2022 Concacaf Champions League

NE conceded possession and was inviting crosses into the box all night. Not as defensive as we were in the last 20 against Communicaciones, but I wasn’t surprised when Pumas got their first. Passing network charts show NE down the middle, Pumas on the wings. NE have a good CB pair except that you take out as an injury precaution Andrew Farrell — the guy who has played more minutes for NE than anyone — and put a guy in who hasn’t played in the tournament yet, John Bell, who gets beat by Dinneno in the box for the first Pumas goal.

Still didn’t think Pumas would overcome the 3-0 deficit from the first leg but now they’re the first CCL team to do it.

Mo Edu was talking on the broadcast about NE needing to be clinical but I don’t think they had great chances. MLS website doesn’t have xG for the CCL matches unfortunately.

Feel bad for Tommy Mac missing his penalty though

edit: typo

Arena was quoted saying "We don't need to score... they do" and so they did.

After lleget's blast over the goal, i think arena said "what the fuck was that?" lol.

not having farrell/kessler starting CBs hurts for sure. but they could have defended with their attack (i.e., defend from the front) instead of hanging back and inviting pressure. Arena was so scared of the transition counters and the team getting tired that they barely pressed. 1 away goal could have made all the difference tonight.

Reactions: danger
Fuck that, I want an MLS team to actually win this competition for once, jesus christ man.

for me as long as it’s us it’s all groovy, anyone else in mls meh they can screw themselves, I don’t forget the crap we get year after year from them

nycfc over the rest of mls

Last edited:
Yeah, my feeling about the Champions League games (both here and in Europe) is that playing teams you would not ordinarily play domestically is what makes it so much fun and exciting. Leaving aside the logistical issues which may be a detriment, I much prefer making it through beating the int'l teams, especially in a final (if we get there). Let's go!

so are we thinking seattle gonna choke tonight too? and pundits are gonna say "it's because they don't have ruidiaz and lodeiro.."

Yeah, my feeling about the Champions League games (both here and in Europe) is that playing teams you would not ordinarily play domestically is what makes it so much fun and exciting. Leaving aside the logistical issues which may be a detriment, I much prefer making it through beating the int'l teams, especially in a final (if we get there). Let's go!

I wish Concacaf, and maybe even Copa Libertadores, would consider using pod play for tournaments. Instead of home-and-home two leg matches, put four teams in pods and have the higher seed host each game for the pod. You travel once, play three games in a week against each of the other teams in your pod, and the top two advance to the next round. You can do Wednesday - Saturday - Wednesday matchdays.

This 16-team tournament could have two pod rounds, followed by a semifinals and a finals.

It drastically reduces travel strain and I think the group stage format is more exciting than two separate matchups. Leon and Cruz Azul would have been the hosts for the Quarterfinal pods this year. How fun would it have been to play Communicaciones, Sounders, and Leon this round, while being invested in the games between the other teams as it would affect our odds of going through?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I wish Concacaf, and maybe even Copa Libertadores, would consider using pod play for tournaments. Instead of home-and-home two leg matches, put four teams in pods and have the higher seed host each game for the pod. You travel once, play three games in a week against each of the other teams in your pod, and the top two advance to the next round. You can do Wednesday - Saturday - Wednesday matchdays.

This 16-team tournament could have two pod rounds, followed by a semifinals and a finals.

It drastically reduces travel strain and I think the group stage format is more exciting than two separate matchups. Leon and Cruz Azul would have been the hosts for the Quarterfinal pods this year. How fun would it have been to play Communicaciones, Sounders, and Leon this round, while being invested in the games between the other teams as it would affect our odds of going through?

no, the point of these tournaments is that teams get to host games. While nycfc cant really host games ( due to concacaf) doesnt mean that comunicationes leon and even sounders should not host their home game.

however, i do think the leagues cup next year will probably be like this.

Any realistic result other than a Seattle win tonight and NYCFC 'hosts' the second leg of the semifinals

if Seattle qualifies, is there any chance that they can push for Citi/ YS since both teams are in MLS and play in these venues anyway for the league.

Seattle are doing great. Chances are slim Leon can score 5 goals in the second half

Liga MX fans were all over social media last night saying MLS is crap. I can't wait to see them make excuses tonight hah

Sounders absorbing pressure all second half but staying organized. Leon haven't been able to create anything

Seattle played well without 3 of their key players.. semifinal is gonna be a wild one!

Hoping Acevedo doesnt see the field

fuck Seattle, but here we go it won’t be easy at all, especially with all that travel and turf.

how much we gotta pay concacaf to let it be in nyc since both teams are in MLS