American billionaire’s plan to revolutionise football

The PL's new TV deal changes the entire football landscape. This graphic is from a few years ago (and doesn't take into account the new TV deal), but the numbers are still staggering. PL clubs don't need to break away and form a super league . . . they're already playing in one.

La Liga has to get its act together and start revenue sharing since RM and Barca negotiate their own TV deals.

http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2...-and-distribution-in-the-top-european-leagues
2wh03ds.0.jpg

Reactions: FootyLovin
The PL's new TV deal changes the entire football landscape. This graphic is from a few years ago (and doesn't take into account the new TV deal), but the numbers are still staggering. PL clubs don't need to break away and form a super league . . . they're already playing in one.

La Liga has to get its act together and start revenue sharing since RM and Barca negotiate their own TV deals.

http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2...-and-distribution-in-the-top-european-leagues
View attachment 4254
Wow that Bundesliga TV $ is low

View attachment 4254

thats highly unlikely, barca and RM wont want to let go of their power and also as long as they keep doing well in champions league they may not care about the rest.

i think i read the majority of their games are OTA.

thats highly unlikely, barca and RM wont want to let go of their power and also as long as they keep doing well in champions league they may not care about the rest.

La Liga have already agreed to share the TV money more equally, Real and Barca will receive roughly the same as they did under the old deal and the rest of the league will get more from the new €1.5bn a year domestic and international rights to La Liga. Atletico and Valencia will earn about €30/€35m more than they currently do.

Though next season the team who finishes 1st in the PL will receive €190m and the team who finishes last will get €125m.

i think i read the majority of their games are OTA.

Yeah, a lot of free to air games in Germany and very little competition for the rights drives the price down. The Bundesliga are aiming for a €1bn a season deal after the current contract runs out in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fantazma
First of all, just to say that this idea absolutely sickens me, and is really hurting my relationship with the very sport itself right now. In a few weeks I'll likely have forgotten this even happened, but right now I could just walk away from it all. This whole idea is just disgusting.

It should also be added that there are a lot of mixed reports regarding this - some are claiming it's a replacement for the CL, some a replacement for the PL while the clubs themselves are trying to insist that they were only discussing a pre-season tournament (yeah...right...) My personal suspicion is that they were talking about restructuring the CL, but it's hard to say.

You're missing the point. You're looking at how much English clubs make right now from TV money compared to other teams in the other major European countries, rather than comparing it to the potential earnings of a super-league.

Remember that the PL makes £5.1b in domestic TV money alone over a three years period atm, and that is for an annual competition where only about 200 of 380 games get broadcasted, plus one which contains the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford - the kinds of teams most foreign fans have never even heard of. Sure, they earned their place there, but the TV executives don't care about that, and since what the boards of the major clubs care about is money and those TV executives provide it, the club boards don't care about them either.

Realistically, only games involving the "big five" clubs - in fact, if you wanted to be cynical yet realistic, only games involving United, Liverpool and Arsenal - get the truly huge audiences, and those figures increase exponentially when those teams are playing each other. As far as the TV executives see it, the games between the three major clubs are what earns them most of their money. So they are thinking "well, if we can get £5b domestically alone from 6 games a year, what could happen if we had 380?"

That, therefore, is the plan. If they could engineer a league where only the top three teams played each other all season long while somehow not making it get stale, their TV revenue would likely not drop by much. How better a way to do that than to find 17 other high-prestige clubs from around Europe, thus also forcing their respective countries into the TV thrall. Imagine if they could make Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, etc all pay comparative rates to what the British companies pay for their broadcasting, but all for the same league. You could see clubs making more than half a billion each just from the major European revenue. Then on top of that, your product is simply the only thing that the rest of the world's TV stations are interested in showing, aside from a side line in their own product, so they start pumping cash in too.

The money this kind of competition could produce could end up making the PL looks like a kids' game.

The shortcut to Mancity to win something?
This superleague is the most "plastic" thing in football.

Last time yanks put their "interest" in european sport was with Lance and US Postal.
And now there is a hole of seven years in TdF.

Look at the negative palmares of Charlie Stillitano and ask yourself if this fellow can lead to football improvement, because I don't think so.

The shortcut to Mancity to win something?
This superleague is the most "plastic" thing in football.

Last time yanks put their "interest" in european sport was with Lance and US Postal.
And now there is a hole of seven years in TdF.

Look at the negative palmares of Charlie Stillitano and ask yourself if this fellow can lead to football improvement, because I don't think so.
How is the proposed super league any different than the current champions league in terms of being "plastic"? Same concept, different way of selecting teams.

First of all, just to say that this idea absolutely sickens me, and is really hurting my relationship with the very sport itself right now. In a few weeks I'll likely have forgotten this even happened, but right now I could just walk away from it all. This whole idea is just disgusting.

It should also be added that there are a lot of mixed reports regarding this - some are claiming it's a replacement for the CL, some a replacement for the PL while the clubs themselves are trying to insist that they were only discussing a pre-season tournament (yeah...right...) My personal suspicion is that they were talking about restructuring the CL, but it's hard to say.

