2022 Roster Discussion

I’d prefer a Taty type player than a Suarez at the end of his career type player. We’re 1 for 3 (Villa, Lampard and Pirlo) on those but have done well with scouting young talent to develop further.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
I’d prefer a Taty type player than a Suarez at the end of his career type player. We’re 1 for 3 (Villa, Lampard and Pirlo) on those but have done well with scouting young talent to develop further.
I mean, we've also had a bunch of youngen strikers who didn't work out... Okoli being one of them.

Reactions: Kjbert
How many times has Heber started 30 games in a season in his career?

How many times has he been injured less than two times in a season?

you can work on positional sense. you can improve in speed and agility. athletes do it all the time. but he's gotten to this point doing what he does and no one has corrected him or made him work on improving his running gait and balance. leaves me thinking if i'm the only one who thinks it's bad? he just seems very uncoordinated to me and lacking in balance.

also, he doesn't seem to strike the ball very well. it's like he's whacking the ball with a club and it goes where it goes, instead of picking a spot and putting it there, as a pro should.
Thought you and K Kjbert would get a kick out of this, M moogoo -- needless to say, it's quite a different perspective on Young Mister Gray. :laughing:

By the way, I once played with a guy kind of like him. His feet stuck out in opposite directions too, and he had the same funky gait and kind of awkward-looking running style, especially when he changed directions. It was all legs and arms flailing and shoulders rocking but his head didn't move. You could not get around him.

This is pretty much my exact take. I get far more upset when Santi or Cacha or Malte coughs it up than when Gray does.
Yeah. Gray is a special case for the reasons I laid out, but generally life’s too short to spend time cataloging the limitations of roster slots 15-28 in a salary capped league.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
I mean, we've also had a bunch of youngen strikers who didn't work out... Okoli being one of them.
Okoli, Mindoza, Lewis, Shelton, Mullins, Medina to an extent, Poku. I’m sure there’s more.
For every Taty you will probably get three or four Okolis. For every maxi, you’ll get 1 or 2 mitritas. For every Villa you hope to get only 1 Pirlo. The goal is to limit your Okolis, Mitritas, and Pirlos.

You could not get around him.

I wouldn't care about his gait and running style if it didn't seem like it caused him to lose his balance a lot (which could just be coincidence, I know). And if he was pinging balls in with any decent consistency and accuracy. I wouldn't care. But his gait and visually uncoordinated movements in addition to what seems like an inability to strike a ball cleanly ... eh. i dunno.

He can improve these things with guidance and training. But it doesn't seem like something that he is working on from my point of view.

Okoli, Mindoza, Lewis, Shelton, Mullins, Medina to an extent, Poku. I’m sure there’s more.
For every Taty you will probably get three or four Okolis. For every maxi, you’ll get 1 or 2 mitritas. For every Villa you hope to get only 1 Pirlo. The goal is to limit your Okolis, Mitritas, and Pirlos.

We can't forget Nemec and we could probably add Mackay-Stevens as well.

After Villa, Lampard and Pirlo, the club definitely decided on a different strategy with designated players and that was to only sign DPs whose last name begins with the letter “M.”

Moralez
Medina
Mitrita
Magno/Martins (take your pick)
Martins again

This really needs to be considered more when discussing potential new signings.

After Villa, Lampard and Pirlo, the club definitely decided on a different strategy with designated players and that was to only sign DPs whose last name begins with the letter “M.”

Moralez
Medina
Mitrita
Martins again

They were playing the long game with the planned culmination being Messi only to be foiled by PSG.

Moralez
Medina
Mitrita
Martins again

"Give me your Thiagos, your M's, your Brazilian ballers yearning to breathe free . . . "

Looks like the put in a bid for a Colombian attacking midfielder who plays in gremio. I believe conversion from 14M Brazilian real toUSD is about 2.5M.

Yep, that's about right. Just under $2.6 million, which looks to be a bit of a bargain. Interesting move.

Not that I’m upset about another potential attacking midfielder but it seems like we need more of an 8/6 hybrid instead of a 10/11 type signing
Edit: great minds think a like Davo15 Davo15
I'm not sure the idea would be so much replacing Taty as much as providing insurance in case Héber goes down. Which, let's be honest, seems to happen a heck of a lot.

That's what I'd be thinking, anyway.

maxi replacement. Santi loan is up at the end of season and I think maxi only got one year extension? I could be wrong there

It’s great to think long term but with maxi still here hopefully to the end of the season I’d rather replace one of the guys who aren’t first .

Reactions: Kjbert
maxi replacement. Santi loan is up at the end of season and I think maxi only got one year extension? I could be wrong there
Maxi's extension was 1 year with an option for 2023. It does not says whose option, but I think in MLS it is a club option unless specified usually.