Authentic Jersey

The new Roma jersey does something like that. A very subtle areial image of Rome. Awesome.

AS-Roma-15-16-Away-Kit%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Nike has been doing this recently with college basketball jerseys. The back would have a design for the specific college.

ff_676565_xl.jpg.png

Thing is, the sponsors probably put money down to demand the opposite - that clubs not offer to sell shirts that don't have their names on them. If I'm paying tens of millions a year in sponsorship then I darned well want every single replica to have my company name on it and screw the fans if they think differently.
No doubt, which I why I said I would pay a premium. It's probably not nearly enough, but there is a price at which it makes sense.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
A little research and I can answer my own question. Roma has been without a sponsor for a few years now. It seems they are asking for a lot of money and would rather get none than lock themselves into a low rate. Plus they want to sell a combined package of shirt sponsor, stadium name, and maybe more. Until something changes it makes for some stunning looks.
That's idiotic. Sell sponsorships one year at a time!

A bad jersey sponsor logo will absolutely keep me from buying a jersey even from my favorite teams. Fortunately I find the Etihad logo reasonably tolerable.
Agreed. At least the colors match well and it isn't a slap on sticker look of a sponsor. The first Dallas advocare ones were rough, got to look integrated into the design

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
We'll never not have Etihad Airways.
I do wonder if Etihad and the UAE tourism board* or whatever has noticed an actual uptick in business that they can correlate with brand awareness due to football sponsorship / naming rights. Or is it more a case of "well, CFG is one of our family's businesses and Etihad is another family business, so put them together"?

*I realize that Etihad's European and American customer base is more about business travel than leisure, but you get my point.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I do wonder if Etihad and the UAE tourism board* or whatever has noticed an actual uptick in business that they can correlate with brand awareness due to football sponsorship / naming rights. Or is it more a case of "well, CFG is one of our family's businesses and Etihad is another family business, so put them together"?

*I realize that Etihad's European and American customer base is more about business travel than leisure, but you get my point.
I think it is this: When you have so much money there is nothing else to buy you realize there are actually still two things to buy.

1. Sports teams.
2. Governments.

They like soccer. So they bought a few teams. It's what people with that level of wealth do. I would bet the house that as a marketing strategy they could do much better for the money spent.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I would bet the house that as a marketing strategy they could do much better for the money spent.
As a marketing strategy to make Etihad Airlines money, sure. But the middle-eastern football ownership/sponsorship trend isn't about making money (or if money is made, that's a nice corollary). It's about status, with football team ownership as basically a trophy, and, more importantly, it's positive branding for the nations involved.

Participating in high-profile world football is a very shrewd strategy to make the rest of the world have positive associations with, for example, Qatar and the UAE. Image improvement draws foreign investment and starts building up cultural capital for nations that want to push their image beyond being oppressive, petrodollar kingdoms largely defined by either their perceived antipathy towards or alliances with Euro-American powers.

In *that* sense, I think it's a very smart use of marketing dollars.

It could definitely be worse...
roberto-soldado-getafe-malaga-burger-king-celebracion-gol.jpg

Clearly you never heard what was on the inside of this shirt:

1247760435_extras_albumes_0.jpg

No doubt, which I why I said I would pay a premium. It's probably not nearly enough, but there is a price at which it makes sense.

Only if thousands of other fans were like-minded, and I doubt that happening.

The etihad logo has changed for next season.the airways, has changed font,as on the new man city kits

It's hardly a big change, though.

As a marketing strategy to make Etihad Airlines money, sure. But the middle-eastern football ownership/sponsorship trend isn't about making money (or if money is made, that's a nice corollary). It's about status, with football team ownership as basically a trophy, and, more importantly, it's positive branding for the nations involved.

Participating in high-profile world football is a very shrewd strategy to make the rest of the world have positive associations with, for example, Qatar and the UAE. Image improvement draws foreign investment and starts building up cultural capital for nations that want to push their image beyond being oppressive, petrodollar kingdoms largely defined by either their perceived antipathy towards or alliances with Euro-American powers.

In *that* sense, I think it's a very smart use of marketing dollars.
Which is why I don't wear shirts with Etihad on them.

Quick question. I noticed some authentic jerseys worn at Yankee Stadium were without an MLS patch on one sleeve. And I asked a few people about this and they bought through official channels.

Is that on purpose or a defect? I figure its meant to be empty so you can add a patch of your choice to one sleeve.

I didnt read the entire thread...so this may have been answered already.

Quick question. I noticed some authentic jerseys worn at Yankee Stadium were without an MLS patch on one sleeve. And I asked a few people about this and they bought through official channels.

Is that on purpose or a defect? I figure its meant to be empty so you can add a patch of your choice to one sleeve.

AFAIK, the one sleeve patched jerseys are replicas. I have one, bought at a Modell's for $85. It also doesn't not have the inaugural season patch on the waist.

That's on purpose. One patch indicates that it is a replica jersey. There a bunch of differences between the replica and authentic jerseys.

Thanks guys. Ill read through the thread more to find out more of the differences.