2018 Roster Discussion

Maybe the best article I've ever read about the roster creation from a major publication.

The biggest takeaway is that we look for value, even if it's at a $4M Medina vs. a $15M Barco. It sounds like we aren't going to spend for a very high transfer fee player which is disappointing if the opportunity arises.

Having money for the winter window?

Who the fuck is he talking to? Spend some money, punks.

Stop being cheapskates at every turn. Consider the ROI.

Ugh. I hate CFG like 85% of the time.
I feel you. But I also gotta admire a tycoon trying to be good at living like a wage slave. And maybe the winning comes (eventually) with the added benefit of an education which actually applies to me.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Having money for the winter window?

Who the fuck is he talking to? Spend some money, punks.

Stop being cheapskates at every turn. Consider the ROI.

Ugh. I hate CFG like 85% of the time.

That has nothing to do with CFG being cheap and 100% to do with the salary cap in this league. Signing guys for 2 years or whatever now means they'll have less money under the cap next year/this offseason.

That has nothing to do with CFG being cheap and 100% to do with the salary cap in this league. Signing guys for 2 years or whatever now means they'll have less money under the cap next year/this offseason.
Yeah, I thought about that this morning after reading the whole article. But I still think you have to make some significant moves this summer.

The dwindling window of Villa-power is one reason. Add the corollary of that - we’re looking at a renovation of our front 5 by the end of those two years anyway - and I think you have to go for it.

Herrera has to be replaced long-term anyway (or could easily be scuttled, in any event).

I’d actually go the leftback route for buy #2. Sweat could be our 4th CB. If we got an injury at LB and CB simultaneously, we’d still have LB cover if we slide over Tinny or SAS.

Just my two cents. I’d rather have someone move Sweat to the bench than bring in a backup CB. That’s how I prefer to build depth - you shouldn’t buy it but create it by buying better than what you have.

The cap is always a concern but the quote said they are concerned about money for the winter window, which doesn't make sense to me. It's easier to get players right now when most leagues are between seasons as opposed to the winter window when you're trying to get a player from a team mid season. I don't understand the logic, if a player you want is available now spend the money, why save money for an unknown situation during the winter window.

Yeah, I thought about that this morning after reading the whole article. But I still think you have to make some significant moves this summer.

The dwindling window of Villa-power is one reason. Add the corollary of that - we’re looking at a renovation of our front 5 by the end of those two years anyway - and I think you have to go for it.

Herrera has to be replaced long-term anyway (or could easily be scuttled, in any event).

I’d actually go the leftback route for buy #2. Sweat could be our 4th CB. If we got an injury at LB and CB simultaneously, we’d still have LB cover if we slide over Tinny or SAS.

Just my two cents. I’d rather have someone move Sweat to the bench than bring in a backup CB. That’s how I prefer to build depth - you shouldn’t buy it but create it by buying better than what you have.

I agree with you that they should do something, it just needs to be the right move. Don't rush into something out of a misguided need to do *something* -- if nothing good is available, standing pat is better than making a mistake.

I agree with you that they should do something, it just needs to be the right move. Don't rush into something out of a misguided need to do *something* -- if nothing good is available, standing pat is better than making a mistake.

I think the point is that there are players on the team who are going to get dropped at the end of the season, but who are undroppable now, who will therefore need to be replaced in the winter window. Villa is probably the biggest name on that list but there may be others. So they need to be careful to preserve flexibility for the future by not overspending now (or otherwise they risk jeopardizing future seasons a la TFC).

I guess this shows a few things:
1. Moralez for MVP?
2. For the people talking about Villa not producing this season and that he should potentially be benched... He is averaging the highest G/A in the smallest amount of minutes. (not counting lewis here because it's too small of a sample size.) If not for injuries, he would probably be at a higher goal/assist tally.

-edit- oops, I misunderstood context for #2. Ignore that ^-^

Last edited:
1. Moralez for MVP?
2. For the people talking about Villa not producing this season and that he should potentially be benched... He is averaging the highest G/A in the smallest amount of minutes. (not counting lewis here because it's too small of a sample size.) If not for injuries, he would probably be at a higher goal/assist tally.

I don’t think anyone said Villa isn’t producing or should be benched. Just that the team shows better chemistry when he’s not on the lineup. And the only reason we can think of is they rely on him too much and run the offense through him because he’s so good.

1. Moralez for MVP?
Point of information.... neither attacking nor defending Villa, but Villa has always gotten the benefit of taking PKs whether he earned them or another player did, so his numbers will always be more skewed. Granted, Maxi has at least 1 PK this season (I believe).

Villa not producing this season and that he should potentially be benched
Who said that? Didn't we go through the whole discussion expounding on the idea that it's not Villa people are questioning, but potentially whether our team plays better on the whole when he's out. Check out the quest for everything thread for more info.

eta: damnit, adam adam

Reactions: adam
Who said that? Didn't we go through the whole discussion expounding on the idea that it's not Villa people are questioning, but potentially whether our team plays better on the whole when he's out. Check out the quest for everything thread for more info.

eta: damnit, adam adam
I don’t think anyone said Villa isn’t producing or should be benched. Just that the team shows better chemistry when he’s not on the lineup. And the only reason we can think of is they rely on him too much and run the offense through him because he’s so good.

erp- sorry, I guess I misunderstood the conversation at the time.
How do you guys quote just a person? is it [QUOTE="<name>][/QUOTE] without any content?