Chinese Super League

They can want to create academies, but unless kids are forced to enroll, there's no way the climb-to-the-top work ethic parents push will let them divert their attention from technology to sport.

I hear what you're saying, but the same factor ostensibly should make parents reluctant to encourage gymnastics, yet they're becoming fantastic as a nation at it. I think the point is that if the Chinese government says that a particular sport is encouraged as part of China's will to succeed, it doesn't end up taking that much to persuade parents to support it, especially when success in that sport can visibly be seen to be boosting Chinese prestige internationally.

I hear what you're saying, but the same factor ostensibly should make parents reluctant to encourage gymnastics, yet they're becoming fantastic as a nation at it. I think the point is that if the Chinese government says that a particular sport is encouraged as part of China's will to succeed, it doesn't end up taking that much to persuade parents to support it, especially when success in that sport can visibly be seen to be boosting Chinese prestige internationally.
No question, but with both Ping pong and gymnastics, everything is on the athlete so success is in their hands. With soccer, as a team sport, failure is a real possibility if those around you are lacking.

No question, but with both Ping pong and gymnastics, everything is on the athlete so success is in their hands. With soccer, as a team sport, failure is a real possibility if those around you are lacking.

Eh...maybe that would be reflected in the kid's team's results, but at a young age you can generally see the best players rise to the top regardless of their company. The ability for a poor team to make a truly gifted player look bang average mainly manifests at adult level, when players are expected to stick to a script and to know which areas of the pitch they should and shouldn't be in at any one time. When a good player is an adult and surrounded by worthless teammates, and when the inevitable frustration leads to them going off piste, ignoring their teammates and just start making solo runs at goal, if that player is an adult then it won't only make the player look arrogant but will be easily countered by the opponents and turned to their advantage. When the two teams involved instead are young children, that one player who gives up on their teammates and doing it alone - if they truly are the best player on the pitch - usually ends up banging in a couple of consolation goals and further humiliating the rest of their team.

Besides, I rather tend to think that in this situation it would only encourage the parents to press their children into working even harder at their football. It isn't my understanding, for instance, that Chinese parents who see their children under-performing at maths tend to shrug, say "I guess he's just not a numbers kind of child" and push them into other avenues. Rather, what I've heard makes it sound like they would instead go "you're not working hard enough, do an extra hour's maths study a week". If a Chinese parent saw that their child was playing for a rubbish team, regardless of whether they saw talent in them or not, they would likely decide to drill their child all the harder at the local pitch the following weekend.

I wonder if any of the recent signings are going to be pissed realizing they now have fewer competent teammates to play with?
nah. They aren't going there because they give a shit about winning. I mean, they might give a shit otherwise, but I doubt they care more about winning in that league than they would in a pickup game.

nah. They aren't going there because they give a shit about winning. I mean, they might give a shit otherwise, but I doubt they care more about winning in that league than they would in a pickup game.
True! But still, while they may not care about winning, for those 90min it could be damn frustrating to watch teammates piddle around with the ball without making good passes to them.

True! But still, while they may not care about winning, for those 90min it could be damn frustrating to watch teammates piddle around with the ball without making good passes to them.
They're paid well to pretend they don't care, so I don't think that matters so much.

So, sorta like Villa is what you're saying.

Reactions: Ulrich
Welp, the rules done changed. Everyone can calm the f down now. (also posted in roster thread, could also probably fit in MLS transfer rumors)
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...super-league-rule-change-could-open-doors-mls

I'm struggling to work out how CSL teams no longer being allowed to play an Asian player alongside their three marquee players from the European leagues is supposed to change much, because that's the only alteration to the rules I see here.

I'm struggling to work out how CSL teams no longer being allowed to play an Asian player alongside their three marquee players from the European leagues is supposed to change much, because that's the only alteration to the rules I see here.
It doesn't force them to cut euro or Asian in particular, but some of them have to go. The presumption, I guess, would be at least some teams would want to get some money out of dropping a player or two. If you have offers for one and not another, might make it an easier call.

If not there, I'd like to see him here. Can only help.

Like here as in NYC or the league? He's in China, also coached some bumblefuck team i can't remember...so MLS isn't a crazy thought, just thinking that any mid-tier Italian team looking for a coach would be dumb to not try and bring him in. He's a legend to me, but Id have to say him and Viera are probably even as coaches right now.

Thinking about when him and Viera played on that stacked Juventus team that was stripped of the scudetto.

Like here as in NYC or the league? He's in China, also coached some bumblefuck team i can't remember...so MLS isn't a crazy thought, just thinking that any mid-tier Italian team looking for a coach would be dumb to not try and bring him in. He's a legend to me, but Id have to say him and Viera are probably even as coaches right now.

Thinking about when him and Viera played on that stacked Juventus team that was stripped of the scudetto.

I meant MLS in general. Cannavaro is a big name and I'm in favor of bringing former players of that caliber to MLS, particularly at the expense of other leagues that are competing for talent.

Reactions: NickA