2022 Roster Discussion

If it is in fact the case Leeds spit the bit on Taty because the price is too high, they're running into a heck of a lot of trouble with the alternatives, all of which look pricier, and maybe by a lot.

Leeds United 'approach Bordeaux with enquiry' for teenage sensation Sekou Mara - Leeds Live (leeds-live.co.uk)

I just don't get why people are hesitant on the price. He can put the ball in the net AND he is a terrific defensive striker. Plenty of teams need guys who can press like he can.

I wonder also whether CFG's reservation price on Taty is in Dollars, Euros or Pounds. Dollars have appreciated a lot since the last transfer window.

Does anyone else think our acquisition activity and even rumors are surprisingly inactive given the roster losses since last summer? Here's how I think of it:
DeparturesIncomingInjured Long TermNew Kids
Castellanos
Ibeagha
Medina
Rocha
Sands
Shradi
Thorarinsson
Haak
Heber

Martins
Pereira
Santi
Parks
Tinnerholm
Benalcazar
Jiminez
McFarlane
O'Toole
Owusu

The New Kids don't really replace anyone until sometimes eventually they do, so they're off on the side. IMO Haak just graduated from the Kids pool, and Heber recently switched from Injured to Incoming for purposes of this analysis. Regardless of quality or position, we're down seven players, and have, generously counted, 5 replacements, and really just 3. The 2 long term injured are hard to replace given roster rules, but you might choose a replacement for one of the departures to fill a need generated by injury. I'm not counting Mitrita as he effectively left in 2020. Also I realize there are other kids who might be higher on the depth chart. The ones listed are those signed since last summer and I was just trying to account for all recent acquisitions.

Lining up departures with similar-ish replacements I would suggest:
CastellanosHeber
IbeaghaMartins
MedinaSanti
RochaHaak
Sands
ShradiPereira
Thorarinsson

I'm not suggesting equal value just the most like for like in terms of field role. Some of those are at least arbitrary like how to allocate Santi and Pereira to Medina and Shradi. And Heber and Haak are not actually new to the roster. They've been hitting our cap all the while so we really should have about 4 spots open, depending on how you allocate cash, HG allowances Garber Bucks, etc. Yet things are very quiet. There's 2.5 weeks left in the window (August 5). We could see a flurry, and I understand maybe we wanted to wait to resolve Taty's transfer out. But I really thought we'd see at least some smaller pieces incoming by now. Am I missing anyone or misreading the situation?

Last edited:
Does anyone else think our acquisition activity and even rumors are surprisingly inactive given the roster losses since last summer? Here's how I think of it:
Castellanos
Ibeagha
Medina
Rocha
Sands
Shradi
Thorarinsson
Haak
Heber

Martins
Pereira
Santi
Parks
Tinnerholm
Benalcazar
Jiminez
McFarlane
O'Toole
Owusu

The New Kids don't really replace anyone until sometimes eventually they do, so they're off on the side. IMO Haak just graduated from the Kids pool, and Heber recently switched from Injured to Incoming. Regardless of quality or position, we're down seven players, and have, generously counted, 5 replacements, and really just 3. The 2 long term injured are hard to replace given roster rules, but you might choose a replacement for one of the departures to fill a need generated by injury. I'm not counting Mitrita as he effectively left in 2020. Also I realize there are other kids who might be higher on the depth chart. The ones listed are those signed since last summer and I was just trying to account for all recent acquisitions.

CastellanosHeber
IbeaghaMartins
MedinaSanti
RochaHaak
Sands
ShradiPereira
Thorarinsson

I'm not suggesting equal value just the most like for like in terms of field role. Some of those are at least arbitrary like how to allocate Santi and Pereira to Medina and Shradi. And Heber and Haak are not actually new to the roster. They've been hitting our cap all the while so we really should have about 4 spots open, depending on how you allocate cash, HG allowances Garber Bucks, etc. Yet things are very quiet. There's 2.5 weeks left in the window (August 5). We could see a flurry, and I understand maybe we wanted to wait to resolve Taty's transfer out. But I really thought we'd see at least some smaller pieces incoming by now. Am I missing anyone or misreading the situation?