You're missing the point. You're looking at how much English clubs make right now from TV money compared to other teams in the other major European countries, rather than comparing it to the potential earnings of a super-league.

Remember that the PL makes £5.1b in domestic TV money alone over a three years period atm, and that is for an annual competition where only about 200 of 380 games get broadcasted, plus one which contains the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford - the kinds of teams most foreign fans have never even heard of. Sure, they earned their place there, but the TV executives don't care about that, and since what the boards of the major clubs care about is money and those TV executives provide it, the club boards don't care about them either.

Realistically, only games involving the "big five" clubs - in fact, if you wanted to be cynical yet realistic, only games involving United, Liverpool and Arsenal - get the truly huge audiences, and those figures increase exponentially when those teams are playing each other. As far as the TV executives see it, the games between the three major clubs are what earns them most of their money. So they are thinking "well, if we can get £5b domestically alone from 6 games a year, what could happen if we had 380?"

That, therefore, is the plan. If they could engineer a league where only the top three teams played each other all season long while somehow not making it get stale, their TV revenue would likely not drop by much. How better a way to do that than to find 17 other high-prestige clubs from around Europe, thus also forcing their respective countries into the TV thrall. Imagine if they could make Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, etc all pay comparative rates to what the British companies pay for their broadcasting, but all for the same league. You could see clubs making more than half a billion each just from the major European revenue. Then on top of that, your product is simply the only thing that the rest of the world's TV stations are interested in showing, aside from a side line in their own product, so they start pumping cash in too.

The money this kind of competition could produce could end up making the PL looks like a kids' game.

Pretty much spot on. I think the euro clubs would be up for it.

Id like to see tv money distributed evenly if this competition ever gets up though so everyone gets a chance.

These are the teams id try and get to form a super league

Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
Man City
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid
PSG
Marseille
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
PSV Eindhoven
Ajax
Porto
Benfica
Galatasaray
Fenerbache
Celtic
Rangers

All big clubs in their respective leagues and big passionate derbies to match.

You could also add teams like schalke/lyon/sporting lisbon/feyenoord/Olympiacos & Panathinakos

Would be great tv to watch.

How is the proposed super league any different than the current champions league in terms of being "plastic"? Same concept, different way of selecting teams.

Well, in european football (for you "soccer") two basic principles have always been respected:
promotion and relegation.
Something that the so called franchises championships don't afford.

That's why I like european home championships, with promotions and relegations.
And that's why I love the european champions and league tourneys.

Now I ask you something:
why has Mancity the right to stay in the so-called superleague (and Mancity has won NOTHING at european level) and Inter Milan (3 Champions, 1 UEFA Cup, 2 Intercontinental Cups and 1 World FIFA Cup wins) has to stay outside the choosen ring?
Discuss, because I find that Stillitano's parameters are quite funny.

Well, in european football (for you "soccer") two basic principles have always been respected:
promotion and relegation.
Something that the so called franchises championships don't afford.

That's why I like european home championships, with promotions and relegations.
And that's why I love the european champions and league tourneys.

Now I ask you something:
why has Mancity the right to stay in the so-called superleague (and Mancity has won NOTHING at european level) and Inter Milan (3 Champions, 1 UEFA Cup, 2 Intercontinental Cups and 1 World FIFA Cup wins) has to stay outside the choosen ring?
Discuss, because I find that Stillitano's parameters are quite funny.

1/ Because whichever teams drive the biggest tv revenue get in. Personally Inter would be in my league.

2/ Promotion and relegation is an antiquated concept that serves no purpose when trying to get as much money as possible. If it was a good concept American sports would have adopted it.

3/ The Europeans have finally caught on that football is no longer a sport but a business, something the Americans figured out long ago. We can all pretend of the romance of it all, but like the sign said in Philadelphia when i went to buy a philly cheesesteak, CASH IS KING.

Last edited:
1/ Because whichever teams drive the biggest tv revenue get in. Personally Inter would be in my league.

In your. Not in Stillitano's short list.

2/ Promotion and relegation is an antiquated concept that serves no purpose when trying to get as much money as possible. If it was a good concept American sports would have adopted it.

This is how actually Europe runs sport. Every discipline, every country. Almost here in Europe.

3/ The Europeans have finally caught on that football is no longer a sport but a business, something the Americans figured out long ago. We can all pretend of the romance of it all, but like the sign said in Philadelphia when i went to buy a philly cheesesteak said, CASH IS KING.

Jeez, we did the seme with cycling, giving all the "business" in the hands of the yanks. Now yanks aren't interested in this mess, and I mean the mess yanks did . Nope, we don't want to repair another fail.

And above it, there is a real possibility of Brexit. That means a more difficult circulation of people.

This is hilarious, just 'big' clubs whining because they arn't as good as teams like Leicester. Probably worried about losing their global fanbase - in particular AC Milan who unlike United/Chelsea have been out of the CL for a few years in a row now.
A bit of a misunderstanding here.

