Away - 06/14 Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? We lost RSL because we didn't play to win that game. We put out a sub-par lineup and lost. It's the same sort of lineup you're suggesting above.

Or

We can play our starter in both games and make sure we have the most quality on the field.
No, I'm suggesting a lineup that is worse than RSL

Seattle will be without Dempsey and Morris in the Open Cup (and Portland without Nagbe) because of the two national team games before yes? But I assume both Dempsey and Morris will be available for our match
They'll probably miss their Cup Match, but they'll have an extra flight home from Mexico coming on the heels of two hard fought WCQ games, then a cross-country flight here. They aren't going to be fully rested come the Saturday game in NYC.

Reactions: danger
No, I'm suggesting a worse lineup than RSL
Then you're just asking to create locker room turmoil. After the RSL game, Maxi and Ring were pissed about the effort from the team. The starters that want to win the cup game, but can't because they're held out, will not be happy if the b-team flubs it.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Then you're just asking to create locker room turmoil. After the RSL game, Maxi and Ring were pissed about the effort from the team. The starters that want to win the cup game, but can't because they're held out, will not be happy if the b-team flubs it.
They absolutely should be pissed about RSL. That was 3 points wasted. No comparison to losing a game that no one cares about, has no point value, and is played in Harrison, NJ.

They absolutely should be pissed about RSL. That was 3 points wasted. No comparison to losing a game that no one cares about, has no point value, and is played in Harrison, NJ.
Omg, cup games around the world have no point value, but the players care, the fans care, and they all want to win the silverware. Who the Fck cares if it's in NJ, win it and the next can be in NYC.

Seattle will be without Dempsey and Morris in the Open Cup (and Portland without Nagbe) because of the two national team games before yes? But I assume both Dempsey and Morris will be available for our match
They'll probably miss their Cup Match, but they'll have an extra flight home from Mexico coming on the heels of two hard fought WCQ games, then a cross-country flight here. They aren't going to be fully rested come the Saturday game in NYC.

Dempsey isn't eligible to play in the US Open Cup, but that's academic for this round since he and Morris won't rejoin the team until Monday at the earliest. I suspect they will otherwise go close to full team since they've got the extra day to our game, but perhaps the long travel will lead them to hold a couple of guys back.

Time to start thinking about our roster for this one. Some tough decisions. There are guys who will be missing or just coming back from international duty. There are guys we may want to rest since we are playing Seattle three days later. Finally, we are limited to five international players.

International Duty
Camargo, Matarrita, Wallace and Awuah have been called in for games on June 13 (day before this game), so they are almost certainly out.
Chanot and Herrera will be playing a game overseas the prior weekend, so they are probably out.

Injury
Shelton and Pirlo are questionable at best.

Roster
This leaves us with the following, with international players in italics.

Striker: Villa, Okoli
Winger: Harrison, TMac, Lewis
Mids: Minimax, Ring, Lopez, Stertzer
FBs: Sweat, Allen, Gomez
CBs: Callens, Brillant, White
GKs: Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

That is 18 players, including 5 internationals. There are 3 goalkeepers.

For all those bickering about whether to field a full strength team for this match or rest our starters, go back and look at the post above. The 18 is basically set. There is zero wiggle room on that, and we are down to questions about 3-4 positions in the Starting XI. Things like whether to start Villa and bring Okoli off the bench or vice versa. The difference between the bid and the ask here is very small.

Remember too that we are being forced to sit a bunch of guys whether we like it or not. Accordingly, we will have a B+/A- team for this one and a pretty well rested team on Saturday.

For all those bickering about whether to field a full strength team for this match or rest our starters, go back and look at the post above. The 18 is basically set. There is zero wiggle room on that, and we are down to questions about 3-4 positions in the Starting XI. Things like whether to start Villa and bring Okoli off the bench or vice versa. The difference between the bid and the ask here is very small.

Remember too that we are being forced to sit a bunch of guys whether we like it or not. Accordingly, we will have a B+/A- team for this one and a pretty well rested team on Saturday.

Good post. You are basically guaranteed to see McNamara and Lewis to fill the American quota.

Reactions: Sabo and JJJSMAC

Exactly. It won't end up being our best XI, but I do think we will throw out a competitive squad for the match that should be able to take care of business. I would also imagine a similar squad from NJ. They have a bunch of young guys on their team that they would like to get some time, but I imagine BWP and Kljestan will be playing.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
It's a little unfortunate that in these next two games, we will be playing teams with an extra day's rest (NJ after, Seattle before), allowing them to play closer to full strength, but that's the way it is sometimes.

Reactions: Kjbert
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Did you know that the winner of the US Open Cup qualifies for Champions League?
Yes, but after watching the team limp through the last three weeks, I just don't think they need extra games right now. It is a long season and I want to win the MLS cup. I understand and respect your passion to win every time we take the field but respectfully disagree on this game. We'll see what PV throws out there for the Starting XI, that will be the barometer for how much he really cares about it.

Reactions: snugglefarts
Yes, but after watching the team limp through the last three weeks, I just don't think they need extra games right now. It is a long season and I want to win the MLS cup. I understand and respect your passion to win every time we take the field but respectfully disagree on this game. We'll see what PV throws out there for the Starting XI, that will be the barometer for how much he really cares about it.
You make it sound as if playing Ring and Maxi twice in 4 days (against a team playing twice in 5 days, traveling across the country, and one that has managed 5 total points in 8 road matches) is going to single-handedly derail our chances at winning MLS Cup.

FIFY
Did you know that the winner of the US Open Cup qualifies for CONCACAF Champions League?

We can try to project the glory of European cup tournaments and champions league on to North America but as things stand right now it doesn't translate. The only silverware that matters to anyone but the most hardcore fans (and I group most of us on here in that group) is an MLS cup. Attendance looks sparse this year when compared to the last two. So many empty seats even last weekend on a beautiful afternoon and at this point the only attendance driver that matters is winning. Winning to the causal fan is competing for the league title. We as fans need attendance more than anything to make sure CFG stays motivated to invest in quality DPs and to ensure that should a stadium be built it's a reasonable size. Winning some silverware that will take you over +5 min to explain to the casual fan means nothing to them.

As Gotham Gator Gotham Gator points out we don't have many options but at the very least I'd like to see Villa/Maxi/Ring/Chanot/Callens all sit as they are just too valuable to risk injury. It's frustrating but the team essentially made it near impossible for us to compete in the Open cup when they chose the long road approach with the academy. It's not even that we have subpar players for depth we literally have +3 unused roster dead spots. I have no doubt we could send a team out that can beat RB but having the roster to make a run that results in open cup silverware takes considerably more depth than we have. I'd be happy to be wrong but I just to see it happening this year.

You make it sound as if playing Ring and Maxi twice in 4 days (against a team playing twice in 5 days, traveling across the country, and one that has managed 5 total points in 8 road matches) is going to single-handedly derail our chances at winning MLS Cup.
You are obfuscating my point. What matters are points and maximizing our opportunities to get them. Playing meaningless extra games doesn't help that. Utilizing Maxi and Ring in the RB game may not impact the Seattle result, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it. It is clear that many disagree, that's fine. We'll see what PV thinks when the starting XI is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.