2018 Schedule

Anyone compare our schedule with Yankees to see which games broadcast on YES are going to be shown on delay?

With the caveat that some of these Yankees games could be on WPIX or national TV -- their full TV schedule isn't out yet:

March 11 vs LAG: No conflict (NYCFC at 5, Nets at 7:30)
March 24 at NE: No conflict (Yankees exhibition game at the same time)
April 11 vs RSL: Likely conflict (Yankees, NYCFC, Nets all on at the same time)
April 29 vs FCD: No conflict (Yankees at 8, but they're on ESPN this night)
May 19 vs COL: No conflict (NYCFC at 1, Yankees at 7)
June 2 vs ORL: Possible conflict (Yankees at 4, NYCFC at 7:30)
June 9 vs ATL: No conflict (NYCFC at 12:30pm, Yankees at 7)
June 24 vs TOR: Unlikely conflict (Yankees at 1, NYCFC at 5)
June 30 at CHI: No conflict (Yankees are on FOX, freeing up YES for NYCFC)
July 11 vs MTL: Likely conflict (Yankees and NYCFC at same time)
July 14 vs CLB: Likely conflict (Yankees and NYCFC at same time)

Aug. 4 vs VAN: Unlikely conflict (Yankees at 4 (at BOS, though), NYCFC at 8)
Aug. 18 at PHI: Possible conflict (Yankees at 1, NYCFC game is time TBD)
Sept. 1 at CLB: No conflict (Yankees at 1, NYCFC at 8)
Sept. 5 vs NE: No conflict (NYCFC at 7, Yankees at 10)
Sept. 22 at MTL: Possible conflict (Yankees at 4, NYCFC at 7:30)
Sept. 26 vs CHI: Possible conflict (Both teams play at same time)

Sept. 29 at MIN: Unlikely conflict (Yankees time TBD, NYCFC at 8)

Again, some of these Yankees games will probably be on Ch. 11 -- that's what they did last year to limit conflicts.

Last edited:
Someone remind me what the turnaround time is for turning the pitch back into a baseball field.

If they moved some of these Wednesday games to Friday night they'd have roughly 70 hours to convert it back for a Monday night baseball game.

Another question.... Is it normal for them to have a 22 day break between their game on September 29th and their next game on October 22nd? Is that a long international break?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Someone remind me what the turnaround time is for turning the pitch back into a baseball field.

If they moved some of these Wednesday games to Friday night they'd have roughly 70 hours to convert it back for a Monday night baseball game.

Another question.... Is it normal for them to have a 22 day break between their game on September 29th and their next game on October 22nd? Is that a long international break?

72 hours. But even if they could squeeze that to 69-70, the grounds crew probably won’t start an 8 hour shift at 10 pm.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

72 hours. But even if they could squeeze that to 69-70, the grounds crew probably won’t start an 8 hour shift at 10 pm.

The priority for Yankee Stadium is converting the soccer field to a baseball field. Right after NYCFC game ends, they start turning it over back to baseball.

I haven't been to the last game of a Yankees series before it's an NYCFC so I don't know if they go ahead and convert to soccer right away.

The priority for Yankee Stadium is converting the soccer field to a baseball field. Right after NYCFC game ends, they start turning it over back to baseball.

I haven't been to the last game of a Yankees series before it's an NYCFC so I don't know if they go ahead and convert to soccer right away.

I would think soccer to baseball is easier than baseball to soccer. It's not realistic to play Friday night and have it ready for baseball Monday night?

I would think soccer to baseball is easier than baseball to soccer. It's not realistic to play Friday night and have it ready for baseball Monday night?
They never play Saturday night when the Yankees return Tuesday. In every such instance the NYCFC game is Saturday afternoon. This has been gone over dozens of times here.

Yes. Wait 20 minutes after a game. You'll see the carts coming up to pickup the sod.

Saw this happen once this year. Wife and I took our son and 3 month old (parent fail) to a match. We waited for the stadium to clear out so it was easier for us to shuttle out of there as a family. It's like the Yankees can't wait to turn the field over. Funny to watxh

Reactions: mgarbowski
I just thought about this: What if there was a tifo for the game against Atlanta that quoted A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie's "Undefeated". You know, to just show Atlanta(who's fans obsess over the city's hip-hop culture), that NYC soccer and hip hop is still alive and well.

I think it's catching up to me
Nobody's catching up to me
Like can I get some company
Like damn I'm really undefeated, yeah, yeah, yeah

He's also from the Bronx, so it all works out too.

