2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

The Outfield mailbag article has a section on why the club only acquires kid attackers, with details from a preseason interview with David Lee:

I'm not going to quote or summarize. Read it for yourself. Nothing really new and the arguments won't change but it's still interesting.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I'm seriously wondering if some NYCFC office worker said it was sorted when it wasn't.

After the whole Lampard thing I don't trust a word our FO says about stuff like this. It could be possible it's not a visa issue at all and that's the story they've come up with.

After the whole Lampard thing I don't trust a word our FO says about stuff like this. It could be possible it's not a visa issue at all and that's the story they've come up with.
It’s even less reliable as we only have anonymous leaks. There has been no official statement. But the Visa story is embarrassing enough I think it might be true.

It’s even less reliable as we only have anonymous leaks. There has been no official statement. But the Visa story is embarrassing enough I think it might be true.

The only other situation I can find where a player started a season and then had to leave due to visa issues is Corey Burke in 2019 for the Union. The issues took so long to resolve that they had to loan him out and he didn't return to the team for 18 months!

The only other situation I can find where a player started a season and then had to leave due to visa issues is Corey Burke in 2019 for the Union. The issues took so long to resolve that they had to loan him out and he didn't return to the team for 18 months!

I didn't know about that. What a fiasco. I hope this isn't similar, but it's Murphy's Law with NYCFC right now.

I was mistaken last night when I said there has been no official statement that Jovan's absence is visa related. Crooks says Cushing mentioned it in a press conference last week.

This tweet perfectly encompasses the NYCFC reporter experience. The biggest signing of the off-season is suddenly back home waiting on a Visa. Does the media press for a projected timeline, No. How about a follow-up question about how this happened, nope. But good news guys they had some obscure conversation about Jovan's long throw-in ability and how it links to a player Cushing coached on a different team over a decade ago.

This tweet perfectly encompasses the NYCFC reporter experience. The biggest signing of the off-season is suddenly back home waiting on a Visa. Does the media press for a projected timeline, No. How about a follow-up question about how this happened, nope. But good news guys they had some obscure conversation about Jovan's long throw-in ability and how it links to a player Cushing coached on a different team over a decade ago.
Well, Trey is a big fan of the women’s game so it kinda makes sense. Perhaps he was trying to use a soft ball question to open Cushing up to start talking about Jovan, before he landed the punch of where the fuck is he.

It's absolutely atrocious. That should have been the first question asked two weeks ago. These guys are clueless.

Reactions: Shwafta
homer simpson GIF

Reactions: JCMore
It's absolutely atrocious. That should have been the first question asked two weeks ago. These guys are clueless.

I think some other people here have been part of press events so they may be able to comment further. Given the complete absence of challenging questions at team press events, I get the feeling that you either ask the questions the team wants to be asked or you stop getting invited and/or called on.

Also, I know he has to but credit to Cushing for going out there and answering questions. Lee hides in his office and releases canned Q&As created by the internal communications team. Imagine a world where missing the playoffs culminated with the coach and the GM sitting side by side answering real questions about what happened the way they do it in other sports:

All or most of his workout footage and photos have been indoors. That all good, but I wonder if it is enough to keep him match fit.

well according to the kid himself, he wasn't even match fit yet and how could he be, playing 10 mins here and there.

if nick wants him match fit quickly, he'll throw the kid into the deep end and make him play a solid 70-80 mins for a few games. but we know that isn't going to happen unless bakrar needs a break.