2018 Roster Discussion

Adi, at his best, is a top tier MLS Striker.
it doesn't seem, based on our rumors, that we'd be getting him- but honestly, with the TAM/GAM we have and the room, I don't see why not- he would be a good backup to Villa, and may even beat Berget to a spot- having 3 central forwards would be amazing going into the post-season.

Reactions: Kjbert
it doesn't seem, based on our rumors, that we'd be getting him- but honestly, with the TAM/GAM we have and the room, I don't see why not- he would be a good backup to Villa, and may even beat Berget to a spot- having 3 central forwards would be amazing going into the post-season.
He’s making 1.2 M base salary and would require some combo of TAM/GAM to even acquire him. Too much money for a backup.

isint that football field still small? i think when the cosmos tried to go there there was plans to add sod around the track
I just pulled a random name out of a hat only to make the point regarding a venue that had capacity consistent with our attendance rather than 54K.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
He’s making 1.2 M base salary and would require some combo of TAM/GAM to even acquire him. Too much money for a backup.
Honestly the way Villa has been this season, it wouldn't exactly make him a backup if he came. But I have a feeling Philly is going to pick him up- he really fits their style of play from what I've seen.

I didn't realize this rule existed. The Medina DP signing makes much more sense with these terms.

"Because Adi is a DP, Portland would receive 100 percent of any transfer fee until they recoup all out-of-pocket payments they’ve made to him since he joined the club. After those payments are recouped, Portland would receive 75 percent of whatever is left of the fee and the league would collect the remaining 25 percent. The Timbers would only be able to turn the latter part of their cut of the fee – the 75 percent after all out-of-pocket payments are collected – into General Allocation Money. "

I didn't realize this rule existed. The Medina DP signing makes much more sense with these terms.

"Because Adi is a DP, Portland would receive 100 percent of any transfer fee until they recoup all out-of-pocket payments they’ve made to him since he joined the club. After those payments are recouped, Portland would receive 75 percent of whatever is left of the fee and the league would collect the remaining 25 percent. The Timbers would only be able to turn the latter part of their cut of the fee – the 75 percent after all out-of-pocket payments are collected – into General Allocation Money. "
Yes but that money that you recoup can't be used on the roster only to potentially buy/pay a replacement DP or some other operations cost.

I don't understand what this means
Injuries, less playing time, unless this is Villa's final time being injured this season, which I somehow doubt. If theoretically Adi signed for us he would play to fill Villa's absences and/or so Villa could rest, with Berget as the backup. Many teams have two strikers that alternate to give the other a rest, and it could work for Villa.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Injuries, less playing time, unless this is Villa's final time being injured this season, which I somehow doubt. If theoretically Adi signed for us he would play to fill Villa's absences and/or so Villa could rest, with Berget as the backup. Many teams have two strikers that alternate to give the other a rest, and it could work for Villa.
So our starting striker would be Villa, earning $5.6m, then Fanendo Adi earning $1.2m, then Jo Inge Berget earning $600k ($1.93m for Adi and $817k for Berget if you include total comp). For one starting spot ($7.4m / $8.3m).

This at a time when Berget was really coming into a groove?

Now, Adi is only on contract through the end of this year, so we would only be on the books with him for the rest of this year, but I think money would be better spent elsewhere, especially considering the amount of TAM/GAM/whatever else it would cost to bring him over from Portland.

I like this signing. 19 year old kid who earned promotion to Uruguayan 1st division. Soccer in Uruguay is legendarily physical, so he must know how to avoid getting bodied off the ball. Also, he came up through Universidad de Chile, which has a good youth academy (Marcelo Salas came up through same). Not bad deep signing.