Sacha Kljestan

Have been linked to Wesley Sneijder

Last edited:
Reactions: JayH
Should be just merge this with the 2018 MLS Transfer rumors thread?
Yeah I think so. I initially created a new one since the initial news was around who teams were exercising options on or not, which wasn't necessarily transfer-related. But that's what this thread is now.

Darlington Nagbe is bought by Atlanta United for $1.7 Million in Allocation Money

Darlington Nagbe is bought by Atlanta United for $1.7 Million in Allocation Money
So I guess we see now why they were ok with allowing Asad to go.

They mostly played a 4-2-3-1, correct? That gives them a front 4 of Martinez, Almiron, Nagbe, and Villalba. That's nuts.

They also just signed the LB from the Venezuelan U-20 National Team, Jose Hernandez

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
A lot of that is conditionally. I don't think Portland gets paid the full amount...

Nagbe has never had more than 9 goals or 7 assists. Both of those he achieved once and in different years. In 2017 he had 3G and 5A. With the Atlanta style of play and his new mates you can expect those to go up but those triggers still seem like longshots. So does MVP. Even if ATL crushes everyone I'd expect someone else to get that award. Top 3 in points seems very likely, but MLS Cup is always a dice roll. Still, that seems the most likely one to be triggered.