Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Couple of you asked for the second game out to be posted as well.

Sunday July 10th 8pm kickoff.
FS1 Broadcast

Hopefully going for our 5th straight at this point.

SKC needed an injury time header by Besler to beat the struggling crew down to 10 men for the last 40 minutes (crew even tied it up with 10 men).

Before the NE match, PV said he asked the veterans how they felt and if they could go or needed a rest. All said GO. Now while the team looked universally depleted by the end of the match, I fully expect the lot of them to respond before SKC that they're all ready to go again. And PV has a tendency to play the hot hand so I fully expect to see the same lineup out there again.

The only caveat is that during the match, it was evident all of the players were wearing their GPS pennies under the jerseys - sweat profiles gave that away - so if the tech shows a player(s) was redlining during NE & their benchmark vitals don't recover over the next few days, that may end up being the method to overrule the player's bravado.

Still, I think as the top team in the East, we're now in a position of wanting/needing to protect our lead and try to extend it when possible. There's a full week off to recover before Montreal, and rotating a winning lineup could lead to a missed opportunity vs SKC (who is not lighting it up). Plus, no team has had a 5gm win streak this season, only RB has had a 4gm, and there's no reason to be tied with them.

SKC is not winning at home this year as often as they did in last year's return to the Western Conference. They were 10-2-5 (W-L-T) at home in 2015, and this year they are 5-4-1. Hope we're able to pull off our 5th win in a row

The only caveat is that during the match, it was evident all of the players were wearing their GPS pennies under the jerseys - sweat profiles gave that away - so if the tech shows a player(s) was redlining during NE & their benchmark vitals don't recover over the next few days, that may end up being the method to overrule the player's bravado.
Do we know what features those things have? GPS I assume is a given, no idea on what benchmark vitals - to borrow your phrase - they can/are tracking. Would be interesting...

Do we know what features those things have? GPS I assume is a given, no idea on what benchmark vitals - to borrow your phrase - they can/are tracking. Would be interesting...

The StatSports site (http://statsports.com/football/) lists these as the 'primary metrics':
> Speed
> Distance
> Accelerations
> Decelerations
> Heart Rate Variability
> Sprints
> Dynamic Stress Load
> High Speed Running
> High Metabolic Load Distance
> Average Metabolic Power
> Step Balance
but I'm sure all this can be analyzed even further to get better data.

The StatSports site (http://statsports.com/football/) lists these as the 'primary metrics':
> Speed
> Distance
> Accelerations
> Decelerations
> Heart Rate Variability
> Sprints
> Dynamic Stress Load
> High Speed Running
> High Metabolic Load Distance
> Average Metabolic Power
> Step Balance
but I'm sure all this can be analyzed even further to get better data.
As a man working in sports medicine and with a masters in human biology, I have no idea how high metabolic load distance or average metabolic load can be measured or what that means. The others can be measured with an accelerometer, heart rate monitor and GPS. Metabolic load sounds like something to do with caloric expenditure? Step balance sounds strange too. Sometimes too much info can be a bad thing

As a man working in sports medicine and with a masters in human biology, I have no idea how high metabolic load distance or average metabolic load can be measured or what that means. The others can be measured with an accelerometer, heart rate monitor and GPS. Metabolic load sounds like something to do with caloric expenditure? Step balance sounds strange too. Sometimes too much info can be a bad thing
That's pretty much what I got out of it, but I know little enough about the tech that I probably would have assumed the GPS could do things that are actually the accelerometer.

I would assume that step balance has something to do with turnover of the legs: is the player able to keep a high rate of turnover (peppiness) or are the steps slower and more lumbering/over-striding?

With my running, I know what my daily fitness is like based on my average pace, HR, and Step count: but relating to step count, if my steps/min are higher, that typically correlates with me having more energy/less fatigue and a faster pace, whereas if it's lower, I generally over-striding to compensate for not having the leg turnover.

That's pretty much what I got out of it, but I know little enough about the tech that I probably would have assumed the GPS could do things that are actually the accelerometer.
It can, but the GPS will help the coaches track the players positioning on the field.

trash talking from Vermes

I hadn't seen this until you mentioned. Is the mlssoccer.com article the only one summarizing/quoting his remarks on this? It's all I could find. It's kind of puzzling to me. Setting aside the POV that only MLS can coach MLS, if I am reading it correctly, Vermes attributes some of the lack of Kreis's success to not having MLS personnel, and Vieira's success to having MLS personnel:

"I think the biggest thing is that a lot of the changes that they made within that team are personnel, and the personnel are people that I think are more suited for MLS," Vermes said. "I think that's probably the biggest thing."​

What personnel is he referring to? There's one assistant who was coaching USMNT U18 before joining NYCFC this year, and Vartughian stayed on from first season, but the other three coaches under Vieira are Manchester EDS guys that came with him. Or is he referring to FO Sporting Dep't guys?

I hadn't seen this until you mentioned. Is the mlssoccer.com article the only one summarizing/quoting his remarks on this? It's all I could find. It's kind of puzzling to me. Setting aside the POV that only MLS can coach MLS, if I am reading it correctly, Vermes attributes some of the lack of Kreis's success to not having MLS personnel, and Vieira's success to having MLS personnel:

"I think the biggest thing is that a lot of the changes that they made within that team are personnel, and the personnel are people that I think are more suited for MLS," Vermes said. "I think that's probably the biggest thing."​

What personnel is he referring to? There's one assistant who was coaching USMNT U18 before joining NYCFC this year, and Vartughian stayed on from first season, but the other three coaches under Vieira are Manchester EDS guys that came with him. Or is he referring to FO Sporting Dep't guys?
He's has to be talking about players. Why are people parsing this looking for obscure insults like Jesse Marsch would? It's an MLS lifer throwing cover for another MLS lifer and respected former rival. He hasn't thought about NYCFC's trajectory, he doesn't care, and probably hasn't even looked at our film until recently to prep for the game. He has no idea who the assistant coaches or trainers are and doesn't care. He's basically saying the foreign players we brought in this year are better fits for the league than the ones we had last year as a way to defend Kreis because it's the kind of thing you can say when you don't know what you're talking about. He probably couldn't even go down the player lists to explain his statement without being prompted with names. Who cares? If Vieira thinks of this as an insult I think less of Vieira.

Never said I was looking for obscure insults, was just trying to understand.

In the MLS article, the quote about personnel changes seems to be linked to either a) being from/knowing MLS, or b) surrounding yourself with people from MLS.

Maybe he is talking about players, but I thought using the word personnel was an odd choice. That's why I asked if there were any other articles reporting it, since the quotes are heavily excerpted

Status
Not open for further replies.