It's not just the big clubs like Manu or Chelsea, it's other big clubs and TV companies that will lose out by having Leicester vs. Barcelona instead of ManU vs. Barca in CL.

3/ The Europeans have finally caught on that football is no longer a sport but a business, something the Americans figured out long ago. We can all pretend of the romance of it all, but like the sign said in Philadelphia when i went to buy a philly cheesesteak, CASH IS KING.

Well enjoy a league with no fans attending, then. It may work in the US, but if they force closed shop competitions on Europe then there will be boycotts across the board, and ultimately the fans will stop coming and will either take up watching their local semi-pro teams instead or will simply give up on the sport. It could even be the making of rugby as a multi-million pound sport.

And above it, there is a real possibility of Brexit. That means a more difficult circulation of people.

Brexit wouldn't change that much, not at this level. Any player who might be able to play in a Super League would be able to meet the Home Office work permit requirements anyway, or at least qualify for special exemption.

Now I ask you something:

Ahem. I agree with your argument, but I feel the need to point out two things here.

Firstly, AC and Inter keeping on finishing outside of the CL places has been cited numerous times as being one of the reasons why clubs are suddenly talking about this - sure, it looks like Liverpool, Chelsea and both of the Manchester clubs (heck, maybe even Arsenal) could finish outside of the top 4 right now, but the reports are that they have had the idea of making the CL a closed shop because AC Milan particularly had previously been trying to persuade them of the same. Trust me, the two Milan clubs are as much a part of this as anyone.

Secondly, Manchester City has won a European trophy - they won the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup in 1970, before Chelsea or Liverpool ever won any of their European trophies and only a single day after Arsenal won their first European trophy. They are hardly the new kids on the block here.

Last edited:
Come on, if it's an actual league, full seasons of Real Madrid, Barcelona, ManU, Chelsea, ManC, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus, Bayern Munich, ect. fans won't be able to resist that.

Bend the knee, Falastur.

Pretty much spot on. I think the euro clubs would be up for it.

Id like to see tv money distributed evenly if this competition ever gets up though so everyone gets a chance.

These are the teams id try and get to form a super league

Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
Man City
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atletico Madrid
PSG
Marseille
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
PSV Eindhoven
Ajax
Porto
Benfica
Galatasaray
Fenerbache
Celtic
Rangers

All big clubs in their respective leagues and big passionate derbies to match.

You could also add teams like schalke/lyon/sporting lisbon/feyenoord/Olympiacos & Panathinakos

Would be great tv to watch.

There's no way Celtic and Rangers would be in there and Spurs wouldn't, also having two from France and two from Holland/Portugal seems unfair when France is so much larger. You'd earn a lot more money from having 3/4 teams from France.

I'd like to see these teams.

England: Spurs, Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool.
Germany: Hertha Berlin, Schalke, Bayern, Dortmund,
Italy: Roma, Inter, AC, Juve, Napoli
France: Marseille, Lyon, PSG,
Spain: Valencia, Atletico, Madrid, Barca

That's 22, add Fener and Gala as well as Ajax and Benfica to bring the total up to 26. Russia's a large enough market to deserve a few teams but I don't see how it would work with their winters.

There would be no salary caps and the TV money wouldn't be distributed equally, why would teams like United, Real, Barca etc agree to that? More likely they share the international TV rights but teams are allowed to keep the TV money made in their home country.

The only thing I don't like is there's hundreds of clubs throughout Europe and this is a big 'fuck you' to 95% of them.

Come on, if it's an actual league, full seasons of Real Madrid, Barcelona, ManU, Chelsea, ManC, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus, Bayern Munich, ect. fans won't be able to resist that.

Bend the knee, Falastur.

Why not? City, for example, already gets higher attendances for domestic league games against lower league teams than they do against the likes of Real, Barca and Bayern. It's not all about quality, otherwise you'd get no fans at all at lower league teams. Some fans - the true fans - really do believe in principles over entertainment. You've also got to remember that European society on the whole is a lot more left-wing than what you are used to in the USA. We may not all be Commies but even our right-of-centre parties tend to have policies at least nominally based around the good of the common people over rampant capitalism. We are simply not used to just shrugging our shoulders and accepting that businesses rule the world.

To be honest, the plastic armchair fans would likely lap it up, so if they can drag themselves away from their TVs and easy access to their football then they'd probably take a few of the now-very-available tickets. You'd struggle to fill the stadia to the same levels, though, and you'd completely lose all atmosphere because the plastic fans are not the type to make any noise. At the end of the day, the core support of each club would abandon ship in droves and that would still ring the death knell for the sport as a spectacle.

It doesn't matter how good the product is, if you know that what you are watching is corrupt to its core and has no regard any more for the common fans - the fans who earnestly believe that their clubs rightfully belong to them as expressions of community spirit, not to the billionaire owners who simply came along with a wad of cash and stole away something which they had no claim to - then the feeling of disenfranchisement and disassociation would be too strong for most core supporters.

Reactions: Keith Putnam