2022 Concacaf Champions League

We beat one cascadian team, we can beat the other ;)

we didn't beat vancouver though. :p
if we can go to seattle and drop a few away goals, that would be huge.

scotiabank CCL twitter is completely dead tonight. no ligaMX fans overflowing with their BS. lol.

Last edited:
Schmetzer had the hindsight of seeing both what happened with both NYCFC and New England, but interesting that they didn't treat their approach as a 3-0 lead to start ("We’re not going to go down there just to defend for 90 minutes. That would be foolish of us. They’re too good of a team").

Arena didn't concede that their game plan was poor but to his credit, it sounds like there was consensus within the team and the players take ownership:
  • Arena: "We made some mistakes that caused goals, but that's the way it goes"
  • Brandon Bye: “At the end of the day, that's the decision we made and we went through it [...] We have to be together on that. Whatever the decision was, whether it was go find a goal, defend, whatever it is we made that decision as a team, as a coaching staff, as a unit and that's something that we have to live with.”

I did not see the entire match, but of all the CONCACAF I watched, my perception was that the officiating was okay. After Montero Was called for a foul from what looked to me like a Leon player pushing him into another Leon player, I thought, oh boy…
Seattle getting a PK in the first half ( which I did not see) seems like a miracle though and I would think made the match less chaotic than many of the others.

Did a Seattle homer write this? Just made me roll my eyes. How can you mention that NYC’s been logging 1000s of miles of travel and not playing at their home venue but then still say how Seattle will be able to beat us. I don’t know man, it’s dumb. There’s just too much gushing. Where’s the eye roll emoji when you need it?

Did a Seattle homer write this? Just made me roll my eyes. How can you mention that NYC’s been logging 1000s of miles of travel and not playing at their home venue but then still say how Seattle will be able to beat us. I don’t know man, it’s dumb. There’s just too much gushing. Where’s the eye roll emoji when you need it?
I'd argue that Seattle are the favorites, due to their depth, experience and the fact that we aren't playing at our true home stadium. Typically, you'd think that beating a LigaMX side would be a better achievement than beating one from Guatemala, but Comunicaciones were MUCH better at pressing and causing defensive chaos than León.

Ronny can't substitute like that again, and I think he knows it.

It's gonna be a hella difficult tie for both teams, and one that either could win.

Maybe now the people who always ask for early subs (me included) will stop and think that maybe when Ronny doesn't make the early subs we all ask for, there's a reason why.

I still have no issue with that sub. Would probably still do the same thing in the exact same situation even after knowing how it went last time.

The one sub I wouldn't have done is Vuk on for Magno. Would rather have taken Acevedo off for Zelalem to try and maintain possession better.

Maybe now the people who always ask for early subs (me included) will stop and think that maybe when Ronny doesn't make the early subs we all ask for, there's a reason why.
Yeah, I think Ronny managed the subs well late last season and had his good reasons for keeping players in longer/later at times and a quicker fuse at other times. I believe the timing of his substitutions in the 2nd leg was correct (I can't fault them since I called for them myself in real time) - I think his only flaw was not the timing but not recognizing the limitations of personnel - here not properly assessing that Gloster wasn't up for the task and/or would panic under pressure. The difference of that result being a blow-out on aggregate vs. a close call was really razor thin in Gloster making several costly giveaways and being unable to drain the clock. The only lesson learned is probably regarding the ability of the bottom of the depth chart.

Yeah, I think Ronny managed the subs well late last season and had his good reasons for keeping players in longer/later at times and a quicker fuse at other times. I believe the timing of his substitutions in the 2nd leg was correct (I can't fault them since I called for them myself in real time) - I think his only flaw was not the timing but not recognizing the limitations of personnel - here not properly assessing that Gloster wasn't up for the task and/or would panic under pressure. The difference of that result being a blow-out on aggregate vs. a close call was really razor thin in Gloster making several costly giveaways and being unable to drain the clock. The only lesson learned is probably regarding the ability of the bottom of the depth chart.
Yeah. Sorry. I want no part of Gloster unless we’re playing at home up by 4 goals against Cincinnati.

