Crew SC owner considers moving team to Austin, Texas

This is fucking terrible. It was bad when San Jose moved early on and it's bad now.

He should be forced to sell or fold the team instead of relocating it. This is a joke, I hope the city of Austin doesn't give him a penny and I hope the fans in Columbus don't give him a penny next season either.

The only appropriate solution is him spending his money to build a nice stadium in downtown Columbus as a 'mea culpa' to the fans.

He should be forced to sell or fold the team instead of relocating it. This is a joke, I hope the city of Austin doesn't give him a penny and I hope the fans in Columbus don't give him a penny next season either.
I’ve got mixed feelings on this, clearly. But agreed in re public funding and possible boycott.

I’ve got mixed feelings on this, clearly. But agreed in re public funding and possible boycott.
If this is acceptable in MLS (as it is in the NFL) it's dangerous. What would be stopping other teams from doing it? NYCFC can't get a stadium in NYC so they threaten to move to St. Louis or Phoenix or San Diego.

I just hope the outrage is enough for Precourt to realize he miscalculated.

If this is acceptable in MLS (as it is in the NFL) it's dangerous. What would be stopping other teams from doing it? NYCFC can't get a stadium in NYC so they threaten to move to St. Louis or Phoenix or San Diego.

i thought about this as well....but it wont happen as long as Garber is around....we are here basically because he let stuff slide and that easy cash from CFG.

BUT whenever he is gone then yes team can get moved.

Philly is closer to NYC than Austin is to Dallas.
Did you factor in the ease that a Texas driver can exceed the speed limit on the highway without expected congestion and traffic? It’s only twice as far but it could be could be 3x as far and still a better chance of arriving first :)

BTW, Chester is another 15 Miles of traffic to get through :)

Did you factor in the ease that a Texas driver can exceed the speed limit on the highway without expected congestion and traffic? It’s only twice as far but it could be could be 3x as far and still a better chance of arriving first :)

BTW, Chester is another 15 Miles of traffic to get through :)
Says someone who hasn't been in Dallas or Austin traffic at rush hour. SHIT SHOW.

Reactions: twsj91 and Ulrich

Who exactly would NYCFC threaten?

If this is acceptable in MLS (as it is in the NFL) it's dangerous.
Thinking on it, I agree with your earlier post, and with this:
No reason to relocate. Either turn it around in Columbus or sell to someone who wants to put in the work. If you want Austin, put in an expansion bid. The only reason to relocate is artificial scarcity.

That said, I would really like it if Austin got a team :-(

Who exactly would NYCFC threaten?
Right now? No one, but Columbus's stadium is 20 years old. What if we get a nice stadium and 20 years later they can't expand to they threaten to pack up and go?

Dangerous precedent.

Reactions: Ulrich
Last edited:
Holy shit, the balls on this guy.

EDIT: Apparently this might be from an independent group, but even still. The hashtag and everything else about this is just disrespectful.

i still think its a dick move ....do a general MLS party or that whip around MLS decision day show that espn is doing to watch not this....the crew is not even going to exist when it moves gonna be new name etc

EDIT: Apparently this might be from an independent group, but even still. The hashtag and everything else about this is just disrespectful.
I am not certain the group is entirely independent. I’ve been keeping an eye on Austin soccer efforts for a couple of years. This group got a whole lot more corporate just a little while back. Sent out a stadium survey and everything. I thought they were at least in communication with an ownership group in the wings, putting out trial balloons. Didn’t guess it would be this one.

Two more things:

(1) They’ve very quickly jumped on this. Their site now is talking about “our club” the Crew. No reaction, no discussion. Just straight into spin. This was coordinated.

(2) https://medium.com/supporters-union/mls-in-austin-via-columbus-ohio-e3e2ebd25726 https://medium.com/supporters-union/mls-in-austin-via-columbus-ohio-e3e2ebd25726

...someone should do a real report on this.

Right now? No one, but Columbus's stadium is 20 years old. What if we get a nice stadium and 20 years later they can't expand to they threaten to pack up and go?

Dangerous precedent.

If in 20 years, we are averaging fewer than 20K fans in the biggest city in the country - nothing to complain about.

This is just a way of saying I don't think we have that much to worry about.

If in 20 years, we are averaging fewer than 20K fans in the biggest city in the country - nothing to complain about.

This is just a way of saying I don't think we have that much to worry about.
Crew fans thought it was weird when they affiliated with the Austin Aztex a few years ago.
NYCFC fans think it's weird that we are affiliated with San Antonio.

This is fucking terrible. It was bad when San Jose moved early on and it's bad now.

The only appropriate solution is him spending his money to build a nice stadium in downtown Columbus as a 'mea culpa' to the fans.

Not sure where everyone is getting the "he wants to extort money from the taxpayer" from but he and the Austin mayor have said the stadium would be privately financed 100% - no public funds.

And he wants to build a stadium in downtown Columbus with his own money now. Why the outrage?