2022 Roster Discussion

Don’t think he’s worth $400k GAM given his availability and streakiness.

no but lafc was willing to pay it. Did they feel fleeced in the ibheaga trade? That’s why they got Isi thru trade with Charlotte instead of us?

Reactions: Kjbert
im kinda pissed we lose him for 50k and Charlotte gets 400k
Yeah, is it wrong to look at this as criminal? Seems like a major flaw in the draft. This isn’t a player out of college being traded, this a player that a club has invested in over years and gets 50k while a team that has zero dollars invested flips him for 400k.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah, is it wrong to look at this as criminal? Seems like a major flaw in the draft. This isn’t a player out of college being traded, this a player that a club has invested in over years and gets 50k while a team that has zero dollars invested flips him for 400k.
We decided that Barazza was a better option to keep.

Maybe they wanted to dump his salary.

We decided that Barazza was a better option to keep.

Maybe they wanted to dump his salary.
I get maybe wanting to dump the salary but again, why does Charlotte benefit? In my simple mind, the point of the expansion draft is to fill out the roster of a new club with a certain level of MLS talent not completely screw over established teams. I mean NYCFC got screwed.

Last edited:
no but lafc was willing to pay it. Did they feel fleeced in the ibheaga trade? That’s why they got Isi thru trade with Charlotte instead of us?
People -- not just you -- are seriously overthinking this. Why would this have anything to do with Ibeagha? Why would LAFC make personnel decisions out of spite or revenge? Maybe we didn't want to sell him so they went around us. Maybe we made a mistake in leaving him unprotected. Maybe we had bad intel. Maybe someone lied to us. Maybe we thought he is overpaid. Maybe LAFC thinks we can use $400k to become more of a juggernaut while Charlotte at worst becomes mediocre so better to give the money to them. Maybe David Lee was distracted by the playoff run. Maybe he thinks, as I do, that Isi is a really nice guy who had an amazing half season when he first arrived and since then has been remarkably unreliable, who is too often unavailable and tends to score 7 goals in 11 games then none for an entire half season over 4 months. He did nothing to help us avoid our slump and nothing to help get out of it, and this isn’t the first time he’s been streaky like that.

People are acting as if everyone had perfect foresight in advance and there was some clear way to avoid this, while assuming we wanted to avoid this. It's an expansion draft. Shit happens. Sometimes it is unexpected. Someone has to lose players in the draft. We've been spared more than once. This year it happened to us. I agree the compensation is inadequate. Actually, I was the first person to say so. But it is what it is.

Last edited:
We went from debating whether the team gets a pass on criticism for just 1 year or five years, to bitching about how we didn't prevent something that was literally not in our control less than 48 hours later.

Exactly. We just won MLS Cup, of course someone was getting taken off our roster.

Isi was a guy who wanted to start but wasn’t consistent enough and also didn’t put enough defensive work in. (Example: Philly scored their goal in the playoffs because Isi didn’t pressure Gazdag and gave him all day to whip in the cross).

I loved the bangers that he scored and how he took people on and he was a good change of pace sub. But he went very cold at times and was not a starter.

it could have been Amundsen or Tinnerholm. Isi can be replaced with a new signing and/or young players maturing. Sucks but it was pretty clear that NYCFC was going to lose someone. And as others have pointed out, now we are exempt from this for the next one.

People -- not just you -- are seriously overthinking this. Why would this have anything to do with Ibeagha? Why would LAFC make personnel decisions out of spite or revenge? Maybe we didn't want to sell him so they went around us. Maybe we made a mistake in leaving him unprotected. Maybe we had bad intel. Maybe someone lied to us. Maybe we thought he is overpaid. Maybe LAFC thinks we can use $400k to become more of a juggernaut while Charlotte at worst becomes mediocre so better to give the money to them. Maybe David Lee was distracted by the playoff run. Maybe he thinks, as I do, that Isi is a really nice guy who had an amazing half season when he first arrived and since then has been remarkably unreliable, who is too often unavailable and tends to score 7 goals in 11 games then none for an entire half season over 4 months. He did nothing to help us avoid our slump and nothing to help get out of it, and this isn’t the first time he’s been streaky like that.

People are acting as if everyone had perfect foresight in advance and there was some clear way to avoid this, while assuming we wanted to avoid this. It's an expansion draft. Shit happens. Sometimes it is unexpected. Someone has to lose players in the draft. We've been spared more than once. This year it happened to us. I agree the compensation is inadequate. Actually, I was the first person to say so. But it is what it is.

i don’t have an issue losing someone it’s more losing him and getting a small compensation and Charlotte getting much more. Losing him to Charlotte was expected but not charlotte getting 400k out of it.
At this rate it is what it is as you say.

Last edited: