2019 Schedule Thread

i just emailed my rep to see if there is a legitimate reason for placing me 30 rows back from my usual row. i'm sure i'll get no response or some PR jargon that doesn't answer my question whatsoever.

will report back if/when i get a response.

Reactions: mgarbowski and adam
i just emailed my rep to see if there is a legitimate reason for placing me 30 rows back from my usual row. i'm sure i'll get no response or some PR jargon that doesn't answer my question whatsoever.

will report back if/when i get a response.

godspeed

Shockingly, my rep replied. After telling me that i should have the same view from row 33 first level as my row 3 second level at YS and basically saying that i should be grateful cause i'm on the first level now he says this about how they did the seat assignments:

"People have not been haphazardly placed – we have a top box office team who had to try to transpose thousands of seats from one Stadium to the next. None of it is intentional – the team is doing its absolute best to provide like for like seating. It’s not going to be exact.

No one has gotten seats yet other than City Members. The pre-sale is at noon for additional seats – I don’t believe they opened up all the seats as of yesterday evening. We have limited availability in certain areas and a lot of inventory in other areas, it’s just how it worked out."

Assigning like for like seats was always going to be a huge task - very complicated with thousands of different decisions over a very different stadium layout.

People are badly underestimating how hard this was.
True, but it also seems like there are a lot of issues that could have been somewhat easily avoided. This is an extremely difficult task, but it appears to me that the club has still fucked some of this up pretty bad.

True, but it also seems like there are a lot of issues that could have been somewhat easily avoided. This is an extremely difficult task, but it appears to me that the club has still fucked some of this up pretty bad.

i think the vibes were better last time when they just let everyone pick their seats. They should have set up call in times based on when you signed up/if you have luxury seats/SS seats, to sign in and pick your own. That would have required less work on club’s end. And everyone would have felt empowered to choose for themselves.

Assigning like for like seats was always going to be a huge task - very complicated with thousands of different decisions over a very different stadium layout.

Agreed, this was a rough job. However, for those who were asking - row 1 at YS does not translate to row 1 at CF. I am in row 1 in 200 level and row 6 at CF.

I’m in full agreement with SoupInNYC SoupInNYC once the club sent us to Citi last year, they knew it was a possible venue moving forward, and at that time they should have initiated an internal evaluation on how they’d transfer seats. They’ve had a year and they squandered it, and now they’ve rolled out a half-assed solution that’s pissing off the majority of the STH left.

I told my rep last week that I wanted to sit next to my buddy with whom I sit next to at YS. His response was that there are no guarantees and if it doesn’t work out he suggests we put our four tix up for sale and buy four new ones next to each other....... WTF?!?! That’s the absolute most asinine solution over ever heard of and is a big Fck you to a STH that proactively raised a concern. I haven’t confirmed we are seated next to each other, as it really wouldn’t matter at this juncture, but it’s the total lack of forethought by the club that’s baffling and it’s par for the course as to their running list of screwups.

I’m in full agreement with SoupInNYC SoupInNYC once the club sent us to Citi last year, they knew it was a possible venue moving forward, and at that time they should have initiated an internal evaluation on how they’d transfer seats. They’ve had a year and they squandered it, and now they’ve rolled out a half-assed solution that’s pissing off the majority of the STH left.

I told my rep last week that I wanted to sit next to my buddy with whom I sit next to at YS. His response was that there are no guarantees and if it doesn’t work out he suggests we put our four tix up for sale and buy four new ones next to each other....... WTF?!?! That’s the absolute most asinine solution over ever heard of and is a big Fck you to a STH that proactively raised a concern. I haven’t confirmed we are seated next to each other, as it really wouldn’t matter at this juncture, but it’s the total lack of forethought by the club that’s baffling and it’s par for the course as to their running list of screwups.

it baffles me that people are getting separated in such extreme manners. sure, the sizes of sections aren't the same. seating isn't exactly the same. you can imagine a few people being bumped to the next section over or the next couple rows up or down within the same section, but having people within the same section spread out over 4 different sections and rows is just stupid. why wouldn't you take the first 3 rows of say section 113 and place them in the first 3 rows of section 126? that's as like for like as you can get regardless of whether they are all on one account or not. Those seats are together, so they should stay together. PERIOD. but instead it sounds like they took all the seating assignments, threw them in a lottery barrel and started having a little game for themselves.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
Agreed, this was a rough job. However, for those who were asking - row 1 at YS does not translate to row 1 at CF. I am in row 1 in 200 level and row 6 at CF.