You can empty your bench against Santos de Guapiles. Ronny learned that he can’t do that against a better opponent, which is a good lesson going forward.

I'd argue that Seattle are the favorites, due to their depth, experience and the fact that we aren't playing at our true home stadium. Typically, you'd think that beating a LigaMX side would be a better achievement than beating one from Guatemala, but Comunicaciones were MUCH better at pressing and causing defensive chaos than León.

It's gonna be a hella difficult tie for both teams, and one that either could win.

Cannot be understated how much more dangerous comuni looked than Leon. Their sheer aggression alone was miles above Leon. Leon did not look like they were playing for their lives until the last 10 mins.

This will be a rough match. We've played at rba enough that the field won't be an issue. Wednesday night will be.

Reactions: mgarbowski
We all knew the early stint away from home and schedule congestion were taking a toll but I was still a little surprised to see the numbers in Sims’ email to STH’s, when he was listing the challenges in Guatemala: “altitude, pitch quality, impassioned fans, and our team spending 46 of the last 55 nights on the road and traveling 17,000+ miles since preseason began.”

Hope the next few weeks give some time to recharge before Seattle

Reactions: JayH and SoupInNYC
So……should we make it to the final…..what needs to happen so the 2nd leg is home in the United States?…….im having a hard time convincing my wife to let me go to another final this time in Mexico

Basically, we need to win both legs.

Current points:

NYCFC - 9 points
Cruz Azul - 12 points
Pumas - 8 points

Finals:

The highest ranked club based on total points accumulated in The Competition, will host the 2nd leg Final.

Teams will be awarded three(3) points for every match they win and one (1) point for every match they tie.

No points will be awarded for matches lost.

To determine the ranking of the clubs the following tiebreaker criteria will apply:

1. Most points awarded;
2. Best goal difference;
3. Most goals scored;
4. Most away goals scored;
5. Most wins;
6. Most away wins;
7. The lowest number of points accumulated based on the number of yellow and red cards per match according to the following parameters:

• First yellow card: + 1 point
• Second yellow card (Indirect Red Card): + 3 points
• Direct red card: + 4 points
• Yellow card and direct red card: + 5 points

Reactions: Victors87
Basically, we need to win both legs.

Current points:

NYCFC - 9 points
Cruz Azul - 12 points
Pumas - 8 points

Finals:

The highest ranked club based on total points accumulated in The Competition, will host the 2nd leg Final.

Teams will be awarded three(3) points for every match they win and one (1) point for every match they tie.

No points will be awarded for matches lost.

To determine the ranking of the clubs the following tiebreaker criteria will apply:

1. Most points awarded;
2. Best goal difference;
3. Most goals scored;
4. Most away goals scored;
5. Most wins;
6. Most away wins;
7. The lowest number of points accumulated based on the number of yellow and red cards per match according to the following parameters:

• First yellow card: + 1 point
• Second yellow card (Indirect Red Card): + 3 points
• Direct red card: + 4 points
• Yellow card and direct red card: + 5 points
This is the current points total (edited because I screwed up Pumas):

Cruz Azul: 10 points, +4 GD
NYCFC: 9 points, +6 GD
Seattle: 8 points, +8 GD
Pumas: 7 points, 0 GD

Last edited:
I still have no issue with that sub. Would probably still do the same thing in the exact same situation even after knowing how it went last time.

The one sub I wouldn't have done is Vuk on for Magno. Would rather have taken Acevedo off for Zelalem to try and maintain possession better.

Yeah at 2-1 up and 5-2 up in the tie with 30 minutes to go, it's basically over and you're rotating guys. I have no issues with what he did. It blew up on him because the players played poorly. But it was the right thing to do in the moment.