I like the way you laid it out and it resulted in the same glaring hole I've been thinking about for a while, we never replaced Sands. I guess you could say Keaton coming back was the assumed replacement but then we should have had a backup type signing for Keaton.

I don't see Golster, you could argue the team saw him as the Thorarinsson replacement as an offseason graduate from the kids category.

For the Taty spot a few months ago based on some Ronny comments I thought Magno was the planned replacement but he hasn't been slid into that center position in months. If that's no longer the plan we need someone. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of an older mercenary-type striker to help fill that spot. I've seen Suarez floated a few times as an option and I'm starting to like that idea as we don't have time to slowly integrate another young prospect-type striker and still compete for the cup.

I like the way you laid it out and it resulted in the same glaring hole I've been thinking about for a while, we never replaced Sands. I guess you could say Keaton coming back was the assumed replacement but then we should have had a backup type signing for Keaton.

I don't see Golster, you could argue the team saw him as the Thorarinsson replacement as an offseason graduate from the kids category.

For the Taty spot a few months ago based on some Ronny comments I thought Magno was the planned replacement but he hasn't been slid into that center position in months. If that's no longer the plan we need someone. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of an older mercenary-type striker to help fill that spot. I've seen Suarez floated a few times as an option and I'm starting to like that idea as we don't have time to slowly integrate another young prospect-type striker and still compete for the cup.
You're right about Magno. I kind of mixed concepts above. My main point was just replacing bodies - number for number. Since Talles and Thiago Andrade came in before all of the above departures, I figure we can have at least that many players - as of say June 2021 after Talles came and before Ibby left. Maybe I'm wrong and we squeezed a couple in with a short term overload. I don't really know for sure.
So Talles is the primary Taty replacement (at least so far) in terms of his role, but when considering roster slots, he doesn't replace any of the people who left after he showed up. Make sense?

Reactions: gbservis
Castellanos
Ibeagha
Medina
Rocha
Sands
Shradi
Thorarinsson
Haak
Heber

Martins
Pereira
Santi
Parks
Tinnerholm
Benalcazar
Jiminez
McFarlane
O'Toole
Owusu

The New Kids don't really replace anyone until sometimes eventually they do, so they're off on the side. IMO Haak just graduated from the Kids pool, and Heber recently switched from Injured to Incoming. Regardless of quality or position, we're down seven players, and have, generously counted, 5 replacements, and really just 3. The 2 long term injured are hard to replace given roster rules, but you might choose a replacement for one of the departures to fill a need generated by injury. I'm not counting Mitrita as he effectively left in 2020. Also I realize there are other kids who might be higher on the depth chart. The ones listed are those signed since last summer and I was just trying to account for all recent acquisitions.

CastellanosHeber
IbeaghaMartins
MedinaSanti
RochaHaak
Sands
ShradiPereira
Thorarinsson

Good analysis. However, I would align Haak with Sands in the second chart and remove Rocha from the list. With all respect to Rocha, his position on the team was as a second level backup. I believe the team saw Haak as the natural replacement for Sands - a homegrown that could grow into a midfielder in the regular 11. Whether he is on pace for that is up for debate, but his development history and ceiling are a better match for Sands than Rocha.

If you accept the above, a backup left back might be the only roster slot that the team did not replace effectively...depending on one's Gloster assessment. Heber and Haak may be downgrades for their matches, but Martins, Pereira and Santi are upgrades for theirs.

The interesting question for the team will be what to do assuming Taty departs. I could see one of two options:

1) A forward (a 9, or wing if Magno moves inside) would be a like for like - but I would see that as a long term move if they take this path. A forward would allow Santi to move to the 10 when Maxi retires and balance the roster for 2023.

2) Left back/wingback/defensive midfield hybrid. This would fit the pattern of the chart and might be more important for 2022. Parks may be out for the season, and Tinnerholm is still in the middle of his recovery.

I am split as to my preference. I would, however, hope they add someone before the window closes.

I just don't get why people are hesitant on the price. He can put the ball in the net AND he is a terrific defensive striker. Plenty of teams need guys who can press like he can.