I just thought about this: What if there was a tifo for the game against Atlanta that quoted A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie's "Undefeated". You know, to just show Atlanta(who's fans obsess over the city's hip-hop culture), that NYC soccer and hip hop is still alive and well.

I like this a lot. Soccer hasn't embraced Hip Hop enough while Hip Hop has begun embracing Soccer.

Reactions: rbose14

Are we gonna be undefeated on June 3?

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
By the way, I think the imbalance between East and West may lead to some scheduling quirks that we are not anticipating.

In the East, to get to 34 games, everyone plays other EC teams twice and the WC teams once, with a third game against two other EC teams. Except that the odd number of teams means at least one team has to play its extra game against a WC team. This year, it was Atlanta getting an extra game with Minnesota.

In the West, to get to 34 games, each team plays other WC teams twice and the EC teams once, with a third game against one other team. Except that with 12 conference games, the extra game pairs off easily, and there is nobody free to play the extra game against an EC team. In other words, this year Minnesota won’t have an extra game free to play Atlanta.

Now, I am sure there is a way around this, but I haven’t noodled on it long enough to figure out the alternatives. I suspect we may go to an odd number of games this year, or otherwise change things in ways that might surprise people.
This post prompted speculation, mostly by Gator and me, over how to accommodate the issue Gator spotted, which I bolded to make it easier to follow. Basically we thought you could not work it out among 11 teams that every team could pair off with 2 other teams. He proposed a couple of solutions including changing the 34 game schedule, and I thought we would see one pair of East teams play each other 4 times.
We both were wrong not because our solutions were off but because Gator identified a problem that doesn't exist, and to be fair, I thought he was right. With 11 teams in the conference you can have every team play 2 other teams 3 times if you set it up right. Last year they handled it differently but they did not have to.

Here is how the 3-game matchups work out:

Atlanta: DC, Orlando
Chicago, Columbus, Toronto
Columbus, Philly, Chicago
DC: RB, Atlanta
Montreal: TFC, New England
New England: Philly, Montreal
NYCFC: RB, Orlando
RB: NYCFC, DC
Orlando: Atlanta, NYCFC
Philadelphia: Columbus, New England
Toronto: Montreal, Chicago

This post prompted speculation, mostly by Gator and me, over how to accommodate the issue Gator spotted, which I bolded to make it easier to follow. Basically we thought you could not work it out among 11 teams that every team could pair off with 2 other teams. He proposed a couple of solutions including changing the 34 game schedule, and I thought we would see one pair of East teams play each other 4 times.
We both were wrong not because our solutions were off but because Gator identified a problem that doesn't exist, and to be fair, I thought he was right. With 11 teams in the conference you can have every team play 2 other teams 3 times if you set it up right. Last year they handled it differently but they did not have to.

Here is how the 3-game matchups work out:

Atlanta: DC, Orlando
Chicago, Columbus, Toronto
Columbus, Philly, Chicago
DC: RB, Atlanta
Montreal: TFC, New England
New England: Philly, Montreal
NYCFC: RB, Orlando
RB: NYCFC, DC
Orlando: Atlanta, NYCFC
Philadelphia: Columbus, New England
Toronto: Montreal, Chicago

Still hate how they try to manufacture a rivalry with Orlando. Give us the revs please. NYC-Boston (supposedly) makes so much more sense.

Still hate how they try to manufacture a rivalry with Orlando. Give us the revs please. NYC-Boston (supposedly) makes so much more sense.
The way that the Orlando fans (and MLS) have tried to manufacture a rivalry annoys me so much, that I do in fact dislike that team. Add in the Kreis factor and their crotch grabbing fans, and it does feel rivilary-ish in my mind, at least from the fans’ perspective. Not a true rivalry, and not for the reasons MLS and the the O fans call it a rivalry, but it’s a game I get up for just a little more than against, for example, the Revs.

For us, yes. I’m tired of the Orlando games, but there’s no better option. To give us the Revs means they drop either Montreal or Philly. MTL/ORL makes zero sense, so switch Philly to Orlando. It’s closer to Orlando than NYC, right?
Except then you have a major Northeast Corridor City who potentially is rival to 4 other Northeast teams and gets none of them, with assigned “rivals” in the Midwest (Columbus) and Florida instead. That’s way too unfair to Philadelphia. At least we have the Red Bulls.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam