Away - 03/21 Colorado Rapids

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Game day thread for our 3rd game of the year.
Set this one up a bit late. Will continue to post up two games out.

Saturday March 21st 4:00 PM
On YES

Preview http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/away-03-21-colorado-rapids.2487/page-2#post-59666

Here's link to a Colorado Rapids podcast about this weekend's game (they will have another podcast on Friday for more on this weekend's game)

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2015/03/rapids-podcast-countdown-continues-visit-nycfc

Colorado is much deeper talent wise than last year. They can absorb the two suspensions received from the Philly game but there will be opportunities for Villa. Hopefully Villa is not affected by the altitude (but a lot of new players are affected by it). NYCFC should attack down the left side and down the middle. I'm hoping David Villa can play as he did against the Revs because that would bode well. I would also bring Shelton in for Nemec after ~60 minutes to attack against Sjoberg.

Brown is transferring to Norway (http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci_27727234/deshorn-brown-dealt-by-rapids-norwegian-club-v?source=rss). I'm sure he will hit Mix up for some tips before he goes.

Colorado is relatively young and athletic supplemented with a couple veterans (Vincente Sanchez and Marcelo Sanchez). Hopefully we can score early.

The Rapids lineup could look like:

GK: Clint Irwin
RB: Marlon Hairston (young 20)
CB: Shane O'Neill (good but young 21) and Axel Sjoberg (he is 6'7" - would make Adam seem tiny)
LB: Michael Harrington
DM: Lucas Pittinari
CM: Marcelo Sarvas
LW: Vincente Sanchez (or Dillon Serna and Vincente plays center mid)
CM: Gabriel Torres (or Vincente Sanchez) - can be dangerous
RW: Juan Ramirez
CF: Dominique Badji (or Gabriel Torres)

Pablo brought on a couple Argentines and several other players from south of the border. They have several super subs as well like Sam Cronin, Dillon Powers and Deshorn Brown (very fast).

Colorado will try to deny Mix the ball so more will fall on AJ and Ned and Sebastian.

The Rapids are stressing fitness and taking advantage of the altitude. They seem confident that our backline can be beaten so if the outside backs get too far up, look for the counter. How our backline plays will have a lot to do with the final result.

EDIT - I see that Marc Burch is on the roster as well (a veteran left back). Pablo could conceivably play both Burch and Harrington at the same time so there is more experience on the back line (similar to what Jason Kreis has done by moving Wingert from left back to left center back).

Deshorn Brown is now going to Norway (http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci...n-dealt-by-rapids-norwegian-club-v?source=rss) so he is unavailable. I'm sure he will hit Mix up for tips.

Last edited:
From MLS "Armchair Analyst" Q&A:

Bob theBuilder
Matt what's likely Colorado 's starting lineup, because after our first game I have a lot of questions on that?

thumbnail

Matt Doyle
Staff
I honestly don't know. But if I were forced to guess:

GK: Irwin
RB: Hairston
CD: O'neill, Sjoberg
LB: Harrington
DM: Pittinari
CM: Sarvas
LW: Serna
AM: Sanchez
RW: Ramirez
CF: Badji

Mind you, that's not what I'd do. But it's what, gun to head, I think Pablo will do."

----------

Also, Colorado Rapids have this speedster -- Deshorn Brown -- who is likely to get playing time if not start the match.

Man may have to miss this game :(. Hope I can get home in time to catch it.

Hope that their suspensions and injuries will have us win; don't know how many of the supporters can make the trip to be there...

Playing at this altitude is difficult for teams that are not used to it (especially the second half). However, having coached RSL for seven years as well as faced Colorado frequently, Jason must have his ideas on how the team can be successful in adapting to the mountain region (RSL has a high elevation but Colorado is at least 1,000 feet higher). Does anyone know the team's plans for this week?

Reactions: Paul
I want the same starting XI as last night. If I had to make a change it would be Facey for Williams, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I am excited about the first YES televised game as well. We need 3 points. I think it'll be the same starting line up and similar subs as well.

This game is the perfect opportunity to get some of the kids some experience starting. I really hope we don't just keep sticking to this lineup since we've been winning. We could have easily lost these games by a lot without copious luck.

Facey, despite his limited minutes, showed more to me than Williams. Better on the ball, better pace, better defender. Not as physical as Williams though.

Can Williams play LB?

Reactions: NYCFC 12th man
I would play Kwame instead of Brovsky for this one, as he's used to the altitude and move Wingert to left back. I reckon Kreis will go with the MLS vets for this one so I can see Ballouchy starting ahead of Mix, Velasquez or Nemec.
I also expect him to keep it narrow and flood the midfield to give them some rest-bite.

.......................................Saunders.....................................
.....Williams......Hernandez.......Kwame........Wingert........
.......................................Jacobson.....................................
..............................Mix.................Grabavoy......................
.......................................Ballouchy....................................
..............................Nemec............Villa...............................

Subs: Fitzgerald, Facey, Brovsky, Poku, Velasquez, Alvarez/Mullins, Shelton

A lot of folks are worried about the altitude with good reason but colorado has a bunch of new players who have never played a 90 minute game at Colorado. How do you think that 6'7" Norwegian dude is going to do when fresh legged Kheiry (or Taylor if Kheiry starts) is running at him in the 60th minute.