Not open for further replies.
I'd rest everyone.

This would be my lineup

Taylor - Mullins - Mendoza
Poku - Bravo - Ballouchy
Martinez - Mena - White - Iraola
Johansen

Subs: Villa, Shelton, Lampard, McNamara, Diskerud, Gomez, Saunders

Agreed. Vieira hinted at this last week by saying some people would be playing that haven't played in a while.

Front line is perfect, same with defense. I think Mix could start though. I also think Lampard debuts off the bench. I hope he doesn't start until after the derby game.

Key to the game will be Bravo v Giovinco. I kind of like Mena in there as well - though it's been so long, I seem to remember him playing well and physically in one-on-one situations, perfect when facing a one-man Toronto attack.

I also think Lampard debuts off the bench. I hope he doesn't start until after the derby game.
I agree with this. I'd like to have him playing but I'm thinking I might rather have him first see the field for the first time in a much less important match. I mean, all matches are important of course, but Toronto has Giovinco who has tremendous speed and ability so I'm not sure I'd throw a "new" player in against him. And the derby is such a big emotional deal that I'm not really sure I want the extra baggage of Lampard thrown into it as well. Let him start against Orlando over Memorial Day weekend. Less pressure, more time to heal up and get into game shape.

Toronto has a lot of individual talent, but their back line looked horrendous Saturday night. I won't predict a win, but if we throw out a semi-competent lineup WITH Villa up front, I think we'll be fine and grab at least a point.
I fully expect RJ to muscle Giovinco on the outside and Bravo to get under his skin when he comes into the middle. A rested Bravo will be the difference in thwarting their little weasel.

No way should Lampard be anywhere near are starting 11 maybe a last 10mins impact sub but should not start at all. Forgetting all the off the pitch stuff and his injuries, hes just not good enough and there is no way he fits in PV's system if Mix/Poku don't. He will just stand around and watch as Bravo gets completely outnumbered.
Edit: This goes for the whole season not just Toronto.

Last edited:
This seems like the ideal game to heavily rotate. Not saying we don't have a chance against Toronto. But I'd rather lose with our b-team, than lose with the starters who will be exhausted for Saturday.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's been mentioned that Villa is playing sublime football right now.... anybody else notice that Villa has also stopped pouting mid-game and instead runs-down every ball like a fore-checking hockey forward? I do not think the correlation is a coincidence.

It's been mentioned that Villa is playing sublime football right now.... anybody else notice that Villa has also stopped pouting mid-game and instead runs-down every ball like a fore-checking hockey forward? I do not think the correlation is a coincidence.
He's definitely trying to raise the level of those around him with performance rather than his mouth.

The spirit that this team has shown this season - from Villa flying around like a madman, to Pirlo's defensive hustle, to the exhausted bodies lying around the pitch at the final whistle - all that and more testifies to how well Coach V has been motivating this team.

We should make a predict the NYC line-up thread for Toronto Lol

I think that's a great idea. A weekly predict the lineup thread is long overdue. Less mystery this season, but still worthwhile.

If Villa sits, offensively Poku should take his place. Unfortunately, Poku doesn't want to chase the game and he'll be on the bench again.

What about Mendoza at CF, Harrison at LW and Taylor at RW?

I'd be surprised based on the recent comments. I'm hoping we see him against Orlando or RSL before the Copa break, but I'm guessing we won't see him in Toronto or the derby.

I think that's probably right. Let's remember too that as happy as we are about having him and as much as we are looking forward to him playing, he's a young guy who has never suited up in MLS. He is likely going to have to do more to earn playing time that just getting healthy - especially given our current form.

I am thinking back to our first game against Toronto in the home opener. We bossed that game, holding 57%+ possession, outshooting them 15-10, and taking a 2-goal lead. That was back when we still weren't finishing very well - something that has changed during our 3-game win streak. It gives me some confidence about getting a result on Wednesday against a very good team in front of 30K of their own fans. Of course, we might not be at full strength depending on the lineup, and they have Gio, who can put a couple of goal in all by himself. Also worth noting that Toronto did not have Altidore for the first game either.

I'd rest everyone.

This would be my lineup

Taylor - Mullins - Mendoza
Poku - Bravo - Ballouchy
Martinez - Mena - White - Iraola
Johansen

Subs: Villa, Shelton, Lampard, McNamara, Diskerud, Gomez, Saunders

100% agree with this lineup. Exactly how I would set it up too. Basically our US Open Cup lineup (B Team)...

If anything Villa starts the first half and comes off at halftime or 60'. Saunders will probably start, because Vieira. Does Vieira trust Mena? He came out after like 15-20 minutes after his first start. Maybe Brillant instead, who worked less vs. Portland.

100% agree with this lineup. Exactly how I would set it up too. Basically our US Open Cup lineup (B Team)...

If anything Villa starts the first half and comes off at halftime or 60'. Saunders will probably start, because Vieira. Does Vieira trust Mena? He came out after like 15-20 minutes after his first start. Maybe Brillant instead, who worked less vs. Portland.

I could see Ethan White getting a start Wednesday. Would make a lot of sense to see White. I don't think RJ Allen gets a rest because they will want to body Giovinco.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Villa did 90 x 3 last time, so I can't imagine he would sit out Wednesday. Hopefully he gets subbed out early, give Mullins some time and get Villa rested for the Red Bulls.

Do we sit Lopez so he doesn't get another yellow card, and can play in the derby?

Watching him run all the way back to our goal to defend a counter attack late in the game was amazing, especially since he beat most of our team to get there

Villa did 90 x 3 last time, so I can't imagine he would sit out Wednesday. Hopefully he gets subbed out early, give Mullins some time and get Villa rested for the Red Bulls.

Do we sit Lopez so he doesn't get another yellow card, and can play in the derby?

More likely he stays on the bench and subs in if we need a goal, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.