2018 Roster Discussion

If you need a fifth center back for one game, it's no big deal to spot-start Ring or one of the fullbacks there. If you need one for longer than that, chances are you'll want to go out and sign a starting-quality player instead of trusting the type of guy who'd fill a fifth CB slot. Look at it this way: Sands was our fifth CB before Hountondji's injury, and everybody was cool with that because he wasn't about play there. But lo and behold, as soon as it looks like Sands might actually get minutes at CB in some future contingency, people are clamoring to sign somebody else. So how much do you really need a fifth CB?

I agree that it's worth picking up a body for depth, since you never know what could happen and we don't have a reserve team to draw on in an emergency, but that's a whole lot lower on the list of priorities than a third CM, who's going to get regular minutes all season long.
Exactly. And it’s why I said we were a mid light all along. Fucking CFG. I’m sick of them. And it has nothing to do with PV leaving. Other than that the circumstances exposed them. Just like erectanetgate, etc.

They are money grubbing tools. I’m so sick of it. At least give me what I pay for. Or only make me pay for what I get.

And yeah, this is coming from a guy with the handle of Midas Mulligan. It’s not like being a profiteer inherently bothers me. It’s being a bunch of underhanded, lying, Mouch-dependent twats I can’t stand.

Last edited:
Need to break that Allocation Money out, don't we? $750k is GAM.

There are a lot of unknowns in the breakdown, but here's the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VdAHvneIyGoezUutbqJV5LM--eU6U6RYEf-yCxdb-_o/edit?usp=sharing

x56e5n2.png

UJUichR.png

It's a good question. MLS lists them as New Player TAM (https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-resources/2018-tam-players) and it's hard to fit the roster under the salary budget otherwise, so I'm assuming their contracts include some fees not captured in the MLSPA compensation figure that bring them into TAM range.
We paid a transfer fee for Ring so that makes sense. Ofori details are a little more murky. I guess we could have potentially paid a fee for the loan.

Reactions: Kjbert and dummyrun
On the telecast yesterday, Crooks said they are now looking for a central midfielder in the summer window.

If Dome does prefer a system with the outside backs tucking in to the midfield in attack would that mean our central midfielders could have less defensive responsibilities than in PVs systems where they had to cover for outside backs way up the pitch? If so, would this change the type of player we are after? Maybe we can go after a more creative offensively minded mid.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If Dome does prefer a system with the outside backs tucking in to the midfield in attack would that mean our central midfielders could have less defensive responsibilities than in PVs systems where they had to cover for outside backs way up the pitch? If so, would this change the type of player we are after? Maybe we can go after a more creative offensively minded mid.
Not sure, but if Ofori can hold down the middle with Sweat inverted next to him, it gives Ring the opportunity to push and create, and his first step is fast enough in the attack to get past any midfielder charged with marking him and his technical ability is a lot better than given credit for. I think he’s gonna be morphed into our poor-man’s KdB.

Not sure, but if Ofori can hold down the middle with Sweat inverted next to him, it gives Ring the opportunity to push and create, and his first step is fast enough in the attack to get past any midfielder charged with marking him and his technical ability is a lot better than given credit for. I think he’s gonna be morphed into our poor-man’s KdB.
One thing that is kind of exciting about a more advanced Ring, is his ability to turn the ball over. And perhaps we can turn it over higher up the field that will allow for some better opportunities off the counter.