2018 Roster Discussion

Carlos Vela right now is playing as well as anyone not named Giovinco at his peak. He's been awesome

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Best ever? On what basis?
I don't know. I didn't make the initial statement. I don't know that I would entirely disagree with it.

I would say based on what he's done so far while in the league, and that includes his FMF performances, he has played like he is the best player ever to play in MLS. Not player with the best career, or the most famous, or the most dominant because he's miles above a lot of really poor players.

I welcome your disagreement. It's pretty subjective, of course. But he's rampant and easily, for me, the best player this year. So best player in what is easily the best version of MLS we've ever seen has to be in there for discussion as best MLS player ever. Again, not judging careers here.

With my criteria, I'd also put 2016 (eta: fixed the year) David Villa way up there and 15-16 Giovinco. There's an argument for Henry and obviously a few Donovan and/or Keane years, too.

I don't know if makes sense to go back too far because that's hardly even comparable. Way too much has changed.

Anybody know what the length of TMac’s contract is? He signed a new one before the start of last season (2017), so if it’s a 2year with options, it’s over the end of this season. If that happens, I believe he qualifies for free agency as this will be his 5th(?) season and he’s 27, and I could see NYCFC doing him a solid by allowing him to stay on the roster (through the end of he season) getting minutes so as to give him some playing time stats.

Then again, we’re at 28 (if all 4 GK are counted) players on the roster now, and he’s the most deserving to be cut if not traded. If we have any interest in signing another senior player, or HG (if Haak or another wants to pull the trigger), then we gotta transfer out or cut somebody (and cutting does not give roster cap relief).

Last edited:
I think MLS should expand matchday squads. We should take the number to 23, and 3 (or more) must be u21.

You could even put a homegrown/US requirement in, too.

That would be a huge help in getting homegrowns minutes. Several times this year we could have given Sands and Scally (or even Lewis when he wasn't playing) quite a few minutes.

Serie A does it, and the world hasn't ended.

I think MLS should expand matchday squads. We should take the number to 23, and 3 (or more) must be u21.

You could even put a homegrown/US requirement in, too.

That would be a huge help in getting homegrowns minutes. Several times this year we could have given Sands and Scally (or even Lewis when he wasn't playing) quite a few minutes.

Serie A does it, and the world hasn't ended.
A HG requirement should happen. And if they’re (MLS in general) is afraid of making it a requirement to start an HG, then what about a 4th sub that has to be a HG & if used has to be before the 60th minute or fortfeited??? That way it isn’t a token 3minutes at the end.

Reactions: Kjbert
not blue city but the nycfc podcast though ( different podcast i believe). Something about villa holding out.
Holding out, as in he’s “still injured” until NYCFC gives him a new deal/exercises an option for 2019????

If that’s the case, Fck that!!! The club better not tie up his DP slot with him for another year. At most, a TAM spot, but he’s entered injury-age, and anything going forward has to be smaller.

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
Which NYCFC podcast is that? I assume it's not the one with NYCFCfan ? It's the other, shitty one?
It’s the NYCFC Podcast with Jordan Griffith and Nick Chavez. I just listened to it, and I am a little confused as to whether this is a legit rumor, or they are hypothesizing that this could be a reason Villa has been out much longer then expected.

I have kinda felt like something is a little weird, but at the same time, when they are talking about how it’s weird that we don’t have “up to the minute updates” on Villa, that has actually happened a few times with NYCFC. Remember when Lampard got hurt and he was “questionable” for so long and never played. Or how at the end of last year we rarely got any updates as to what was happening with Chanot?

It’s the NYCFC Podcast with Jordan Griffith and Nick Chavez. I just listened to it, and I am a little confused as to whether this is a legit rumor, or they are hypothesizing that this could be a reason Villa has been out much longer then expected.

I have kinda felt like something is a little weird, but at the same time, when they are talking about how it’s weird that we don’t have “up to the minute updates” on Villa, that has actually happened a few times with NYCFC. Remember when Lampard got hurt and he was “questionable” for so long and never played. Or how at the end of last year we rarely got any updates as to what was happening with Chanot?
I always skip those ones from the NYCFC Nation. Cannot bear to listen to either of those two for more than 3 minutes. I hate it when they do the combined shows, because I love the usual NYCFC Nation podcast.

That said, they mentioned that there too. They mentioned (from a source) that Villa might be realizing he doesn't have much soccer left in him and may want to get a last big payday playing over in China with Iniesta and Torres.

The context I heard it in was it was from a source (but not one of NYCFCfan sources), but it wasn't necessarily something that seemed concrete. The tone I heard it in was more along the lines of passing information along that was heard. Honestly, it surprises me a bit, considering everything we know about Villa, so I'm not putting any weight into it until something more comes out.

If those guys are making something like that up, they are the scummiest of the scum. Right now my listen list goes like this:

1. Dudes in Blue
2. NYCFC Nation
3. SITC
4. Blue City
5. Chavez & Griffith

If they are just making up controversy then I'll never bother listing again. They'd have gone from TMZ to National Inquirer level.