Concacaf Champions League

IMG_0229.JPG

On my way next week! Psyched for this. Could be watching history in the making.

Plus McGill girls. Je Parle un pou francais, what!

I just watch the whole match with a friend who's in from Toulouse France. Huge footie fan, but I had to explain Concacaf CL and who the teams were pre-match. He hated the French Canadian accents from the Impact Ultras chants! LOL

Point is that we're not biased. He was SHOCKED it was not a red on that open chance at goal, and we were both looking at each other like what happened when there was no corner before the whistle blown at the half. And he couldn't believe the laser pointer lasted all match. In France they have cameras and the guy is ejected in a matter of minutes.

So we have a totally unbiased footie fan who watched the whole match and completely agreed it was the worst officiated match he's ever seen. That was total garbage, at least they go home 1-1 with an away goal in their pocket. Time to park the bus in front of 68,000 fans and earn a trophy for MLS!

I just watch the whole match with a friend who's in from Toulouse France. Huge footie fan, but I had to explain Concacaf CL and who the teams were pre-match. He hated the French Canadian accents from the Impact Ultras chants! LOL

Point is that we're not biased. He was SHOCKED it was not a red on that open chance at goal, and we were both looking at each other like what happened when there was no corner before the whistle blown at the half. And he couldn't believe the laser pointer lasted all match. In France they have cameras and the guy is ejected in a matter of minutes.

So we have a totally unbiased footie fan who watched the whole match and completely agreed it was the worst officiated match he's ever seen. That was total garbage, at least they go home 1-1 with an away goal in their pocket. Time to park the bus in front of 68,000 fans and earn a trophy for MLS!

The way America played defense, I'd try to get a few goals on them at home and rattle them.

Mexican teams lose their patience very quickly. Get up 1 or 2 goals, then foul and watch them crumble.

Reactions: BxLio91 and adam
you guys are acting as if this is the first time you have seen a concacaf ref. concacaf refs tend to always get bad rep for not being good/ making mistakes and "too afraid" to make a call.

though in mexico there is always the saying that club america always plays with 12.

didnt watch the whole game but only parts here and there, america missed alot from what i saw and montreal did what they had to do. if chivas beats america them or gives them a frustrating draw this weekend then montreal has a chance. Matosas is hanging by a thread, losing ths competition will get him fired for sure.

Reactions: Paul
you guys are acting as if this is the first time you have seen a concacaf ref. concacaf refs tend to always get bad rep for not being good/ making mistakes and "too afraid" to make a call.

though in mexico there is always the saying that club america always plays with 12.

didnt watch the whole game but only parts here and there, america missed alot from what i saw and montreal did what they had to do. if chivas beats america them or gives them a frustrating draw this weekend then montreal has a chance. Matosas is hanging by a thread, losing ths competition will get him fired for sure.
I think having people who express displeasure with corruption is healthy for a culture, whether it be in a company, a community or government, or a sports association. And when the dominant reaction to corruption is a resigned "what do you expect?", then that entity has deeper problems.
Not meant as a personal knock, btw. I get that bothering to complain can seem naive.

I think having people who express displeasure with corruption is healthy for a culture, whether it be in a company, a community or government, or a sports association. And when the dominant reaction to corruption is a resigned "what do you expect?", then that entity has deeper problems.
Not meant as a personal knock, btw. I get that bothering to complain can seem naive.

i see what you are saying and i agree, but this is not the first time ( after many many examples of bad decisions) that this happens. no changes are really made by concacaf in trying to improve refereeing ( at least not that i am aware).

so if the MLS isint saying anything to concacaf ( should montreal lose) then they are also being complacent and resigning to the "what do you expect" mentality as well.

if anything is to be improved then leagues have to go to Concacaf to demand to have their standards improve in terms of refereeing.

i see what you are saying and i agree, but this is not the first time ( after many many examples of bad decisions) that this happens. no changes are really made by concacaf in trying to improve refereeing ( at least not that i am aware).

so if the MLS isint saying anything to concacaf ( should montreal lose) then they are also being complacent and resigning to the "what do you expect" mentality as well.

if anything is to be improved then leagues have to go to Concacaf to demand to have their standards improve in terms of refereeing.

This isn't just a CONCACAF problem. You have it UEFA CL too when they need refs from the smaller leagues who just have no clue what they're doing. Heck, it's not like MLS officials are renown for their skill in officiating.

This isn't just a CONCACAF problem. You have it UEFA CL too when they need refs from the smaller leagues who just have no clue what they're doing. Heck, it's not like MLS officials are renown for their skill in officiating.
i know its a world issue i was just pointing out concacaf since we were all talking about concacaf final.

Are you all saying that the ref is part of a regionwide conspiracy? That concacaf wants him to make that call there? If not, then give the guy a break. Officiating is hard, and who knows what he is thinking there. Oduro was flopping all over the field all night, maybe it had something to do with that. Maybe the ref judged his last touch before the foul to have put him out of range of a scoring chance. Who knows maybe he just messed up which we all do. I have a hard time believing that concacaf is instructing its refs to call games against the americans.

Are you all saying that the ref is part of a regionwide conspiracy? That concacaf wants him to make that call there? If not, then give the guy a break. Officiating is hard, and who knows what he is thinking there. Oduro was flopping all over the field all night, maybe it had something to do with that. Maybe the ref judged his last touch before the foul to have put him out of range of a scoring chance. Who knows maybe he just messed up which we all do. I have a hard time believing that concacaf is instructing its refs to call games against the americans.
No, not at all. There is corruption but that's not it's goal and not how it works. Association officials' primary goals are to make sure that events are successful in that they make money for the association (being profitable for the host country, stadium owner, etc is irrelevant) and that they, the officials are highly compensated in the process. They go to a lot of parties, travel the world, and never pay for anything themselves. Other problems are only a priority if they interfere with this primary purpose of the association.
Meanwhile, officiating is hard, as you note, and policing game officials is even harder. So if a game official is clearly intimidated by local conditions and calls a game accordingly, let it go as long as no on gets hurt and the association's bottom line is not hurt. Hey, it's just controversy, right? That's almost a positive! Any energies spent on that take away from the main goal, which is that the international lifestyle of high-ranking officials be maintained. If a local host fails to enforce FIFA rules on laser pointers, well, that's a shame but again, not the point.
Conceptually, the corruption is an extreme example of the Principal-Agent problem or Agency Costs. The textbook examples of this are when management of a company acts in management's interest instead of the shareholders, or government insiders act for their own benefit instead of the public. As tough as those problems are to solve, at least companies and governments have some accountability to shareholders and voters who should have an interest in policing matters. It's even worse for non-profit entities whose theoretical Principal is not shareholders, or voters, but an ideal, whether it be improving the environment reducing poverty, or what not. Because ideals cannot act on their own behalf and police the insiders. And while lots of non-profits do great stuff, some are basically fiefdoms run for the benefit of the insiders, with no need to produce a profit, show results, or answer to voters or shareholders, or the SEC or anything. And the worst sorts of non-profits in this regards are ones that don't even rely on donations, but have a product to sell, like sports. Because donors can be bamboozled but once they do catch on they will stop giving. But where else can you g to get your international soccer fix?
Here the theoretical Principal of Football Associations is football/soccer itself, and the sport cannot defend itself. You see the same exact thing in Olympic committees.