2018 Roster Discussion

This is how not playing the kids works.

Well, he's not wrong, but if I can add (not to speak for Lion), the players ahead of them on the depth chart deserve to be there because they are better than Sands and Scally. It's not a case of Erik Palmer Brown at SKC where he was clearly one of their most talented players but Vermes refused to play him

Well, he's not wrong, but if I can add (not to speak for Lion), the players ahead of them on the depth chart deserve to be there because they are better than Sands and Scally. It's not a case of Erik Palmer Brown at SKC where he was clearly one of their most talented players but Vermes refused to play him

How do we know whether Sands is a better CB than Hountondji and Ibeagha or a better DM than ... whoever's going to start this weekend? We knew Brown was good because he was a USYNT and academy stud. So's Sands. The difference is Brown was getting club minutes at 17 (which led to an offer from Juventus, which led to a loan to Porto, which led to a sale to Man City) and Sands hasn't yet.

Reactions: Ulrich
FWIW I heard that as many as 2 Academy players could have broken camp with us and joined the Senior Team to start the year. Scally was not one of the two.

I don't think they are done "negotiating" with other Academy players. Not sure negotiating is the right word but they have certainly spoken with at least two more Academy players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish the year with 4 Homegrown players. I have no clue if there are open hints being given by the club in terms of who is training with the Senior squad.

FWIW I heard that as many as 2 Academy players could have broken camp with us and joined the Senior Team to start the year. Scally was not one of the two.

I don't think they are done "negotiating" with other Academy players. Not sure negotiating is the right word but they have certainly spoken with at least two more Academy players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish the year with 4 Homegrown players. I have no clue if there are open hints being given by the club in terms of who is training with the Senior squad.
Haak has to be one. And betting the foreign kid we can’t figure out if he qualifies as HG.

[I’m not referencing Reyna as any likely players until he actually signs]

Playing the kids is great for a team that doesn't have MLS Cup aspirations. For a team that wants to win trophies, the best players will play. Talent has no age.

Most of last year's playoff teams are actually doing pretty well so far at giving academy kids minutes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QoueAji6ySHBJk2QsxzaPsaD0/edit#gid=2048148153

Top clubs around the world work academy players into the first team while competing for titles, and routinely discover that some of their kids are their best players. "Talent has no age" cuts both ways.

Most of last year's playoff teams are actually doing pretty well so far at giving academy kids minutes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QoueAji6ySHBJk2QsxzaPsaD0/edit#gid=2048148153

Top clubs around the world work academy players into the first team while competing for titles, and routinely discover that some of their kids are their best players. "Talent has no age" cuts both ways.
Yeah, it also means you can spend more on non-academy players. There is more cohesion and a more cohesive style of play, etc.

That all assumes you have a mature academy though.

And a reserve team!
Years ago, MLS has a separate reserve/B-squad league play that really didn’t work well. I don’t remember the logistics of the blunderous effort, but I think part of it was the smaller size of rosters, and coupled with injuries, there weren’t enough players to fill out the B-squads so teams either didn’t play matches or they called up guest players from local colleges or D3 teams.

But now that squads carry ~28-30 players, even with a few injuries, there should be enough to play 14 in the marquee MLS match, and then those subs could be available (if playing less than 45min) to supplement the rest of the B-squad to give the staff options.

The difficult part of the logistics is when to play the match since most teams want to fly home right after they play, so the B-squad would either be on their own, or the team delays departure; playing beforehand is out as it would tie the coaches hands on 1st team selection if there’s a late scratch. Maybe get the game rolling 10min after the final whistle and it wouldn’t end that much after the main squad finishes in the locker room and the post-game presser? Dunno, but it’d be a great way to get guys game minutes each week without having to be shipped out to an affiliate USL team, and the style/tactics could be kept the same by having the homogeneous practices instead of guys training with the USL team.

Years ago, MLS has a separate reserve/B-squad league play that really didn’t work well. I don’t remember the logistics of the blunderous effort, but I think part of it was the smaller size of rosters, and coupled with injuries, there weren’t enough players to fill out the B-squads so teams either didn’t play matches or they called up guest players from local colleges or D3 teams.

But now that squads carry ~28-30 players, even with a few injuries, there should be enough to play 14 in the marquee MLS match, and then those subs could be available (if playing less than 45min) to supplement the rest of the B-squad to give the staff options.

The difficult part of the logistics is when to play the match since most teams want to fly home right after they play, so the B-squad would either be on their own, or the team delays departure; playing beforehand is out as it would tie the coaches hands on 1st team selection if there’s a late scratch. Maybe get the game rolling 10min after the final whistle and it wouldn’t end that much after the main squad finishes in the locker room and the post-game presser? Dunno, but it’d be a great way to get guys game minutes each week without having to be shipped out to an affiliate USL team, and the style/tactics could be kept the same by having the homogeneous practices instead of guys training with the USL team.

I’d stick around for the “B” match in that system. But they need to keep serving a few beers. Also, maybe the B match is only 1 half long.

Realize many “top clubs around the world” have minimum 1 more than likely 2 or 3 cups (outside of the main season)throughout the year that requires they rotate the starting lineup due to fatigue. That being said, Hopefully the open cup will do something about this. Being in the CCL cup in subsequent years should require more of this. A starter who had done nothing wrong and has led the team to wins by being on the field does not deserve to be shown the bench for the sake of some future unknown prospects possible growth.

Realize many “top clubs around the world” have minimum 1 more than likely 2 or 3 cups (outside of the main season)throughout the year that requires they rotate the starting lineup due to fatigue. That being said, Hopefully the open cup will do something about this. Being in the CCL cup in subsequent years should require more of this. A starter who had done nothing wrong and has led the team to wins by being on the field does not deserve to be shown the bench for the sake of some future unknown prospects possible growth.

But with USOC and CCL, there isn't a large drop off in terms of competition when compared to European tournaments. Playing your B squad in USOC and CCL would likely end with a loss compared to the big clubs in Europe where you can play your B squad in the early rounds of those cup competitions. With USOC you're playing an MLS team usually right away and with CCL you're playing the best teams in CONCACAF, maybe even a LigaMX squad.

But with USOC and CCL, there isn't a large drop off in terms of competition when compared to European tournaments. Playing your B squad in USOC and CCL would likely end with a loss compared to the big clubs in Europe where you can play your B squad in the early rounds of those cup competitions. With USOC you're playing an MLS team usually right away and with CCL you're playing the best teams in CONCACAF, maybe even a LigaMX squad.
But then you can rotate and give a spot start or minutes against that season's COL/DCU MLS bottom of the table team in a regular season game.

That's fine, but our young players are not first on the depth chart. Who do you want Sands playing over? Ring? Chanot? Callens? There are other guys in front of him. Do you want Scally playing in front of Tinnerholm and SAS?

I'm fine with playing the kids, but only if they're tops on the depth chart. Don't play the kids just to play the kids.

That's fine, but our young players are not first on the depth chart. Who do you want Sands playing over? Ring? Chanot? Callens? There are other guys in front of him. Do you want Scally playing in front of Tinnerholm and SAS?

I'm fine with playing the kids, but only if they're tops on the depth chart. Don't play the kids just to play the kids.
It's probably helpful for their development in getting up the depth chart.

At least that's what I think the last 30 or so fuckers were trying to say.

I’d stick around for the “B” match in that system. But they need to keep serving a few beers. Also, maybe the B match is only 1 half long.

Why not before? Sell more concessions. Ease the traffic in. Make it a whole day thing. Allow re-entry, give the local entrepreneurs a shot in the arm.

Maybe the field wouldn't be able to take it? No idea really.