Sure, but here's the problem -- there are not the same amount of rows in the bottom level at Citi Field. So if you run out of rows at Citi in the bottom level, how do you accommodate those people? And then you accommodate those people, you have to fix the issue for the fans that have been moved up a few rows. Then you fix those people, you run out of room in the section, you have to move other people to a different section. And on and on for an entire stadium worth of people.

I agree with Gator -- this job was impossibly difficult and to act like we have any idea about the issues of trying to please 12-15,000 season ticket holders is pretty laughable. The fact they were able to find seats in similar sections is a victory in and of itself. Complaining about which row you're in is really harsh and completely unfair.

The City Member presale doesn't allow you to see the row in the section you selected until after the purchase has gone thru... What the Actual Fudge are they doing????

EDIT: Apparently you have to select 'best seats' to see the row and seat numbers before checkout... god damn I hate this club some times.

Last edited:
The City Member presale doesn't allow you to see the row in the section you selected until after the purchase has gone thru... What the Actual Fudge are they doing????

EDIT: Apparently you have to select 'best seats' to see the row and seat numbers before checkout... god damn I hate this club some times.

If you use the Member Add On through standard account manager, you are able to select specific seats and rows. That is what I did.

As to the transfer of seat assignments, I agree with those noting that it was a difficult (nigh impossible) task. Perhaps they could have prepared for it earlier in the season to provide more time to smooth out specific issues, but there was no way to move seats perfectly. Regardless, all roads lead to the underlying stadium issue.

As someone who opted out and is somewhat indifferent/impartial, I do think the seat assignment complaints are fair. It circles back, yet again, to transparency.
I get that this is a difficult task. I think they did a pretty good job with Step 1, which was mapping sections of YS to Citi Sections. I say that even though I hated my section assignment so much that I opted out, because even though I hated it, I can't pick out a better option and generally I think their mapping makes sense. So I give them solid marks for that.

But though I also recognize that Step 2 is logistically even tougher, I can't give them better than a "D" on how they handled it, and frankly an "F" would not be irrational. Even adjusting for the fact that the people most poorly handled will make the most noise, I'm seeing too many reports of people sitting right next to each other placed several sections apart. And having seen multiple reports of Row 1 seats at YS not getting Row 1 at Citi, I'm pretty sure I have yet to see a single counter example, where someone replies to a post or Reddit comment, or tweet, saying FWIW, I'm Row 1 at YS and also got Row 1 at Citi. The closest I have seen is Row 2 and many report being much further back. It is hard not to conclude that they did not even try to keep any sort of like for like mapping within sections. Maybe that's wrong, but the club is not even presenting a counterfactual story.

Which is why it comes back to transparency and communication: If they did try to do a better job than what appears to be random chance, they had to know days and even weeks ago how they planned to do this. Good communication would have given some notice and explanation:

Please note that though we will try to accommodate everyone with seats as close to their Yankee Stadium seats as possible, there are limitations. For example, more than 2,500 season tickets holders sit in front row seats at Yankee Stadium, and there are only 1,800 corresponding front row seats at Citi Field. But we can guarantee that anyone with a front row seat will be no further back than the third row of any given section. Similarly, though we will try to keep seatmates together, even those not on the same account, we have to warn you that in some instances that will not be possible and people may even be 2-3 sections away from each other.
We apologize and ask for your cooperation and understanding as we all navigate and try to make the best of what we acknowledge is a less than perfect situation.
Boom. Good will.
But instead the CFG way is admit nothing, explain nothing, and circle the wagons.* It's been that way since Lampard. Never admit. Never confess. No excuses. No apologies. We do things as we see fit and if you don't like it as a customer you have 2 options. Accept it or don't. So why should we customers give them the benefit of the doubt when they handle every damn negative situation the same way? I mean, they're not even claiming they made even a minimal effort to keep Row 1 in Row 1, or seat buddies close to each other. So why should we assume that's what they did if they don't even say so?

* I think things were marginally better under Patricof, though the essential culture did not change. This year under Sims I see complete regression to the CFG way.

Last edited:
im in supporters so i feel i dont feel this pinch but id feel pretty pissed if i had three seats to my name and they are all over now.

i realize that if we do host the final it may be another cluster fuck even if its at YS as MLS handles all that, and you have get in some lottery i think to get a ticket.

im in supporters so i feel i dont feel this pinch but id feel pretty pissed if i had three seats to my name and they are all over now.

i realize that if we do host it may be another cluster fuck even if its at YS as MLS handles all that, and you have get in some lottery i think to get a ticket.

if MLS Cup is at Yankee stadium and every season ticket holder doesn’t get a ticket (note: not necessarily their season ticket location, just a ticket) then that is ludicrous. The stadium seats what 45k? And there are 10-12k season tickets probably?

Reactions: adam