Chicago (Home) - Postmatch

Slightly frustrating night due to D train problems, security lines going slowly, beer taps pouring mostly foam...

But on the field, not so bad. Not a great game, but relatively comfortable, even if we did do our collective best to blow it up in the last 10 minutes or so.

Useless baldy Kojak-looking prick of a referee throwing out cards like they're confetti. How many soft yellow cards were given to our guys for innocuous comings together?

Still, our team of mostly MLS standard players (AND JIMMY SANDS THE WONDERBOY) beat another team of mostly MLS standard players, so we cheer and go home.

Looking forward to doing it again on Saturday.

My two (or more than two) cents:
1) Sands is hella good. However, there were a few times he made over-weighted through balls, but that's something to improve, he's incredible otherwise.
2) Sweat had a good game. Wasn't amazing or bad, was just good. I was sure they would pump the flank and drown Sweat, but they didn't, and I'm glad that didn't happen.
3) I'm really enjoying this 3-5-2 formation, it really allows Tinnerholm to make runs which was nice to see. Just... give it to someone else because you can't cross, thanks :
4) Heber is a strong-ass man. How many times did he just step into the run and the ball magically came out on his side? It was incredible to watch!
5) How was the hand goal not at least a yellow card? This ain't the NBA, son.
6) Castellanos, in my view, was invisible aside from the goal- he made a few nice runs, but otherwise didn't do too much. (He did assist to maxi when he hit the post, too.) Would be nice to see him + Shradi again, if people are tired for the Orlando game.
7) Ibeagha locked down in defense. I love that man. We have, imo, the two best CB's in the league, plus Seb who has gotta also be in the top 10. It's insane!

oh, and 21k odd for the announced attendance? You're having a giraffe.

Take basically any digit out of that attendance and you'll be closer to the actual number.

Reactions: adam
We were missing Mitri’s aggressiveness.

Maxi should never take another PK. EVER.

Even though the score line won’t blow anyone away. We were never in trouble and had control of the match from the start. We won with only 1 DP playing. 5th place and moving up!
You mean other than that time Chicago blew their 2-on-goal with the offside?

Is there a replay of that gaffe?

Reactions: Kjbert
How this team continues to find space on the tiny field is beyond me. I'll give Dome and PV credit, they've done it (less so in general now, but it was great tonight) relatively consistently over the last few years and it feels like a bigger accomplishment than we've normally deserved at home. No reason we can't beat an OCSC team we've owned recently with a healthy Treats. Medina's days seems to be numbered -- there's just no role in this league for him. No more soft teens, including your google searches.

Reactions: DeGrozz and Jock
My two (or more than two) cents:
1) Sands is hella good. However, there were a few times he made over-weighted through balls, but that's something to improve, he's incredible otherwise.
2) Sweat had a good game. Wasn't amazing or bad, was just good. I was sure they would pump the flank and drown Sweat, but they didn't, and I'm glad that didn't happen.
3) I'm really enjoying this 3-5-2 formation, it really allows Tinnerholm to make runs which was nice to see. Just... give it to someone else because you can't cross, thanks :
4) Heber is a strong-ass man. How many times did he just step into the run and the ball magically came out on his side? It was incredible to watch!
5) How was the hand goal not at least a yellow card? This ain't the NBA, son.
6) Castellanos, in my view, was invisible aside from the goal- he made a few nice runs, but otherwise didn't do too much. (He did assist to maxi when he hit the post, too.) Would be nice to see him + Shradi again, if people are tired for the Orlando game.
7) Ibeagha locked down in defense. I love that man. We have, imo, the two best CB's in the league, plus Seb who has gotta also be in the top 10. It's insane!
The hand-goal was offside before he got close to it.

Lion very cheeky of you hiding the ball in stoppage time. Thank you for your service to the club.
Loved LionNYC LionNYC hiding the ball. Did dome thank you after the game?

I think Keaton “Groot” Parks needs some more playing time. Liked his hustle late.

Sands might be the best defender in MLS. Sands Chanot and Callens all top 10 CB in MLS?

Home field advantage, in all possible ways!

What even happened there? the replay showed the last pass before the shot, but that certainly didn't look off. Was it for a pass before that?

What even happened there? the replay showed the last pass before the shot, but that certainly didn't look off. Was it for a pass before that?
Dunno - I thought the same thing that it looked perfectly legal. The spot kick was right there so I assume that’s what was called, and the entire time it seemed like a really badly missed call. It’s not up as a highlight on MLS website so I wonder if they blew it.

Upgraded to Pitchside. Nice experience. Ate in Legends per recommendation of LionNYC LionNYC - my son ate about a pound of shrimp. Would be nice if they peeled them.

Sat next to Adam Kownacki, the next Heavyweight champion of the world. Wonderful guy and my son got a great photo with him. He’s huge.

I thought the game turned when Mata went out. He’s a different player as a LWB. When he went out for Sweat, our rhythm changed. They had us play down the left with he and Maxi combing and it was shit. I’m sick of Sweat. Someone else mentioned this. His crosses were woeful.

Enjoy Sands while you can. Once he fills out his body, he’ll be sold. Love him. Such a smart player. Was fun to see him advanced later in the game and his composure on the ball with his back to goal.

Thought Maxi played well. Above average from me. He can’t take PKs anymore. Chanot and Sands both have a history as PK takers in their career. He can spot the ball well but he doesn’t generate much power. It’s on Ring now to take control.

Seeing Chanot up close you have a better appreciation for his work ethic. Always puts in a shift. I get why he gets injured so often.

Ibeagha is humongous.

Callens was his usual wonderful self.

Ring was just asking for a card early on. Thought he was great today. Was better in possession and distribution than he usually is.

Ofori may have been my man of the match. I thought that was the best he has ever looked. Maybe there’s a special player in there.

Tinnerholm was good. Not great. Thought he played VERY advanced tonight.

Taty Was ok I thought. He’s dangerous. I think he needs reps and I think he’s still not ready for this level.

On to Heber. Maybe Dome was right. Heber is something we’ve missed for 4 seasons.
He creates so many opportunities with his hold up play and his pressing. I don’t know if he’ll turn out to be a big time goal scorer but he’s a very intelligent player.

I thought the formation played like a 3-4-3 again and not a 3-5-2. Maxi basically played with his feet on the touch line when Mata was in the game. He definitely cut inside in possession but played wide left. I think him playing wide right and Mitrita wide left, with both cutting in in front of our double pivot could work long time. Especially if your double pivot is going to destroy the other team’s midfield. It’s like Ofori just learned how to break up possession overnight.

I don’t think us peons truly appreciate what Sands has done. He’s controlling the entire game from that Sweeper position. It’s astounding. When Chicago pressed during the first half, I thought we looked like Man City. It was beautiful to watch.

Still Dome Out.

That was on Johnson. He still doesn’t know when to come out of goal. He could have easily gotten there.

Reactions: Vallos
That was on Johnson. He still doesn’t know when to come out of goal. He could have easily gotten there.
Until I see a longer replay to understand how that was nullified, Johnson can make that mistake any time he wants if the ref is covering for him. The replay shown on the big screen just didn’t make sense.

Reactions: Jock and Kjbert
Until I see a longer replay to understand how that was nullified, Johnson can make that mistake any time he wants if the ref is covering for him. The replay shown on the big screen just didn’t make sense.

I’d love to hear if you get a better explanation when you watch it. It was in my sight line and made no sense.

I’d love to hear if you get a better explanation when you watch it. It was in my sight line and made no sense.
I wonder if that play is why Chicago’s coach earned a Red - was probably livid with the ref over it.