Away - 6/30 Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree on all your points. But it’s also for those very reasons that him being a DP is absolutely gut wrenching. He’s not good enough to be taking up such a valuable cap position.
His cap hit is only 200K to be fair. It makes the assessment criteria slightly different in a way I am not ready to articulate because of rather extreme inebriation at time of writing.

Reactions: Schwallacus
His cap hit is only 200K to be fair. It makes the assessment criteria slightly different in a way I am not ready to articulate because of rather extreme inebriation at time of writing.
His Cap hit is $200k with a giant asterisk. He uses one of three DP spots for that so it’s not really just $200k

His Cap hit is $200k with a giant asterisk. He uses one of three DP spots for that so it’s not really just $200k
The asterisk is the part I'm not ready to articulate.

Eta - well basically with his potential I'd take him over an equivalent 200K player, and he's getting paid way more than that without using TAM or GAM. The real comparison is Medina at 200K cap hit over 3 years plus the rest of the squad vs. a full DP over 3 years plus the rest of the squad we could afford with that extra 200K+ of AM / cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: dummyrun
The asterisk is the part I'm not ready to articulate.

Eta - well basically with his potential I'd take him over an equivalent 200K player, and he's getting paid way more than that without using TAM or GAM. The real comparison is Medina at 200K cap hit over 3 years plus the rest of the squad vs. a full DP over 3 years plus the rest of the squad we could afford with that extra 200K+ of AM / cap space.
Or.... a third option:

A $200k youth DP that is certified at this point - not a kid we’re taking a flier on that may/may not pan out. Spend $5-10m and bring in a budding star that wants minutes now before going to a top team. Based on how Medina currently plays, I’m not sure he has a future on a top team unless he miraculously improves.

What Ulrich said. If you watched Brazil-Serbia today, at around 75 min the Serbian coach started subbing in his starts of the future since they were going out of the WC anyway. 19, 20 and 20 if I remember correctly. Any of those guys.

Or.... a third option:

A $200k youth DP that is certified at this point - not a kid we’re taking a flier on that may/may not pan out. Spend $5-10m and bring in a budding star that wants minutes now before going to a top team. Based on how Medina currently plays, I’m not sure he has a future on a top team unless he miraculously improves.
So a unicorn

Reactions: Christopher Jee
What Ulrich said. If you watched Brazil-Serbia today, at around 75 min the Serbian coach started subbing in his starts of the future since they were going out of the WC anyway. 19, 20 and 20 if I remember correctly. Any of those guys.
They won't cost 5-10 million. Teams like Benefica had to take a flyer on them. They don't always pan out.

So a unicorn
Typically when you’re snarky it’s because you have data to back it up, but this time not so much.....

See for reference Barco & Diego Rossi, and while Barco is on the high side of $15m Rossi has a minimal transfer of $4m.

Both are representative of the “unicorn” you think is impossible to find. And both would make our current team multiple times better than Medina.

Eta: RB also hit the jackpot with Kaku at $6m and has gotten 3G/10A

Last edited:
I would love using a DP spot on Serbian Julian Green.

Reactions: Kjbert
Typically when you’re snarky it’s because you have data to back it up, but this time not so much.....

See for reference Barco & Diego Rossi, and while Barco is on the high side of $15m Rossi has a minimal transfer of $4m.

Both are representative of the “unicorn” you think is impossible to find. And both would make our current team multiple times better than Medina.
Hindsight is always perfect tho

Do we really know why he isn't? Or, rather, do we have any reason to think it is not still just an ongoing personal matter?
There is a chant with some fairly outlandish claims going around but it's wildly speculative.

Eta: RB also hit the jackpot with Kaku at $6m and has gotten 3G/10A
For every Kaku, there is a Vernon. Nothing is a sure thing. To think that you can just pick a guy as "certified" for that price is incredibly naive. You have to roll the dice and you want to roll it with the best dice you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.