2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So many people have called for Lee's head. So hard to tell from the outside what moves and non-moves are on him vs the CFG machine. They really have made many very shrewd decisions. The lack of players signed this past winter and no players lined up and ready to roll the beginning of this window seems really odd in contrast.

Even with all the unknowns about who is calling the shots I think it's fair to pin the lack of urgency on Lee. CFG can dictate who we are allowed to go after, but Lee needs to push them to get it done in a time frame that's best for NYCFC. When Claudio was here you could see some of CFG dysfunction with new players arriving very late into training camp or at the end of transfer windows but the team under Claudio never left a transfer window with massive gaps in the roster. Every organization has constraints and a leader within an organization needs to find a way to operate within those constraints to accomplish their objectives. Lees job is to build a roster that can compete and this season he's built a completely dysfunctional mess with obvious holes that even the most casual soccer fan can see.

Reactions: JohnB
just seems like they gambled on this year's roster and lost. Whether or not Nick was apart of that decision, who knows. Trading Heber was a good decision, but moving Thiago on with no replacement is puzzling. Was he that disruptive in the locker room?

Lack of signings being announced in quick succession this window is a bit perplexing considering the situation we're in. So far, two decent signings with potential. But we need more. Especially if turnbull is getting starts :/

Saw on Twitter apparently someone else we were after (don’t have a name or position) that deal fell through. Ugh.

Saw on Twitter apparently someone else we were after (don’t have a name or position) that deal fell through. Ugh.

All these people on Twitter that claim to know something, don't give details, then are proven wrong are all bullshit artists. When a real reporter says something, I'll believe it. Until then, these are all just wannabes with no clue what they're talking about.

"I know something. It's super exciting. I can't tell you what it is. But I was told something and I promised I wouldn't say anything. So instead I'm just hinting that something is happening and it's exciting."

"That thing I knew that I couldn't tell you, I still can't tell you. But it's not happening. Oopsie. My bad."

Leave it to the real reporters, kids. If you really knew something, you'd report it. Until that happens, just shut up and go get mommy and daddy to tell you how special you are.

All these people on Twitter that claim to know something, don't give details, then are proven wrong are all bullshit artists. When a real reporter says something, I'll believe it. Until then, these are all just wannabes with no clue what they're talking about.

"I know something. It's super exciting. I can't tell you what it is. But I was told something and I promised I wouldn't say anything. So instead I'm just hinting that something is happening and it's exciting."

"That thing I knew that I couldn't tell you, I still can't tell you. But it's not happening. Oopsie. My bad."

Leave it to the real reporters, kids. If you really knew something, you'd report it. Until that happens, just shut up and go get mommy and daddy to tell you how special you are.
Hell, if Tom Bogert reported that NYCFC had a failed deal but he would not name the player or even position i would consider it not worth repeating.
What does it even mean? David Lee made an initial inquiry and the player or team said no?

Reactions: Kjbert
Hell, if Tom Bogert reported that NYCFC had a failed deal but he would not name the player or even position i would consider it not worth repeating.
What does it even mean? David Lee made an initial inquiry and the player or team said no?

Tom Bogert wouldn't do that. he would report complete information. Because that's what professional reporters do, not these chuckleheads who think they're reporters because they have a Twitter account and 1,000 followers.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene

Speaking of South American transfers that wouldn't be popular AND Tom Bogert

MY JOKE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO COME TRUE!!! :( :( :( :(

seriously wtf? why would they want to send gabby off? it's not like he's going to europe so it's not a destination HE wants to go to. this is bullshit if true.

is he a problem in the locker room too? and if all our young south american talent are having issues with nick, um.... i think the problem might be nick?

Reactions: Kjbert and SThorp
WHAT ARE THEY DOING
Whatever the players want. I believe the closest we ever came to saying no to a player who wanted to leave was asking Taty to wait until midseason last year, and even then they explained why and asked him to buy into the plan, which worked out for both, with a bit of a mild detour.

Nashville said no to a ~$7M bid for Mukhtar, and I can't find an article that says whether Mukhtar is content or unhappy about that.

I think David Lee has a tougher job than Reyna did. We did not have nearly as many developmental players looking to move all the time and often midseason while Reyna was here.

MY JOKE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO COME TRUE!!! :( :( :( :(

seriously wtf? why would they want to send gabby off? it's not like he's going to europe so it's not a destination HE wants to go to. this is bullshit if true.

is he a problem in the locker room too? and if all our young south american talent are having issues with nick, um.... i think the problem might be nick?
I don’t subscribe to the athletic, does the article mention his salary after the move?

Obviously the club can block the transfer and wait until January, but if he’s chasing a bag of money I’ll never judge someone trying to set up massive wealth for himself and family.

If Gabby wants out the club is always player friendly, as is all of CFG.

This sucks. Big time. But what can you do…

Reactions: Kenny
Whatever the players want. I believe the closest we ever came to saying no to a player who wanted to leave was asking Taty to wait until midseason last year, and even then they explained why and asked him to buy into the plan, which worked out for both, with a bit of a mild detour.

Nashville said no to a ~$7M bid for Mukhtar, and I can't find an article that says whether Mukhtar is content or unhappy about that.

I think David Lee has a tougher job than Reyna did. We did not have nearly as many developmental players looking to move all the time and often midseason while Reyna was here.
And in general I agree with the club's approach, I think it creates an environment of trust and support and that's attractive to prospective incoming players. Players do talk to each other.

That said.... if they have no replacement lined up for this window then FUCK THEM

seriously wtf? why would they want to send gabby off? it's not like he's going to europe so it's not a destination HE wants to go to. this is bullshit if true. is he a problem in the locker room too? and if all our young south american talent are having issues with nick, um.... i think the problem might be nick?

Any reason you don't assume it's just money? I'm assuming it's just money, but admittedly that's an assumption.

My heuristic is (1) it's almost always money, and (2) people infer our coach has lost the locker room almost every season, and it's only been true once, in 2015. Of course it could be true again, but people seem to jump for that conclusion much, much more than is warranted. It's pretty much a void into which we can project our preferred analysis.

I don’t subscribe to the athletic, does the article mention his salary after the move?

Obviously the club can block the transfer and wait until January, but if he’s chasing a bag of money I’ll never judge someone trying to set up massive wealth for himself and family.

If Gabby wants out the club is always player friendly, as is all of CFG.

This sucks. Big time. But what can you do…
No info in the article about his salary or fee paid to NYCFC. It just says he's making $659,500 in guaranteed compensation in 2023 and NYCFC paid >$5M to acquire his contract. I honestly forgot it was that much.

Reactions: twsj91
That said.... if they have no replacement lined up for this window then FUCK THEM
This is my biggest worry.

If this is something that came up last minute the club will be scrambling to line up a deal. Even with all our resources, we know CFG take their time to ensure they dot all their i’s and cross all their t’s. This is not an organization to rush into anything. I find it hard to believe we’re going to be getting a replacement this summer. Or at least a substantial one that contributes like Gabby.

Any reason you don't assume it's just money? I'm assuming it's just money, but admittedly that's an assumption.

My heuristic is (1) it's almost always money, and (2) people infer our coach has lost the locker room almost every season, and it's only been true once, in 2015. Of course it could be true again, but people seem to jump for that conclusion much, much more than is warranted. It's pretty much a void into which we can project our preferred analysis.

it could be money. but i can't see a young player who more than likely is aiming for europe, wanting to go to qatar for money? not saying its definitely not that, but it would be out of the ordinary for such a young and talented player. even if the club wanted the money offered, if gabby didn't want to go he's on contract and doesn't have to go. unless there's some release clause that lets them sell him regardless of what he wants, which is possible since MLS contracts have that player rights waiver in them...