2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With GP leaving, can anyone give me a good reason to watch the rest of the season beyond “a sense of duty”?
sue makes stuff GIF

We all said after 2021 the team earned the right to be as bad as they wanted to be in 2022. Then 2022 they marched right back to the conference finals.

This year is their mulligan.

I'll keep going to matches even as they tank the next few months. I'll keep cheering no matter how bad they get. I will. Not. Boo. Just don't believe in it, but also, mulligan.

The real clock starts next February.

What makes anyone think 2024 is going to be significantly different than 2023?
2016-2022
Gotta clear that roster space for Neymar, right?

It's times like these I'm glad the rest of my life isn't as shit as NYCFC right now or this season would really be getting me down!
Or at least clear out jersey number 11.
Not gonna lie, if I was young, rich, single, Qatar would be pretty far down on my list of places I'd like to live.
Funny enough, the same is true now that I am old and married.

We all said after 2021 the team earned the right to be as bad as they wanted to be in 2022. Then 2022 they marched right back to the conference finals.

This year is their mulligan.

I'll keep going to matches even as they tank the next few months. I'll keep cheering no matter how bad they get. I will. Not. Boo. Just don't believe in it, but also, mulligan.

The real clock starts next February.
I never said that. I never understood that sentiment. 2021 was a minor miracle and Lee was given too much credit. I don’t think there is any good reason this organization should be such a shitshow in 2023.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
The Club lately has been showing that it is not well prepared for the unexpected. Ronny leaves, and they don’t really seem to have a plan. Talles doesn’t work out at the 9, there’s no other reasonable option. They miss on a guy, there’s no backup.

Well run clubs have a contingency ready for anything. A list of coaching options that they keep current. Lists of players, etc. When something happens you need to move quickly. Top teams don’t have the luxury of taking time to react.

Let’s see if they have a plan for this one.

I never said that. I never understood that sentiment. 2021 was a minor miracle and Lee was given too much credit. I don’t think there is any good reason this organization should be such a shitshow in 2023.
The reason some decided to give a mulligan is 70% of the fanbase wanted everyone fired in September-October of 2021 and maybe we can have a little humilty and grace.

As for Lee's credit, he hired the Cup winning manager, and among others, acquired:
  • Santi (playoff goal vs Revs)
  • Morales (hit very first first shootout PK v Revs)
  • Talles (game-winner against the Union, PK v Portland)
  • Thiago (PK v Revs, stole win against DC in June)
  • Thorarinsson (free kick v Atlanta saved season, assist to Talles v Union)

You really think he gets too much credit for all that? I think we don't win MLS Cup without these people and David Lee got them.

Last edited:
The reason some decided to give a mulligan is 70% of the fanbase wanted everyone fired in September-October of 2021 and maybe we can have a little humilty and grace.

As for Lee's credit, he hired the Cup winning manager, and among others, acquired:
  • Santi (playoff goal vs Revs)
  • Morales (hit very first first shootout PK v Revs)
  • Talles (game-winner against the Union, PK v Portland)
  • Thiago (PK v Revs, stole win against DC in June)
  • Thorarinsson (free kick v Atlanta saved season, assist to Talles v Union)

You really think he gets too much credit for all that? I think we don't win MLS Cup without these people and David Lee got them.
Yes, players he signed did what they were supposed to do at times and the team ended up winning the cup. It was awesome, the drama was crazy. Give Lee some credit.
I stand by “too much credit.”

It’s not like Lee built that team on his own over time and they bossed the league and won the supporters shield and the cup.

It’s fine that other people see it differently.

It’s cute to call giving a season long “mulligan” to a sporting director humility and grace.

You might also say that without COVID protocol we don’t win MLS cup.

Reactions: Kjbert
What a disaster this is. Qatar makes absolutely no sense aside from the stupid money they have and are throwing around. Good for Gabi that he's going to get paid, but damn. This is a disaster. Especially in the middle of the season like this.