2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

MLS just made sophomores and juniors draft eligible this year. It does not state how long the club retains the rights. I don't believe there is a standard among other US leagues with drafts. I'm pretty sure Major League Baseball extended it years back because undergrads would announce they were ready for the draft, then threaten to return to college as a contract negotiating tactic. Clubs were pressured to give huge salaries to very unproven players because if they did not, they completely wasted a draft pick. That became somewhat less of a threat if the club retains the rights anyway.

MLS just made sophomores and juniors draft eligible this year. It does not state how long the club retains the rights. I don't believe there is a standard among other US leagues with drafts. I'm pretty sure Major League Baseball extended it years back because undergrads would announce they were ready for the draft, then threaten to return to college as a contract negotiating tactic. Clubs were pressured to give huge salaries to very unproven players because if they did not, they completely wasted a draft pick. That became somewhat less of a threat if the club retains the rights anyway.
I believe it's two years from what has been stated during the SuperDraft show.

I hate posting the kid but he's the only one with rumors about the club so far. Keaton becoming more TAM.
Assuming this is true and this is Maxi's last year, Keaton is now on 152 appearances, 40ish behind Callens, Maxi, Chanot, Johnson. By the end of this season (assuming maxi plays minimal games) He will be caught up assuming leagues cup. He'll be our top appearance maker in two years, if he plays most matches. Amazing!

Longest serving he'd need another 2-3 years to overtake Chanot.

Some people wonder why foreign players sign in MLS knowing they can end up playing somewhere completely different from the city they signed with.
This guy reportedly signs with CFG and doesn't know what continent he'll be on to start!

I know getting a contract with CFG is a big deal but it's wild anyone would agree to sign a contract without information on where they would be playing. Imagine taking a job with a company that wont tell you where in the world they are sending you and the quality of the location you will be working at. It's hard to believe this is true.

Also a 22 year old with 4 appearances, 0 goals, and 0 assists for their current club seems like just the type of "difference maker" Lee loves to sign so I would not be surprised at all to see this guy be one of those attacking players Lee said he plans to sign to turn things around.

Some people wonder why foreign players sign in MLS knowing they can end up playing somewhere completely different from the city they signed with.
This guy reportedly signs with CFG and doesn't know what continent he'll be on to start!
From what we learned from the Lampard fiasco, no player can sign with CFG. So, no idea what this really means.

From what we learned from the Lampard fiasco, no player can sign with CFG. So, no idea what this really means.
You can (and I think Lampard did), but it's not an official FIFA player contract. But it could set the terms of an official player contract to be executed later.
My guess is either that is what happened here, or it could just be a non-binding understanding between CFG and this guys's representatives. I also expect they have discussed destinations and probably narrowed it down to 2 or 3.
Assuming there is anything to this at all.

You can (and I think Lampard did), but it's not an official FIFA player contract. But it could set the terms of an official player contract to be executed later.
My guess is either that is what happened here, or it could just be a non-binding understanding between CFG and this guys's representatives. I also expect they have discussed destinations and probably narrowed it down to 2 or 3.
Well, it's not a "real" contract like for a team.

Or he has officially signed for Manchester City and will be loaned out to a club to be determined.

Back