CCL race

If you all forgive my laziness since I'm sure the answer to this is in this chain, but can someone confirm how CCL works now that there isn't a huge number of permutations?

I think Dallas (USOC), Toronto (Canadian cup), Red Bulls (East champ) and Colorado (clinched next best record) are in. Does that mean that, if one of those teams wins the MLS Cup, there is an open spot? And, if that is the case, and we win on Sunday, is that our spot because nobody but the Galaxy can catch our 54 points and we hold the Wins tiebreaker with them?
This is correct. The above teams are in as you note (technically, we could catch the Red Bulls, but that is almost certainly not going to happen).

If Dallas, Red Bulls, Colorado, or any Canadian team wins MLS Cup, then it will go to next in the standings. For us to finish on top of the "rest of the table", we would need:

A win against Columbus OR
A draw against Columbus AND a LA Galaxy draw/loss to Dallas OR
A LA Galaxy loss to Dallas

This is correct. The above teams are in as you note (technically, we could catch the Red Bulls, but that is almost certainly not going to happen).

If Dallas, Red Bulls, Colorado, or any Canadian team wins MLS Cup, then it will go to next in the standings. For us to finish on top of the "rest of the table", we would need:

A win against Columbus OR
A draw against Columbus AND a LA Galaxy draw/loss to Dallas OR
A LA Galaxy loss to Dallas
Thanks! I had forgotten that if Montreal win MLS cup, that would put us in too (assuming favorable result on Sunday). Actually feels like pretty good odds if Sunday goes okay, because the combined percentage likelihood of Dallas, Colorado, RB, Toronto, Montreal or us wining MLS Cup has to be pretty high.

Thanks! I had forgotten that if Montreal win MLS cup, that would put us in too (assuming favorable result on Sunday). Actually feels like pretty good odds if Sunday goes okay, because the combined percentage likelihood of Dallas, Colorado, RB, Toronto, Montreal or us wining MLS Cup has to be pretty high.

Sorry I can't cite at work from my phone, but one stats site put us at about 50% odds of getting the last CCL spot, which makes sense with the about 75% chance of finishing above LA and then about a 2-in-3 chance of one of us, Dallas, Colorado, Red Bull, Toronto, or Montreal winning the Cup.

Sorry I can't cite at work from my phone, but one stats site put us at about 50% odds of getting the last CCL spot, which makes sense with the about 75% chance of finishing above LA and then about a 2-in-3 chance of one of us, Dallas, Colorado, Red Bull, Toronto, or Montreal winning the Cup.
So a W on Sunday takes us from 50% to 67%.

Let's W on Sunday.

Reactions: Kjbert
We finished 4th overall behind (1) Dallas, (2) Colorado, and (3) New Jersey.

1. The US Open Cup spot was won by Dallas.

2. The Supporters Shield spot was also won by Dallas, so it passes to Colorado.

3. The Eastern Conference spot was won by New Jersey.

4. The MLS Cup spot will go to the winner of the MLS Cup. If NYCFC does not win it, we can also earn the fourth CCL spot if Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, Toronto, or Montreal win it, as they are all ineligible for this spot and it would pass to NYCFC as the next best overall team.

EDIT: Forgot Montreal.

Last edited:

4. The MLS Cup spot will go to the winner of the MLS Cup. If NYCFC does not win it, we can also earn the fourth CCL spot if Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, or Toronto win it, as they are all ineligible for this spot and it would pass to NYCFC as the next best overall team.

Or Montreal!!!

Reactions: sbrylski

4. The MLS Cup spot will go to the winner of the MLS Cup. If NYCFC does not win it, we can also earn the fourth CCL spot if Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, or Toronto win it, as they are all ineligible for this spot and it would pass to NYCFC as the next best overall team.
Easiest elocution is this: if one of the top 5 teams in league wins the cup, we make CCL.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

4. The MLS Cup spot will go to the winner of the MLS Cup. If NYCFC does not win it, we can also earn the fourth CCL spot if Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, Toronto, or Montreal win it, as they are all ineligible for this spot and it would pass to NYCFC as the next best overall team.

EDIT: Forgot Montreal.

Therefore great chances for us.... If the NYCFC will go in CCL the next year, there will be problems about the dates for potential 5 new games at Yankee Stadium ?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Therefore great chances for us.... If the NYCFC will go in CCL the next year, there will be problems about the dates for potential 5 new games at Yankee Stadium ?

Of course there will be problems! We can't even schedule a USOC match in a real venue. And that's a big problem. It's one thing to play the f.cosmos and their 23 fans in a cup match, what happens when Club America strolls into NYC for a CCL match? If YS is not available, it's Red Bull arena or the meadowlands, 0r maybe citi feild if they have an opening. Anything less and you're asking for trouble from a security standpoint.

Of course there will be problems! We can't even schedule a USOC match in a real venue. And that's a big problem. It's one thing to play the f.cosmos and their 23 fans in a cup match, what happens when Club America strolls into NYC for a CCL match? If YS is not available, it's Red Bull arena or the meadowlands, 0r maybe citi feild if they have an opening. Anything less and you're asking for trouble from a security standpoint.
RB Arena would actually be hilarious to host at. It may be the only time the place is filled to capacity outside of a derby match - and it'd be predominantly blue & sprinkled with whatever color the CCL opponent is. But I guarantee the landlords would treat everybody like crap to make sure nothing happened to the venue.

Never in New Jersey !!!!

Citi Field or Columbia.

Citi might not be available. We have a better chance with Columbia, especially for a weekday match. But they only hold 17k. I guess it depends who we play. If it's guatamala, that's probably the perfect size for a weeknight match. A Mexican team with a large following in NYC and it might not be enough.

Reactions: Kjbert
If we host a major Mexican team, I'd have no issues with playing it in the Meadowlands. We'd get teased a little, but if we draw 50k+ for it, people would stop laughing.

For smaller teams, Columbia would be a fine second venue if that's an option.

There have been discussions about hosting games at Red Bull Arena in the past. It's NOT a non-starter.

There have been discussions about hosting games at Red Bull Arena in the past. It's NOT a non-starter.
I personally wouldn't care about this other than that it is a pain in the ass to get to. It is an excellent place to watch a game and I don't think it is any secret that we have a stadium problem.

Plus, there's a meaningful upside which is that it would be pretty funny if we filled their stadium.

I personally wouldn't care about this other than that it is a pain in the ass to get to. It is an excellent place to watch a game and I don't think it is any secret that we have a stadium problem.

Plus, there's a meaningful upside which is that it would be pretty funny if we filled their stadium.

Agreed. Nice stadium (no amenities) with great sight lines all around. Impossible to get to and no parking.

Reactions: Christopher Jee