I wonder also whether CFG's reservation price on Taty is in Dollars, Euros or Pounds. Dollars have appreciated a lot since the last transfer window.
Definitely, it's almost one-for-one now. So, figure the April €12 million Transfermarkt valuation and the current $13.2 million forward transfer valuation to be the floor, and his real value to be somewhere a little north of that ($15 million is certainly not unreasonable).

There's a lot we don't know, of course. It could be a club was willing to meet the transfer fee and the problem was elsewhere in the terms. The devil is always in the details. And there's no denying he's a bit of a maniac -- although in a good way -- and maybe not to everyone's taste.

The only thing we know for sure is the organization was not going to let him go at a discount, even a small one. CFG wanted to keep him, and if someone was going to pry him away it would have to be for their price, end of story. After all, he was a €75,000 acquisition by Torque and his transfer fee to NYCFC was just €425,000; any of the numbers getting thrown around would have been a huge profit. If it was just money, the money was probably there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabo
I think Alfredo is stepping into the Sands replacement role which he wasn't in last year. He's the guy playing the 6, but also occasionally dropping into the center of a back 3, or just splitting the center backs during build up.

Don't think he's as good of a progressive passer as Sands, but I think Alfredo's role this year is different than last year, and he's starting to step into that Sands role now.

Castellanos
Ibeagha
Medina
Rocha
Sands
Shradi
Thorarinsson
Haak
Heber

Martins
Pereira
Santi
Parks
Tinnerholm
Benalcazar
Jiminez
McFarlane
O'Toole
Owusu

CastellanosHeber
IbeaghaMartins
MedinaSanti
RochaHaak
Sands
ShradiPereira
Thorarinsson

I mainly like that other than Castellanos -> Heber, the other four replacements are all pretty clear upgrades

Reactions: JCMore
I think that might have been subconsciously why I paired Haak with Rocha instead of Sands - Brooklyn Blue Brooklyn Blue made a good point.
I just checked the team site and they have Haak listed as a midfielder, so that's fair, but my brain has him as an outside back (whether or not that has any basis in reality/history/playing time) and not a dmid.

I think Castellanos/Heber is the least applicable to the "replacement" framework - I'm not going to credit the FO for a good job upgrading RB if/when Tinnerholm ever comes back. Whomever/Haak is more applicable because we still had to acquire and develop someone even if we didn't know who at the time. The FO should get credit for that. And the other three are all clear cut "go out and make the roster better" moves.

Mainly, just want people to remember it's pretty hard to be unhappy with the sporting side of things.

Acevedo has NOT been good
Gray has NOT been good

We are now without Parks and Castellanos. Probably our two best players.

Reactions: Brooklyn Blue
Wasn't sure If I should just post this here or in the Media thread;

On my was back from lunch caught Roberto Abramowitz on The United States of Soccer with Jason Davis. He seemed to think we're more likely to go with Heber as our number one forward and look to sign someone younger who can be brought along like Taty was. He does think we might look for someone to fill in for Keaton. Talked stadium a bit but nothing new.

Gray has NOT been good

if not for injury, parks is the stone cold starter. no one could have predicted parks would have a 2nd clot. acevedo was a decent backup for parks. we also have zel and haak. i'd personally prefer haak starting over acevedo for sheer fact that he plays simpler and is faster/covers more ground, which is something we need in midfield. the downside is we lose some passing range.

it's a shame zel has not improved to the level that would make him #2 behind Parks. but i guess those injuries stunted his growth.

Gray - i still don't know how he's a pro. Love his attitude, works hard, and has a lot to learn for positioning etc (expected considering his age), but his quality is severely lacking when it comes to putting in crosses, which is his primary job as a wing back. Kinda hoping bencalzar (sp?) from the II squad replaces him at some point

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
Gray has NOT been good

The only thing I will say about Gray, is that he is ELITE in his 1v1 defending. He's very very good there.

His offensive contributions however, are equally as bad.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
The only thing I will say about Gray, is that he is ELITE in his 1v1 defending. He's very very good there.

His offensive contributions however, are equally as bad.

I trust that your data says that. You know this shit better than anyone. And the eye test makes me beleive that when he is very close to someone, he is good at a toe poke.

But my eye test is that he's not a good defender in open space. He's slow and can't stay in front. Again, probably a small CB like Shay Facey

Reactions: moogoo