• Backline/SJ

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Harrison

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ring

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great win today. Can barely speak, and I'm likely high on the medication I took to get through the match, but it was well worth bracing the cold (it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, mind).

Ring, Callens, Maxi, and Villa were all exceptional in my view (the last among that list continued to try to the audacious until it came off, as a seasoned pro does). Wallace and Harrison made the wings their kingdom and I was actually confident Johnson would take care of things when DC was in on goal (a far cry from last season, or the one before). I even think Pirlo did much better than others are saying—he gives us a calm and composure in tight situations that allowed us to play out from the back on many occasions. Other players looked to him to get them out of trouble, and he usually delivered (there's really no higher praise than that).

An absolutely dominant win which I hope we use as a springboard for the rest of the season.

He didn't play much defense at all today. Ian Joy was all over him on multiple occasions calling out his lack of tracking runs in behind. Think Herrera could play the position better. He played some great balls into our forwards when he subbed on. Also allowed Ring to move into a more advanced role.
Love Ian... I may have some performance enhancing beers in my system but it seemed like he was the box to box midfield presence we have been missing. I thought he played well and was dangerous moving forward. He had some nice combo's with Jack.

Couple of random, happy thoughts.

Harrison was very good on defense today. Showed good closing speed, and cleared the ball from the back post a couple of times

Villa receiving the ball in midfield opened up a lot of the game. Usually him coming back for the ball is a bad sign that he isn't getting the ball, but it worked today.

Defense was surprisingly composed, but I still clench tight when the ball goes back there

Harrison was very good on defense today. Showed good closing speed, and cleared the ball from the back post a couple of times.

I noticed this too. Especially in the second half, showed well tracking back on defense.

Reactions: Sabo
Haven't read anyone else's comments yet, and I wanted to post so much at half time. Sadly, security and I broke my phone.

Anyway, this was the best game we've ever played. By far. Spectacular football. No one sucked. Even Norris gets a 6.

Rodney Wallace was incredible. Man of the match for me, along with Chanot. May not have come across on tv, but he didn't put a foot wrong. And He was aggressive.

Sean JOHNSON. Fucking beautiful keeper. At least 2 goals we would have given up with Saunders on chances that never materialized due to his spectacular starting position.

Callens also huge. Just outshined today.

Matarrita defended, too. An played a true professional game.

Ring is a bar fight with a number on its back.

Villa was villa. What we expect and get regularly.

Maxi was a beauty. An 8 of 10 and MOTM most days. But Wallace and Chanot were so good today. Wallace has world class movement. He was making 2-3 runs while the ball was still in our half. And his defending and dropping in is fucking killer.

My quibble would be Tommy for Rodney, but even that worked fine today.

All in all, it was easily the best game we've ever played. Truly top-notch, beautiful football. We controlled the ball at will, and we broke with pace when the opportunities were there.

Haven't read anyone else's comments yet, and I wanted to post so much at half time. Sadly, security and I broke my phone.

Anyway, this was the best game we've ever played. By far. Spectacular football. No one sucked. Even Norris gets a 6.

Rodney Wallace was incredible. Man of the match for me, along with Chanot. May not have come across on tv, but he didn't put a foot wrong. And He was aggressive.

Sean JOHNSON. Fucking beautiful keeper. At least 2 goals we would have given up with Saunders on chances that never materialized due to his spectacular starting position.

Callens also huge. Just outshined today.

Matarrita defended, too. An played a true professional game.

Ring is a bar fight with a number on its back.

Villa was villa. What we expect and get regularly.

Maxi was a beauty. An 8 of 10 and MOTM most days. But Wallace and Chanot were so good today. Wallace has world class movement. He was making 2-3 runs while the ball was still in our half. And his defending and dropping in is fucking killer.

My quibble would be Tommy for Rodney, but even that worked fine today.

All in all, it was easily the best game we've ever played. Truly top-notch, beautiful football. We controlled the ball at will, and we broke with pace when the opportunities were there.
Agree 100%.

Maxi brings, among other things, something I complained a lot last season about not having: the ability to play out of tight spaces. It was a great feeling to have a player who can maintain control even when he's being closed in on by three defenders and pressed to the touchline.

Also, his scoring run into the box was a thing of just simple, professional beauty, and Villa was right on the wavelength. More of that, please.

Also, we should have Alan Kelly every match. He's the only guy who doesn't let defenders shove us down from behind on every play. Can't overstate how much that changes the game. Hope it's reflected by others throughout the year.

Great win today. Can barely speak, and I'm likely high on the medication I took to get through the match, but it was well worth bracing the cold (it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, mind).

Ring, Callens, Maxi, and Villa were all exceptional in my view (the last among that list continued to try to the audacious until it came off, as a seasoned pro does). Wallace and Harrison made the wings their kingdom and I was actually confident Johnson would take care of things when DC was in on goal (a far cry from last season, or the one before). I even think Pirlo did much better than others are saying—he gives us a calm and composure in tight situations that allowed us to play out from the back on many occasions. Other players looked to him to get them out of trouble, and he usually delivered (there's really no higher praise than that).

An absolutely dominant win which I hope we use as a springboard for the rest of the season.
You should add Chanot to your list of exceptional players. He was calm, cool, and broke up many attacks.

And one more thing I was surprised and pleased by: we created chances with Pirlo on the field that didn't come from Pirlo.

We were a functional footballing unit today. I can't complain about anything on the whole, other than to nitpick some silly shit.

Jack Harrison had one of his best games ever, and I didn't mention him in my first post. That's how good we were as a team. Jack's positioning, defending and decision making is already being improved by competing with Maxi and Rodney.

It will be hard for a guy like Shelton to find minutes on this squad when we are playing like this. mgarbowski mgarbowski the Lord does answer prayer.

And one more thing I was surprised and pleased by: we created chances with Pirlo on the field that didn't come from Pirlo.

We were a functional footballing unit today. I can't complain about anything on the whole, other than to nitpick some silly shit.

Jack Harrison had one of his best games ever, and I didn't mention him in my first post. That's how good we were as a team. Jack's positioning, defending and decision making is already being improved by competing with Maxi and Rodney.

It will be hard for a guy like Shelton to find minutes on this squad when we are playing like this. mgarbowski mgarbowski the Lord does answer prayer.
Especially with Lewis playing his position as well. He didn't even make the 18 and I don't think this will be the only time that happens.