Away - 06/14 Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because we don't need to finish 1st to win the cup doesn't mean we can be lax. The Eastern conference is tough this year, it's gonna take a bigger effort to finish in the top six. I say we rotate for the open cup game and be fresh for Seattle. Regular season points are the priority.

Regular season points are the priority.
As much as I rag on the team for inconsistency, I tend to agree with commenters on page 1 that we'll be okay, barring injury, through the rest of the year.

More to the point, I'd argue that the USOC is generally undervalued by fans: (A) It's silverware. Silverware—the bare fact of it—is good for the club for marketing, for political (i.e., stadium) reasons, and for courting transfer targets. We should want all of those things. And, (B), while we may not care so much about the tournament (it's admittedly goofy and underhyped/produced), it has a fairly significant purse relative to "regular season points." It's not allocation money, but it's still good for staff salaries, academy, etc.—all that stuff that goes into producing a competitive advantage in our capped league:
MLS Cup Champion: $275,000

Supporters' Shield: $130,000 (in lieu of conference champions bonus)
Conference Champions: $35,000

USOC Champion: $250,000
USOC Runner-up: $60,000
I'd really like $250,000 for our academy. And even without winning the thing we still earn more simply making it to the USOC finals than we do winning the East in regular season.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/04/mls-cba-details-salaries-team-win-bonuses#

ETA: Oops. Shoulda read more carefully. US Soccer's announcement of the 2017 USOC format says the "winning team" will take the bonus, but the CBA seems to indicate the money goes to the players rather than the club itself.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...-2017-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-format-announced
(nnn) “Team Bonus Pool” shall mean the pool into which the team-based bonuses
set forth in Sections 10.3-10.5 shall be paid. The allocation of the Team Bonus Pool shall be
determined by the Team’s Players and the allocation shall be communicated to the League by
the Union.

Section 10.4 Tournament Bonus Pools: The following Team bonuses will be paid into the Team Bonus Pool for the applicable Team: (i) Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup: US Soccer will pay these bonuses or such other sums, if any, that US Soccer may make available. If US Soccer does not pay such bonuses, MLS will have no obligation to do so.
http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Collective Bargaining Agreement - February 1, 2015.pdf

Last edited:
The discussion started with Adam saying he doesn't care if we have home field for MLS Cup because he won't be in his regular seat.
So the options are
1. we play at home, all STHs go in YS, but not in our own seats
2. we play at home after a new SSS, and not all STH can go (and those who do won't be in their regular seats either)
3. we play on the road and almost nobody from NYC goes.

I have a clear preference for #1. It's one of the few upsides to playing in YS instead of a SSS. But both 1 and 2 are preferable to 3. The option that we all go and sit in our regular seats doesn't exist in this universe.

Stop doxing me, use my handle. Now everyone knows my first name. Jeez...

Who cares if we host the MLS cup final? We won't even be in our own seats. It'll be a strange atmosphere full of suits in the lower decks and a strong away support because we'd open up the whole stadium. Not what I'd call home field advantage.

So in your mind there are a large number of "suits" who don't care about soccer that are going to come to Yankee Stadium to watch an outdoor soccer game in early December?

I always hear that same argument about the Super Bowl crowd, usually made by someone who has never actually been to one.

So in your mind there are a large number of "suits" who don't care about soccer that are going to come to Yankee Stadium to watch an outdoor soccer game in early December?

I always hear that same argument about the Super Bowl crowd, usually made by someone who has never actually been to one.
I can't imagine how bad the field will look in December....

Reactions: Kjbert

Maybe all this pent up anger and resentment is all because I've never been to a Super Bowl :disrelieved: or maybe it's because I'm a jets fan and probably never will :disrelieved::disrelieved::disrelieved:

I can't imagine how bad the field will look in December....
frozen-tundra-960-nl.jpg

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I'd really prefer not to get outdrawn in my own stadium. As a Nets fan that happens enough for me.

That's true - I went to Yankees Mets at YS last year and I'm pretty sure there were more Mets than Yankee fans in 238. Or maybe they were just louder because the Mets won. And it sucked.

But I think STH would keep their seats for CCL, so I think you'd at least have the upper hand in your own section.

The team should pony up for astroturf to lay on top of the yankee stadium field. Play like Portland or Seattle.

Really thought prices on the resale market would go down as game day approached but it looks like things are holding steady. StubHub has been around $30 (minus fees) as the minimum to get in the door.

Time to start thinking about our roster for this one. Some tough decisions. There are guys who will be missing or just coming back from international duty. There are guys we may want to rest since we are playing Seattle three days later. Finally, we are limited to five international players.

International Duty
Camargo, Matarrita, Wallace and Awuah have been called in for games on June 13 (day before this game), so they are almost certainly out.
Chanot and Herrera will be playing a game overseas the prior weekend, so they are probably out.

Injury
Shelton and Pirlo are questionable at best.

Roster
This leaves us with the following, with international players in italics.

Striker: Villa, Okoli
Winger: Harrison, TMac, Lewis
Mids: Minimax, Ring, Lopez, Stertzer
FBs: Sweat, Allen, Gomez
CBs: Callens, Brillant, White
GKs: Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

That is 18 players, including 5 internationals. There are 3 goalkeepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.