Away - 03/21 Colorado Rapids

-------------Villa--Nemec------------
Lampard--Mix--Jacobson--Shelton
Wingert--Facey--Hernandez--Williams
--------------Saunders----------------

Reactions: Kubah
I think the midfield looked bad because the defense and Saunders were constantly hoofing it up field, bypassing them. How many times did we see AJ and Mix running either into the final 3rd or running back to defense?

I feel a constant need to defend Velasquez, because he is often outed in the chat and here as a terrible player (well mainly a semi-drunk Midas but still). He actually created almost all of the offense in the 1st half and then faded in the 2nd. He either needs a new sleep/med regiment or Kreis needs to sub him faster.

Glad the result went exactly as I thought. 0-0 on the road in Colorado is good.

-------------Villa--Nemec------------
Lampard--Mix--Jacobson--Shelton
Wingert--Facey--Hernandez--Williams
--------------Saunders----------------
If Facey can get it together by then, today was not a good audition. I think lampard steals time from Mix or AJ.

Reactions: BlueCityRadio
Mls live it is. Not even going to bother with that fox sports app.
I thought the Fox Sports Go App was a subscription App. I could be wrong, I had used it a few years ago for UEFA game but it was expensive. Maybe I havethe wrong app.

I've had MLS live for years. It's expensive too, but it's a great app. You can watch on your phone, tablet or desktop. The games are archived so if you can't watch it live you can still see it. And trust me, you will get addicted to the Condensed Match Replay.

The condense every game into a 20 min highlight reel. Best way to keep up on the entire league without watching 8-10 matches a weekend.

It's tempting to write that game off site to travel and altitude, but it's not like weve never played that way before. Kreis complained about the energy in the second game in Manchester. We looked overrun in the first half against OC, and a few times in Charleston. If I was game planning against us, I'd mark villa and mix out of the game, and let the rest of the team try to beat me, not happening.

I thought the Fox Sports Go App was a subscription App. I could be wrong, I had used it a few years ago for UEFA game but it was expensive. Maybe I havethe wrong app.

I've had MLS live for years. It's expensive too, but it's a great app. You can watch on your phone, tablet or desktop. The games are archived so if you can't watch it live you can still see it. And trust me, you will get addicted to the Condensed Match Replay.

The condense every game into a 20 min highlight reel. Best way to keep up on the entire league without watching 8-10 matches a weekend.
I used the fox sports go app yesterday and it was fine! Just have to log in with a Time Warner Cable subscription.

Nemec did good today, he had more shots and had the same number as goals as Shelton. I am not sure why so many think just swappng them will change the word. With Nemec on NYC is undefeated. Kreis isn't going to change that.

Huh? We've already seen in the first three games that Shelton completely changes the attack when he comes on. It's like a different team. Shelton is fast, smart and strong, and it's clear he's a much better player than Nemec. Why wouldn't you start him?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Khiry even did a better job of winning the ball after our defenders booted it up the field and he had to control it and get others involved, something that is supposed to be Nemec's biggest strength.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Some thoughts on yesterdays game:

- Velasquez was very spotty on defense, in fact Colorado's first three chances were due to defensive lapses by Velasquez. That being said, he was getting into the action on offense, pulling defenders towards him off the ball and generally the most creative player on NYCFC's side.
- Colorado played a high touch high tempo game which NYCFC couldn't keep up with. Maybe a combination of jet lag and altitude. Powers was dangerous and should have had at least one goal. Seems like he targeted one on one's with Facey and he came out on top.
- Nemec is good but I feel he plays the position incorrectly. He should post up, protect the ball with his size, let the offense transition and lay it off when they have numbers up. For some reason, it seems like he wants to lead the line and use a combination of speed and footwork that he doesn't seem to have.
- Goes without saying, but if you don't shoot you don't score. Until Lampard gets here, someone needs to boot it from 30 yards out to keep the defense honest.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Can't compare Shelton and Nemec. Nemec is playing as a target forward and Shelton is playing as a RW/RM. Entirely different needs and asks being made of them.

Huh? We've already seen in the first three games that Shelton completely changes the attack when he comes on. It's like a different team. Shelton is fast, smart and strong, and it's clear he's a much better player than Nemec. Why wouldn't you start him?
And I'll say it again, until NYCFC start losing Kreis can point to brining Shelton in late as a reason to keep Nemec and Khiry exactly where they are.

And I'll say it again, until NYCFC start losing Kreis can point to brining Shelton in late as a reason to keep Nemec and Khiry exactly where they are.

I don't see that as a reason not to make changes to maximize the performance of the team. In all honesty, other than the home match, they haven't played very well. Nothing amazing that would stop Kreis from messing with it. It's clear that something needs to shift around. One could say that MAYBE they could have beaten Orlando and Colorado if they started Shelton over Nemec. Why wouldn't you play your better player? Maybe Kreis has some master plan, but if things continue as they are, I don't see how he can keep Shelton on the bench.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Do you agree with that sentiment, or are you just saying how you think Kreis will handle it?
I think it is working so far. Yes I want more goals, more offense. Yes I want to see Shleton light up MLS defenses. But I think Kreis knows what he is doing and it's good enough for now.

We'll see this weekend how good NYC's depth is with Nemec and Shelton gone for international duty.

Reactions: Drainyoo
It is very early days yet and has a completely new club we have a lot less experience than Orlando.

It is clear to me that JK is going with guys he trusts who have experience in the MLS. I have read Williams missed out because of a blood clot, and that is why Facey played.

So that tells me he would have kept the same team if Williams was fit.

Now Shay is a much better player than he showed this game. I have no argument on reading people's views on him on that display, however like everyone else he needs time to bed in, whether that is as a starter or more likely off the bench. I still don't believe he committed a foul for the second yellow. He pulled out when he saw the guy kick the ball too far and I believe the ref got the call wrong.

I expect to see Shelton, Calle, Poku and Mendoza gradually come into the team as the season progresses.

It still is a good start from the first 3 games. So now to the next game.